Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Junior Member NapoleonBlownapart's Avatar

The problem isn't that they're bringing Ultimate Fury into the mainstream universe, the problem is that they're bringing Movie Fury into the mainstream universe. I wouldn't mind if somebody at Marvel said "Fury isn't big with the kids anymore and it's getting hard to believe that a WWII vet could still be active" and replaced him with somebody else, but the fact that they're actually replacing a major character so the comics can be more like the movies is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    It really doesn't bother me at all. If I had to pick, I'd probably rather it not happen, but I have nothing against it. Just like Ultimate Fury was a new take on classic Nick Fury, Marcus Johnson could be a new take on Ultimate Fury. Plus, it makes sense to have a book set up like the movie for new readers.

The only thing that would bother me about all of this is if they completely stop using Nick Fury. Having Marcus and Fury side by side could be awesome.
    The only problem I really have with it is that Ultimate Fury was completely original and iconic. Now he's everywhere; from cartoons to movies to the mainstream comics. Just recently they started bringing original characters into the UU to help separate the two universe' and just as quickly they are having 616 catch up. Next thing you know they'll have a Miles Morales in 616, or even just a black man wearing a Spider-Man costume. They'll call it an homage or a nudge, but I call it lack of originality.

I will say this, though. As much as I dislike 616 I really did like Steve Rogers' costume when he wasn't Captain America. It is refreshing to see it on another character and it really makes Markus look Badass.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    I will say this, though. As much as I dislike 616 I really did like Steve Rogers' costume when he wasn't Captain America. It is refreshing to see it on another character and it really makes Markus look Badass.
    I dont dislike the 616 but I do agree with you about Steve's costume when he was in SHEILD it was pretty sweet.

As for this new Fury dude in the 616 I dont really care too much. I dont read any 616 outside of ASM so I dont feel like I would see that character much as it is. I do think Marvel should have pushed Ultimate Fury more, this would be a perfect time to have a mini on his character. Also there is the whole name confusion if fans of the movies get interested.

All that said as a black man, sweet we got another guy to lead SHEILD!!

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    I dont dislike the 616 but I do agree with you about Steve's costume when he was in SHEILD it was pretty sweet.

As for this new Fury dude in the 616 I dont really care too much. I dont read any 616 outside of ASM so I dont feel like I would see that character much as it is. I do think Marvel should have pushed Ultimate Fury more, this would be a perfect time to have a mini on his character. Also there is the whole name confusion if fans of the movies get interested.

All that said as a black man, sweet we got another guy to lead SHEILD!!
    He's TECHNICALLY Marcus Fury. All they need to do is just not mention his first name.

If I weren't such an Ultimate Marvel fan, this wouldn't bother me. Marvel incorporating movie elements into 616 is nothing new, and has never really bothered me.

As an Ultimate fan, however, this really ticks me off.

I could write a dissertation on why this offends me, but I'll just give the BLUF:

Marvel's hoping The Avengers will bring in new readers, and would rather see them pick up a 616 Avengers book than The Ultimates.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    If I weren't such an Ultimate Marvel fan, this wouldn't bother me. Marvel incorporating movie elements into 616 is nothing new, and has never really bothered me.

As an Ultimate fan, however, this really ticks me off.

I could write a dissertation on why this offends me, but I'll just give the BLUF:

Marvel's hoping The Avengers will bring in new readers, and would rather see them pick up a 616 Avengers book than The Ultimates.

There are still a TON of regular comic readers who don't even know of the Ultimate universe's existence, why confuse new ones who could get turned off?

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    There are still a TON of regular comic readers who don't even know of the Ultimate universe's existence, why confuse new ones who could get turned off?
    In a way though it does seem like they're treating the Ultimates like the bastard child no one wants to talk about by pulling this move.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok C. View Post
    In a way though it does seem like they're treating the Ultimates like the bastard child no one wants to talk about by pulling this move.
    I take offense to that remark :|

With Bendis leaving The Avengers at the end of the year they'll probably want to push the book a LOT.

I hate it so much. It's been said already but Marvel is taking everything unique from the Ultimate Universe and stealing it over to 616. I guess their idea of creativity is taxing the Ultimate writers to create great things and selling a shitload of crappy 616 books.
    Comics are more better.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Codah View Post
    I hate it so much. It's been said already but Marvel is taking everything unique from the Ultimate Universe and stealing it over to 616. I guess their idea of creativity is taxing the Ultimate writers to create great things and selling a shitload of crappy 616 books.
    You should try actually reading the books before passing judgement.

Yeah, as a non-616 reader the concept of another Sam-Jackson-esq Fury out there doesn't bother me because to me it technically doesn't exist since the UU is MY Marvel. But the principal behind their logic is stupidly blatant. "Fans see black Fury on the big screen so we have to make sure he's black in the comics". It is true that they should just push Ultimate Comics more. The fact that the Avengers movie already has the name AVENGERS and includes all of the regular recognizable characters should be enough to bump sales in the 616 books. But Hawkeye and Fury reflecting their Ultimate counterparts should be their attempt at pushing sales in the UU. Instead they're taking those elements (OUR elements) and incorporating them into 616 when it's not even really needed. I can see if all of the characters in the movie were different than their 616 counterparts, but for the most part they are similar enough.

But ignoring the movies and 616 altogether, essentially no it doesn't affect me. 616 wants a black Nick Fury so bad they can have one. We all know ours is the original, and that's what matters.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Come to think of it, actually, Marvel is phasing Ultimate Nick Fury out of his SHIELD Directorship and replacing him with a white guy (what's his name? Flumm) that has a scar over his eye. So technically, without actually doing a universe-swap (because that's already been done with Fury and the Supremeverse) 616 and the UU are trading Fury's in a sense. 616 gets the Sam Jackson variety and Ultimate gets a white guy with a different sort of eye lament. So, this new guy is our new Ultimatized Nick Fury: SHIELD Director with something wrong with his eye. Now we have Jimmy Hudson (aka Wolverine), Miles Morales (aka Spider-Man) and Flumm (aka SHIELD Director). All similar, yet unique, replacement versions of their former (and 616) selves.

Come to think of it, actually, Marvel is phasing Ultimate Nick Fury out of his SHIELD Directorship and replacing him with a white guy (what's his name? Flumm) that has a scar over his eye. So technically, without actually doing a universe-swap (because that's already been done with Fury and the Supremeverse) 616 and the UU are trading Fury's in a sense. 616 gets the Sam Jackson variety and Ultimate gets a white guy with a different sort of eye lament. So, this new guy is our new Ultimatized Nick Fury: SHIELD Director with something wrong with his eye. Now we have Jimmy Hudson (aka Wolverine), Miles Morales (aka Spider-Man) and Flumm (aka SHIELD Director). All similar, yet unique, replacement versions of their former (and 616) selves.
    OMG IT'S LIKE A YIN-YANG!

Seriously though, I typed a huge-mongous post in the Agent Coulson thread on the Marvel board, so I'll be more brief here. I think this is a bad move. It should be perfectly clear to Marvel by now that movie ticket sales do not directly result in new comic book readers. Also, this change (like so many others) is extremely forced, and simultaneously insults the intelligence of any new readers and old readers. For new readers, Marvel assumes they can't handle a little something different when reading source material (sort of) to an adaptation. To old readers, the whole in-universe story behind this is just stupid (especially when you get into the eye-patch, grooming, and name change to Nick Fury Jr.), and we're expected to just lap it up and accept it.

Since this is the Ultimate board, I'll add that any instance of 616 leeching off of Ultimate does not bode well for Ultimate. If the bigger, better selling 616 universe takes all the features from the smaller Ultimate universe, then how long can the Ultimate universe be expected to last? If all the bases are covered in 616, then the UU would no longer be needed. Not good, I say.

Furthermore, following the trend of classic Ultimate characters getting killed only to be replaced by a similar character, I have a feeling that Ultimate Nick Fury might die during DIVIDED WE FALL. If Flumm is the new official SHIELD Director and 616 has Sam Jackson Fury now, the UU officially doesn't even need him. Unfortunate. I hope this isn't the case, because Marvel could have pulled an equally dickish move by simply having our Fury swap over to 616 via SPIDER-MEN and have a slightly more believable result. No "Nick Fury Jr." and technically Ultimate Fury would still be the main show.

Elder Member

Furthermore, following the trend of classic Ultimate characters getting killed only to be replaced by a similar character, I have a feeling that Ultimate Nick Fury might die during DIVIDED WE FALL. If Flumm is the new official SHIELD Director and 616 has Sam Jackson Fury now, the UU officially doesn't even need him. Unfortunate. I hope this isn't the case, because Marvel could have pulled an equally dickish move by simply having our Fury swap over to 616 via SPIDER-MEN and have a slightly more believable result. No "Nick Fury Jr." and technically Ultimate Fury would still be the main show.
    and then we have two Nick Furys, that won't be confusing at all to new readers lol