Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Default Daredevil 11 "The Omega Effect" Finale *Spoilers*

The "Omega Effect" finale has a lot to live up to, and I think it delivers on that promise.

spoilers:
    DD gets assaulted by Megacrime, and Spidey saves him while Frank provides cover fire.

They all realize that Cole-Alves betrayed them and took off with the Omega Drive. The device intended to destroy the drive is shot, so they need to come up with a new plan. DD has a hunch where Cole might be, because even though she can't get into the Baxter Building to process the data there's another place nearby where she could.

As he enters the building, Cole follows from behind and realizes he lured her there with his remarks. He wants a few minutes to get the Omega Drive back and save her soul because he couldn't save Frank's. She threatens to shoot him and he notes she's using rubber ammo, but she says she switched out to live. He can't get a reading on her heartbeat because she's using interference from her mic to cloak it. He convinces her to hand over the drive just as Hydra arrives and mows her down.

Frank and Spidey arrive to help DD take down Hydra. DD's worried about breaking the news that Cole is dead to Frank, but he points out to DD that she's gone and there's no blood. She was wearing armor. In a nice touch, she left behind a rubber bullet to let DD know she wasn't ever going to kill him. Frank says he'll find her "if" she wants to be found, which DD finds funny.

After Frank takes off, DD says he's right back where he started with drive, but he's got a new plan. Spidey asks if he needs help and he says no, they'll talk later over drinks and toast.

"To?" Spidey asks.

"Second chances."
    end of spoilers

"Omega Effect" turned out to be a great character study of where Spidey, DD, and Punisher are right now, and it's satisfying while leaving a lot of loose ends to pick up on. So it's a damn near perfect crossover in that it really makes you want to follow DD and Punisher if you weren't already.

Now on to the Spidey stuff. This issue doesn't focus on him much, but Waid nails Pete's dialogue and his dynamic with Matt. His wisecracks are genuinely funny, like when he says, "You break him, you buy him" as he saves DD from the angry mob.

And when DD says spoilers:
    "Thanks, pal
    end of spoilers to him at the end if just feels right. Not a big moment, but certainly a sweet note to close out on.
    Last edited by David Walton; 04-25-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

This is one of those odd situations for me. I think Waid wrote all of the characters extremely well in this issue.

But I just didn't like the plot, and the ending, well, makes it all kind of inconsequential. And doesn't make a lot of sense when they talk about the Audience being gone (since, you know, they stopped Punisher from killing anyone).

I'm used to bad characters but good plot, not the other way around. =p
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

BANNED

i'm just glad puniquette didnt bought the farm, i actually cringed when she was shot. I just hope she knows better then to date daredevil, also i liked how punisher respected spider-man deal,too bad this arc was so short, we need a mini or even shot ongoing of marvel true trinity....thats right, forget iron man,thor,and captain america, the thick lies on spider-man,daredevil and punisher.

Quote Originally Posted by spideybr View Post
    i'm just glad puniquette didnt bought the farm, i actually cringed when she was shot. I just hope she knows better then to date daredevil, also i liked how punisher respected spider-man deal,too bad this arc was so short, we need a mini or even shot ongoing of marvel true trinity....thats right, forget iron man,thor,and captain america, the thick lies on spider-man,daredevil and punisher.
    Spidey has dubbed her Punisherette

I was hoping Punisher and Punisherette would share a kiss, or at least a tender moment

Quote Originally Posted by spideybr View Post
    As Anti-Team up as I am, and as much as the Punisher doesn't really work in team-ups, I will say that Punisher and Daredevil I'll give the most leeway becausee of the more down-to-earth nature of their characters. Spider-Man is the power character in that team-up. =p
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

I loved the conclusion of this arc. I understand how it could make the whole thing seem pointless but I don't see it that way. The story was more or less about Punisherette from the beginning anyway and until we see DD's new plan, we don't know if this was a waste or not.
    Comics are more better.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    I loved the conclusion of this arc. I understand how it could make the whole thing seem pointless but I don't see it that way. The story was more or less about Punisherette from the beginning anyway and until we see DD's new plan, we don't know if this was a waste or not.
    Agreed. It was a character piece. And I'd love to see this teamup become an annual thing.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton