Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Default AvX: Vs #1 *Spoilers*

This is the fight issue.

Iron Man and Magneto trade barbs and blows.

Iron Man tries repulsors but can not get through Mags shields.

Magneto lifts a Utopia tower (each weighs 170 tons) and drops it on Iron Man. Iron Man no-sells the move and gets back up.

Iron Man uses his satellites to channel the magnetic field of Jupiter and hit Magneto with it. Mags no sells, flies into orbit and destroys the satellite.

The battle moves into orbit

Magneto then channels the power of other planets and gets into fisticuffs with Iron Man. He's winning until he feels a planet get completely destroyed by the Phoenix and loses his train of thought. Iron Man then knocks him down.

Magneto is dazed and uttering "Wanda, find Wanda, you're going to need my daughter".

Winner: Iron Man.

Next bout-

Thing vs Namor

Fight begins with Namor punching Thing through the helicarrier.

Thing swerves on some debris and decks Namor back into the water.

Namor punches Thing into a sunken ship but Thing hits Namor back with some treasure in the ship.

Namor punches Thing into a thermal vent and Ben gets some oxygen.

They are both attacked by a giant monster fish and Namor uses the fish to attack Ben (Thing says "Typical, always swinging his big fish around"...)

Namor seems to be hurt (the art isn't too clear here) from the impact of the Fish hit on the Thing.

Namor is at the bottom of the ocean and a little woozy. Thing takes some of the big fish teeth and pins Namor's neck down.

Thing walks away and call Namor jerk. However, the issue ends with Thing coming out of the water and Namor flying out too. The fight is far from over.

Winner (for now) :Thing

The Iron Man vs Magneto fight was much better written than the Namor vs Thing smackdown (there was an element of PIS in that fight).

All in all, for a brawl issue, it did exactly what i said it would do.

Art- 4/5
    Story- 4/5
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

Sounds pretty good....except for the (so far) Avengers bias. Personally I think Mags should have absolutely crushed Iron Man...but in order to be "shocking", Tony wins. Typical.

In your opinion, does this fit in pretty good with AvX #2? Any sign of Cage in the Namor/Thing fight?

Magneto goes to orbit and channels other planet's powers is just nasty. Ironman should have easily died out there so its pretty obvious that Magneto was holding back. I don't mind him losing his concentration and losing the battle, but I wonder if he wakes up will Magneto be going into space with the other Avengers? He now knows the Phoenix is on the way now and maybe he'll let the other X-men know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by infernohara View Post
    Magneto goes to orbit and channels other planet's powers is just nasty. Ironman should have easily died out there so its pretty obvious that Magneto was holding back. I don't mind him losing his concentration and losing the battle, but I wonder if he wakes up will Magneto be going into space with the other Avengers? He now knows the Phoenix is on the way now and maybe he'll let the other X-men know as well.
    I'd like to think this gets followed up. To me it seems Magneto has realized the Phoenix is now dangerous and that Scotts plan will fail, and that's why he murmurs that Wanda needs to be called.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieartman View Post
    When Mags Senses the Phoenix, and realizes how screwed the X-men are if they tried to control it is great, im really wondering if Mags will turn to the Avengers Side?
    I wouldn't say Mags could defect to the Avengers side, but I assume Wanda is on the Avengers side, so maybe you're right.

Why would that be bad? Magneto won't be fighting other X-men, he'd most likely try his hand at stopping the phoenix from coming to earth. He may just save the other Avengers that are obviously getting owned in space. Magneto/Thor vs. Phoenix seems pretty plausible right now.
    Very inventive team-up. I just want to throw in there Gaia, Mother Earth Goddess, who should be part of any preservation of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    and 2 i don't see Mags been with the X Men long and what do he know about Wand being key that the Avengers, X Men and the readers don't know.
    Reality warping powers? I also wonder if Mags is suggesting Wanda go back to Dr Doom and ask Doom to revive her Life Force powers again?
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-26-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Just got a chance to read it and was very glad to see Tony win. He was prepped big time. I knew people would be coming up with all can of excuses like the writers don't know what they're doing and the x-men are getting job because of a movie and PIS LOL! When Batman beats Superman with prep, it's cool, but Tony does it and WTF?!?! Tony won whether you like it or not PERIOD.. In the end Tony left Magneto beat up in space asking for his daughter while flying away telling him that he's going to beat up his friends. " Man in a metal suit versus the Master of Magnetism. If you think this is a no contest. You've never met Tony Stark!' When Emma thought she was going to come out to stop the fight. Tony shut her ass down quick too, but I'll admit I can't see Thing beating Namor underwater. That's like fighting Satan in hell. It's that man's domain. Tony would be dead if it wasn't for Doctor Strange as Tony was almost drowned by Namor while fighting underwater. YOU DON'T FIGHT NAMOR UNDERWATER IN A STRAIGHT UP FIST FIGHT! You better have a plan. If you plan on living long anyway.
    Last edited by TonyStark1012; 04-26-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

I was intrigued with the frontage page to this issue, as it went through a question and answer about what this book is, and isn't. It isn't a book about continuity. It's just a book about matchups. I've never seen this explained in books before. It's almost like it's a groundbreaking new concept for future ways to slot in "Versus" books, much like Bendis did with his Fear Itself Avengers books. I'm not sure about the format yet, but my initial reaction is very favorable to the idea. Showcase the fights, and really work the "heroes versus heroes" concept to the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStark1012 View Post
    Just got a chance to read it and was very glad to see Tony win. He was prepped big time. I knew people would be coming up with all can of excuses like the writers don't know what they're doing and the x-men are getting job because of a movie and PIS LOL! When Batman beats Superman with prep, it's cool, but Tony does it and WTF?!?! Tony won whether you like it or not PERIOD.. In the end Tony left Magneto beat up in space asking for his daughter while flying away telling him that he's going to beat up his friends. " Man in a metal suit versus the Master of Magnetism. If you think this is a no contest. You've never met Tony Stark!' When Emma thought she was going to come out to stop the fight. Tony shut her ass down quick too, but I'll admit I can't see Thing beating Namor underwater. That's like fighting Satan in hell. It's that man's domain. Tony would be dead if it wasn't for Doctor Strange as Tony was almost drowned by Namor while fighting underwater. YOU DON'T FIGHT NAMOR UNDERWATER IN A STRAIGHT UP FIST FIGHT! You better have a plan. If you plan on living long anyway.
    It is clear you didn't read the same book that the rest of us did. First Magneto just gave up when he felt the PF destroy a planet and know it is headed for earth, second before that it is clearly stated that Mags was getting stronger why Tony was getting weaker. The way Mags lost made sense to the story because by taking away his will to fight why focus on something more important is the only way Tony could ever beat Erik. And the part about Wanda is him knowing that the only chance they got is to go find Wanda, which should give us a clue of how bad this is because in AVX 2 he was hoping Quicksilver hasn't got Wanda involved with this mess. I get that you like Tony but don't make it something it is clearly not.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

I really don't know what's going on here.

Since when does Luke Cage duke it out with class 100 bricks?

Since when does Ben Grimm stand a chance against Namor solo?

Hell, I even believe Mags losing to Tony. It's far more of a toss up than a lot of people believe. I feel better about that one than I ever will about Thor losing to Superman.

edit: naw, I take that back. There's no way Mags should ever lose to Tony. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by I Shot Devilot™ View Post
    I really don't know what's going on here.

Since when does Luke Cage duke it out with class 100 bricks?

Since when does Ben Grimm stand a chance against Namor solo?

Hell, I even believe Mags losing to Tony. It's far more of a toss up than a lot of people believe. I feel better about that one than I ever will about Thor losing to Superman.
    Thor losing to Superman is totally believable since they're in the same league. Thor may or may not be more powerful than Superman but the difference is negligible.

Magneto at his peak (especially when he's channeling the power of other goddamn planets) is FAR above Iron Man.

Namor at the bottom of the ocean is FAR above Thing.

It's not an accurate comparison.

And yes, Bendis-wanking Luke Cage actually standing a chance against Namor IN THE WATER is ridiculous.

What's next? He's gonna one punch Drax?

BANNED

When Mags Senses the Phoenix, and realizes how screwed the X-men are if they tried to control it is great, im really wondering if Mags will turn to the Avengers Side?

I guess the question is: Will they take him?

Peace

Agree with you Bullets and Bracelets on both counts. Magneto should've been far above Ironman once he reached orbit and started adding other planets powers to his own. This means that nothing Tony could've thrown would've penetrated his shields so thats why the phoenix was used here. I could see a momentary stun if Magneto suddenly lost a planet, but I still can't see his guard being downed so heavily that Tony breaks through.....I can't wait to read this to see how this went down.

Thing should never beat Namor especially underwater, but since they both came out in the end without a clear winner, its not over yet.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Agree with you Bullets and Bracelets on both counts. Magneto should've been far above Ironman once he reached orbit and started adding other planets powers to his own. This means that nothing Tony could've thrown would've penetrated his shields so thats why the phoenix was used here. I could see a momentary stun if Magneto suddenly lost a planet, but I still can't see his guard being downed so heavily that Tony breaks through.....I can't wait to read this to see how this went down.
    it read more to me as if Magneto stopped fighting. i think he realized how screwed they'd be if the Phoenix arrives. if he had been taken down, he wouldn't have been mentioning Wanda. i think it was kind of cool that he could sense a planet being destroyed.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Bullets& Bracelets View Post
    Thor losing to Superman is totally believable since they're in the same league. Thor may or may not be more powerful than Superman but the difference is negligible.

Magneto at his peak (especially when he's channeling the power of other goddamn planets) is FAR above Iron Man.

Namor at the bottom of the ocean is FAR above Thing.

It's not an accurate comparison.

And yes, Bendis-wanking Luke Cage actually standing a chance against Namor IN THE WATER is ridiculous.

What's next? He's gonna one punch Drax?
    I took it back!

Your Bias is Showing!
    lol you mean my hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by I Shot Devilot™ View Post
    . I feel better about that one than I ever will about Thor losing to Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullets& Bracelets View Post
    I wonder why they didn't have the idea to do a JLA x A, the Fights mini-series within a mini-series back then? Perhaps because they had an actual story to tell.
    (Low blow, I know)

Peace