Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    DC doesn't make superhero movies. WB does. And superhero movies are not WB's bread and butter. They're releasing Batman, Dark Shadows, and The Hobbit this year. You can see why devoting all their energy to superheroes isn't their modus operandi. Now, if they let DC move all those characters into the DCE division and let DC make them, in-house, then you can say whatever you want about DC.
    Bottom line: DC doesn't have a studio to make its own movies.
    Semantics. WB/DC dont have a clue of what they're doing. DCE is supposed to counter that and provide some guidance in regards to DC properties being adapted in other media. Their first movie related project was GL and they failed. Let's see how they do in the future.

Also, they said that since Harry Potter is over they wanted to replace him with superhero movies. Green Lantern was going to be that family friendly superhero franchise that would hook all the kids that Harry Potter left over, but it failed miserably. I hope that hasnt deterred them from trying again because Marvel proves that superhero movies can work and be successful, even without Nolan and his serious, pragmatic and cynical take on superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Semantics. WB/DC dont have a clue of what they're doing. DCE is supposed to counter that and provide some guidance in regards to DC properties being adapted in other media. Their first movie related project was GL and they failed. Let's see how they do in the future.
    They failed IMO largely because WB recut the film and edited all the human bits out of it to make room for more crappy CGI.
    DCE has not actually ever had as much as single chance to go and try make a good superhro film.

It's not semantics. WB do have a clue about what they're doing, and what they're doing ain't superheroes.

Also, they said that since Harry Potter is over they wanted to replace him with superhero movies.
    A soundbite from one guy does not a direction make.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    They failed IMO largely because WB recut the film and edited all the human bits out of it to make room for more crappy CGI.
    DCE has not actually ever had as much as single chance to go and try make a good superhro film.

It's not semantics. WB do have a clue about what they're doing, and what they're doing ain't superheroes.
    But they are making some superhero movies. It's just that until now all they've done is hand over whatever franchise to whoever director they thought might make them money, regardess of how stupid his pitch was. Giant spider? Scissorhands Superman? Sure thing, lets do this! They almost gave us monster Guardians and Ming Sinestro in a Venom suit until Johns stepped in. God knows how off and bad the plot was before he got involved. I bet Green Lantern wasnt even green.

In other words, they were in the business of making superhero movies, they just didnt care enough about them.
    A soundbite from one guy does not a direction make.
    I assume you know better?

And it wasnt a soundbite, if i remember correctly it was from an interview of WB's director or something. If you know something different, please give me a link or something.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well, based on what I just saw in THE AVENGERS Black Widow may well get a movie before Wonder Woman.

Also, the people who decided not to let Joss Whedon make his movie about the Amazon Princess might well have made the biggest mistake in movie making since the guys who passed on Star Wars.
    Hopefully we will get some solo superheroine film. It's a shame WB lost out on Cobie but I think it worked out for the best. She rocked as Maria Hill!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Regardless of whether Joss Whedon succeeds with Avengers or not, he wasn't the right person to work on Wonder Woman.
    Agreed. But Cobie would have been great as Diana!

Semantics.
    Really? No, it's not.
    DC doesn't make movies. WB does.
    DC doesn't have any movie rights to their characters. WB does.
    DC doesn't pony up any cash for any movies. WB does.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Really? No, it's not.
    DC doesn't make movies. WB does.
    DC doesn't have any movie rights to their characters. WB does.
    DC doesn't pony up any cash for any movies. WB does.
    My point was that whoever is making these movies doenst have a clue. Whether that's DC, WB, FBI, NASA, NBC, CNN, NBA, CGI, MMORPG, UN, USA, UK, etc.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 04-25-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Ease up, Dr. Even with asterisks, we don't need to post like this. Just respond to the poster or ignore him/her. Thank you.

My point was that whoever is making these f***ing movies doenst have a clue. Whether that's DC, WB, FBI, NASA, NBC, CNN, NBA, CGI, MMORPG, UN, USA, UK, etc. But lets worry about those 2 f***ing letters instead of my actual point.
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

Sorry. I edited them out.

Sorry for getting mad. Another poster on another board got me so.

Just take a deep breath before you post. Walk way from the keyboard for a moment. Remember, once it's out there, it could mean a ban for someone. Thanks for the editing. We appreciate that.

Sorry. I edited them out.

Sorry for getting mad. Another poster on another board got me so.
    Keep faith. Trust to love. Fight with honor. But, fight to win. - Gail Simone, Wonder Woman

Author, Task Force: Gaea (Available on Amazon.com)

Master of Narrative kelly_warrior_princess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sberg1 View Post
    Yes, this has been happening more frequently. Movies are getting international release dates prior to their US premieres.
    An its done for a reason. Release a blockbuster film into an under performing market like Australia, before you do it in the USA & the hype from viewers ups the opening weekend sales in the US.

Semantics. WB/DC dont have a clue of what they're doing.
    WB not DC, DC Doesn't.... oh i see thats already been covered. Okay... Um... where was i: WB does know how to make great super hero movies, they just don't make live action superhero movies very well. An they don't because thy don't make movies for us, they make movies for the lowest common denominator & unfortunately that means stupid people who love action movies & explosions, but hate any movie that requires thought. Its an undeniable & sad fact of the studio system of movie making these days. Frankly the entire system needs an overhaul, but its just not going to happen: There's just to much money invested in the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
    Hopefully we will get some solo superheroine film. It's a shame WB lost out on Cobie but I think it worked out for the best. She rocked as Maria Hill!
    Not going to happen. I would like it to happen, but its not going to happen any time in the near future & if it does, its probably going to flop, due to the inability of WB to make a real superhero movie that appeals to both a comic book audience & the general public.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Glad to hear that Brett liked Avengers so well.

But I disagree with his conclusion. For starters, to me, Whedon, himself, never seemed to have a clue to WW. I'm sure that working with WB didn't help. But I never got the impression from any statement from him that said to me, 'he really knows what he's talking about.' Writing some women well doesn't mean every woman he writes will be written well.

Second, his Firefly movie was bad. And bombed. I'm still dumb-founded Marvel gave him Avengers after that. Then again, time is grand. It's been a few years since his attempt at WW. I don't doubt that he's learned much, and I'm glad to hear he apparently made the most of this opportunity.

Third, Black Widow may get a movie before WW. Good for Black Widow. It'll be far cheaper to make for starters.

In short, good on Whedon for what sounds like a good Avengers movie. But, he is hardly the only one that can do well with strong women in movies.
    See, already we disagree because I saw the Firefly movie before I watched the series and loved it.

Also, if Whedon said he does not get WW I wonder if that statement was made after his script was picked apart.Could be he was convinced into thinking he did not understand WW by others. In this movie he writes 7 very different heroes and others and does thsm all very well. :)
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

I don't get the DC v. WB debate above - didn't WB create DC Entertainment for the purpose of making better use of DC characters in all media?

See, already we disagree ...
    That's a given. ;)

... I saw the Firefly movie before I watched the series and loved it.
    You are wrong. That's a given, too. ;)

... In this movie he writes 7 very different heroes and others and does thsm all very well. :)
    As others have pointed out, the big difference (besides WB noting know what they want from WW) is that nearly every character in Avengers is already established. They're even cast already. Also, didn't someone else write the story, and Whedon wrote the screenplay based off of that? Like I said above, I'd hope that Whedon had learned a few things and improved his craft since the WW misfire 6-7 years ago (note: I'm not putting all the blame on him; I really don't doubt that Silver and/or WB didn't help matters).

If I may, how did the little ones like the movie?
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

I don't get the DC v. WB debate above - didn't WB create DC Entertainment for the purpose of making better use of DC characters in all media?
    What's so difficult to get? Marvel has a studio, DC doesn't. Warner Bros. produces DC's movies, and superheroes aren't that important to them.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

You are wrong. That's a given, too. ;)
    No, I am pretty sure I loved it. I guess I will just have to watch it again to be certain. :)

If I may, how did the little ones like the movie?
    Gwen is not old enough to have watched all the movies, and anyway at the moment she is perfectly content with the Wonder Woman tv show.

Having seen it I am happy to take Xander and we will watch it on the weekend. I have bought him an Iron Man electronic mask, and explained to him that it is in case his head explodes with excitment. I will be taking along my battle blast Mjolnir, naturally

Oh, regarding the characters - Black Widow really gets a lot of character development in this movie, as an intergral part of the plot. She is really just an 2D action figure in Iron Man 2 compared to what you will see in this story.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-26-2012 at 03:56 AM.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”