Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

I really don't mind, why can't Fury have a son with a black woman? They better not kill badass Sam Jackson based Ultimate Fury though. Fury Jr. will always pale in comparison to Ultimate Fury
    Thing of the naow: Please let Scott Summer die in AVX

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Ultimate Fury was always our little inside joke, for lack of better terms; most Ultimate Comics fans were aware of Fury's resemblance to Sam Jackson and that Jackson himself even liked and approved of that likeness. It was one of the "little things" that made being an Ultimate fan special. Now with the real Sam Jackson in the movies, and the likeness spread across the cartoons and even the mainstream comics, that "little thing" doesn't seem so special anymore. Like having a favorite secret secluded fishing spot that you can call your own and then word of its location gets out and suddenly you aren't alone anymore. It's less special.
    Win +1 Internet.

I would also like to mention, of the three black Nick Furys (Ultimate, Movie, 616) Ultimate Fury isn't at all like Movie Fury, with the exception that he's modeled after Samuel L. Jackson. Ultimate Fury has done some crazy shit, even getting banished before. We really have to wait and see more of movie Fury and what Fury Jr. are capable of, but they need not rip off Ultimate Fury's style. That would piss me off incredibly.
    Thing of the naow: Please let Scott Summer die in AVX

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Cinematic Fury isn't as manipulative as Ultimate Fury, unless you've seen The Avengers before me and something happens in that.
    He's pretty manipulative in one key scene. Pretty much exactly along the same lines as Ultimate Fury. He's also pretty bad-ass in general (like just busting out a rocket launcher like a mother-fucker) in a way that really does resemble some of Ultimate Fury's own actions across the first two Ultimates series.

Anyways, this is a really, really, really rubbish marketing grab by Marvel and as someone who's been reading an increasing amount of 616 books lately, it makes me disappointed that eventually I'm going to come across this character and somehow have to accept him as anything more than a fraudulent knock-off.

I think the bigger concern, though, is that it really does seem like Marvel only considers the UU as a 'test ground' for throwing shit at the wall, seeing what sticks, then forcing it into all their other continuities whether it belongs or not when it goes well. I'm all for seeing more representation of the UU in the cartoons or movies, but the mainstream books should continue doing what works for them - not just hobbling together Frankenstein-like images of what works best at focus groups. It diminishes the integrity and the quality of everything involved as a result.

I also am concerned that, eventually, the UU will either just stop - because Marvel's already gotten all the stuff they want from it and it no longer serves a purpose to them - or just falls into something completely unrecognisable with none of the original 'Ultimized' characters left - just legacy characters or heavily reworked characters like Reed Richards. While reading something new is good, I also really enjoyed seeing those original characters in the first ten years of the Ultimate universe, and would really like/would have liked to see more use out of them.
    Last edited by DoctorOak; 04-29-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    You see, I do blame them for going for this "cash grab". I blame them because it will grab them almost literally zero cash. How many Marvel movies have to come out before they realize that the movies just don't bring in any significant amount of readers? How much time and energy are they going to waste with these stupid antics and absurd changes when they should, as you said, be coming up with some clever marketing? They won't get new readers by making a silly change that people who don't read comics, and thus don't go to comic shops, will never even see.
    It's not the comic book store that they care about.

How many more trades will they be able to sell in bookstores? I see more Marvel in stores than I see with DC.

How many will they be able to stock in libraries?

How many more kids (and adults) are going to buy those toys? I will admit I would buy a SLJ Nick Fury figure if it looked like him.

How much free press in media/magazines (mainly black related) will include coverage of Avengers talking to or about SLJ?

So while the comics won't see a sell boost, everything else will.

And you have to ask the question who else are they going to try this with? Could we see a Donald Gloverish Miles Morales in the current universe after Spider-Men? We know something Donald Glover related will be in the new film.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's not the comic book store that they care about.

How many more trades will they be able to sell in bookstores? I see more Marvel in stores than I see with DC.

How many will they be able to stock in libraries?

How many more kids (and adults) are going to buy those toys? I will admit I would buy a SLJ Nick Fury figure if it looked like him.

How much free press in media/magazines (mainly black related) will include coverage of Avengers talking to or about SLJ?

So while the comics won't see a sell boost, everything else will.

And you have to ask the question who else are they going to try this with? Could we see a Donald Gloverish Miles Morales in the current universe after Spider-Men? We know something Donald Glover related will be in the new film.
    That already exists in multiple formats :). They are pretty awesome looking to boot.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    That already exists in multiple formats :). They are pretty awesome looking to boot.
    Tragically, they are much easier to find the ones of 616 Fury.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorOak View Post
    He's pretty manipulative in one key scene. Pretty much exactly along the same lines as Ultimate Fury. He's also pretty bad-ass in general (like just busting out a rocket launcher like a mother-fucker) in a way that really does resemble some of Ultimate Fury's own actions across the first two Ultimates series.
    God, I can't wait to see this movie.

Anyways, this is a really, really, really rubbish marketing grab by Marvel and as someone who's been reading an increasing amount of 616 books lately, it makes me disappointed that eventually I'm going to come across this character and somehow have to accept him as anything more than a fraudulent knock-off.
    Honestly, I'm more bothered by the fact that this is an obvious attempt to subvert the Ultimate Comics line.

I'm seriously thinking that a lot of 616 Marvel fans out there will get such a kick out of the Avengers film that they would have considered giving The Ultimates a try.

Now they won't.

I think the bigger concern, though, is that it really does seem like Marvel only considers the UU as a 'test ground' for throwing shit at the wall, seeing what sticks, then forcing it into all their other continuities whether it belongs or not when it goes well. I'm all for seeing more representation of the UU in the cartoons or movies, but the mainstream books should continue doing what works for them - not just hobbling together Frankenstein-like images of what works best at focus groups. It diminishes the integrity and the quality of everything involved as a result.
    I agree. The UU has always been something of a sandbox environment for the Marvel writers, and we've seen a lot of UU elements affect other Marvel media.

However, I don't think 616 should be aping the 1610.

The only other feeling I can compare it to is meeting a teenager who thinks Queen ripped off "Somebody to Love" from Justin Bieber.

I also am concerned that, eventually, the UU will either just stop - because Marvel's already gotten all the stuff they want from it and it no longer serves a purpose to them - or just falls into something completely unrecognisable with none of the original 'Ultimized' characters left - just legacy characters or heavily reworked characters like Reed Richards. While reading something new is good, I also really enjoyed seeing those original characters in the first ten years of the Ultimate universe, and would really like/would have liked to see more use out of them.
    I've often worried about the long-term viability of the UU, especially during the post-Ultimatum era, but I like the way we're headed. I feel like the line has finally evolved away from adapting the classic 616 stories and into totally uncharted territory.

This is really why Ultimate Comics Spider-Man has become my favorite UU book. During the Peter Parker era, I always felt like I knew where the story was headed. With Miles Morales, I have no freaking idea. And I love that.

Elder Member

Okay so I saw The Avengers and I still say Movie Fury isn't like Ultimate Fury.

"Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    yep, that's what the Marvel company does alright.
    Any scientist who isn't willing to kill for science isn't really a scientist at all.

That is exactly what happened. Well done.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

I've done some thinking, and although it does sort of suck that Samuel L. Jackson Fury is no longer an Ultimate Universe Exclusive likeness, you know what they say: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". The fact that the mainstream universe went through all of that jargon just to copy the UU means one thing: The UU is superior and 616 knows it, and they have to resort to copying them for ideas.
    Last edited by Balfro; 05-06-2012 at 10:43 PM.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    I've done some thinking, and although it does sort of suck that Samuel L. Jackson Fury is no longer an Ultimate Universe Exclusive likeness, you know what they say: "Imitation is the sincerest of flattery". The fact that the mainstream universe went through all of that jargon just to copy the UU means one thing: The UU is superior and 616 knows it, and they have to resort to copying them for ideas.
    Three words: Kree/Skrull War.

Isn't nepotism illegal?

Also, while agree that this rip off is a rip off...the complaint is completely ironic. Ultimatized characters are all rip offs of the main universe. It only makes sense that 616 should reap it's own derivatives. I would be more annoyed if this were done with an original ultimate character.
    My Lexicon is the Cannon Fodder of Megatron. Tumble from the Heavens, Blue Angel harboring chest bombs. The Mogul of Chernobyl - Emir Lye

Quote Originally Posted by Airelle Adam View Post
    Isn't nepotism illegal?

Also, while agree that this rip off is a rip off...the complaint is completely ironic. Ultimatized characters are all rip offs of the main universe. It only makes sense that 616 should reap it's own derivatives. I would be more annoyed if this were done with an original ultimate character.
    Ah, but you see if they rip off an original character only THEN will it be acceptable (in a way) because that's what Ultimate does to them. What 616 is doing here is ripping off a character that was originally ripped-off from itself. Nick Fury was Ultimatized then re-616ized.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF