Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 238
  1. #1
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,545

    Lightbulb Re: Black Widow and Joss Whedon

    Well, based on what I just saw in THE AVENGERS Black Widow may well get a movie before Wonder Woman.

    Also, the people who decided not to let Joss Whedon make his movie about the Amazon Princess might well have made the biggest mistake in movie making since the guys who passed on Star Wars.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-25-2012 at 01:19 AM.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  2. #2
    Senior Member Arvandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Possibly, but the talk is having her appear in Iron Man 3, while Hawkeye gets his own film. Which is a shame.

    But I agree about Joss. Warner/DC should go crawling back and beg Joss to make a WW film.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7,547

    Default

    If Black Widow gets a movie before Wonder Woman its going to be because of the success across the board at Marvel in regards to their handling of movie franchises, not so much Joss Whedon himself. I like the guy but let's face it, in the feature film arena his track record doesn't exactly demand the adulation his hardcore fanbase gives him. The Avengers was and is a guaranteed success regardless who got the director's chair.

    There's absolutely no reason to "go crawling back" to Whedon for anything. If Warners wants to try and revisit him at some point, fine, but saying they should crawl back to him insinuates a stronger film resume than he currently totes. His ideas for WW frankly were not that great. Now okay, that opinion is mine and certainly doesn't mean for a certainty his WW wouldn't have been a success. Its just that at the same time, the Avengers falling into his lap doesn't necessarily translate into his WW being a hit if it were made.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-25-2012 at 01:34 AM.

  4. #4
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,545

    Default

    I agree Avengers was a sure thing, but let me state this quite clearly - nothing prepared me for how good this movie was.

    It actually goes BEYOND its own hype. On a scale of 1 to 10 this is a 14!
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  5. #5
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well, based on what I just saw in THE AVENGERS Black Widow may well get a movie before Wonder Woman.
    What happened in the Avengers movie to make you say that?

    But anyway, there's a lot of reasons WW isnt getting a movie any time soon:

    1) DC doesnt have the slightest idea about making superhero movies. Thank god for Nolan, he's the reason Batman worked.
    2) DC dont have an established movie universe to promote a character that wouldnt have worked on his/her own. Widow is one of those, but being in IM2 and the Avengers helps a lot, also helps Marvel calculate the potential for success, etc.
    3) Marvel can afford to screw up. With the exception of Batman, DC has been failing for years now.
    4) Wonder Woman hasnt been successful in comics. Maybe a creator will write her book and he'll give her a boost for a while, but then it's back to the abyss. Why would DC risk it with a character not even comics readers bother with?
    Also, the people who decided not to let Joss Whedon make his movie about the Amazon Princess might well have made the biggest mistake in movie making since the guys who passed on Star Wars.
    1) From what i've heard of his pitch, the movie wouldnt be so great.
    2) Avengers =/= Wonder Woman. Just because he can do the former well, it doesnt mean he can do the latter just as well. Although he does have a knack for female characters.
    3) The Avengers was heavily guided by Marvel. They've been setting it up for years, they had most of it planned out and Whedon brought it to life. But he didnt pick it up from the ground like he would have to do with WW.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 04-25-2012 at 02:33 AM.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I agree Avengers was a sure thing, but let me state this quite clearly - nothing prepared me for how good this movie was.

    It actually goes BEYOND its own hype. On a scale of 1 to 10 this is a 14!
    I assume that it's great because it's the sum of great parts, but could you spoil me and tell me what was the best part for you?

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Not to mention, Joss Whedon is a Marvel fan, much better suited to Avengers than Wonder Woman.

  8. #8
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I assume that it's great because it's the sum of great parts, but could you spoil me and tell me what was the best part for you?
    Here's the amaing thing

    There IS no best part!

    It is just all good all the time. There are action and non-action sequences, sure, and the big fight in New York is spectactacular. But I was enjoying the movie so much prior to that I was not sitting there thinking "I cant wait for the fight to start." And there is certainly action all the way through it. This movie had EVERYTHING.

    And definitely do NOT leave when the credits roll

    As for Black Widow specifically, she is just as awewome as the other heroes in her own way. I did not feel she was dwarfed by Iron Man or Cap or even Thor and Hulk. From her first appearence and in every scene where she appears is consistently impressive - and not just as eye candy. She is smart, brave, determined and definitely kick-ass dangerous! Whedon gives the character her props and she really shines as an equal alongside her teammates.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  9. #9
    Senior Member Arvandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There's absolutely no reason to "go crawling back" to Whedon for anything. If Warners wants to try and revisit him at some point, fine, but saying they should crawl back to him insinuates a stronger film resume than he currently totes. His ideas for WW frankly were not that great. Now okay, that opinion is mine and certainly doesn't mean for a certainty his WW wouldn't have been a success. Its just that at the same time, the Avengers falling into his lap doesn't necessarily translate into his WW being a hit if it were made.
    If you say so. But (for example) my brother is one of those people who doesn't read comics. Never has and never will. But he loves superhero films. He's seen them all, Marvel and DC. And he has said to me that he'd love to see a WW film, especially by Whedon.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Here's the amaing thing

    There IS no best part!

    It is just all good all the time. There are action and non-action sequences, sure, and the big fight in New York is spectactacular. But I was enjoying the movie so much prior to that I was not sitting there thinking "I cant wait for the fight to start." And there is certainly action all the way through it. This movie had EVERYTHING.

    And definitely do NOT leave when the credits roll

    As for Black Widow specifically, she is just as awewome as the other heroes in her own way. I did not feel she was dwarfed by Iron Man or Cap or even Thor and Hulk. From her first appearence and in every scene where she appears is consistently impressive - and not just as eye candy. She is smart, brave, determined and definitely kick-ass dangerous! Whedon gives the character her props and she really shines as an equal alongside her teammates.
    I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks Brettc!

    I cant imagine how hard it was to find Widow and Hawkeye something useful to do when they re in the same team as Ironman or Thor. Props to Whedon then!

  11. #11

    Default

    Wow Brett, you've made me even more excited for the Avengers, if that's possible.
    Jean Grey : What makes you such a bitch, Emma?
    Emma Frost : Breeding, darling. Top class breeding.

  12. #12
    The Lost
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Institute of War
    Posts
    1,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I agree Avengers was a sure thing, but let me state this quite clearly - nothing prepared me for how good this movie was.

    It actually goes BEYOND its own hype. On a scale of 1 to 10 this is a 14!
    I absolutely agree with this! Great, entertaining and quite a funny movie. I'm going to watch it again this weekend.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Cowtools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Here's the amaing thing

    There IS no best part!

    It is just all good all the time. There are action and non-action sequences, sure, and the big fight in New York is spectactacular. But I was enjoying the movie so much prior to that I was not sitting there thinking "I cant wait for the fight to start." And there is certainly action all the way through it. This movie had EVERYTHING.

    And definitely do NOT leave when the credits roll

    As for Black Widow specifically, she is just as awewome as the other heroes in her own way. I did not feel she was dwarfed by Iron Man or Cap or even Thor and Hulk. From her first appearence and in every scene where she appears is consistently impressive - and not just as eye candy. She is smart, brave, determined and definitely kick-ass dangerous! Whedon gives the character her props and she really shines as an equal alongside her teammates.
    I just got back from a premiere screening (in Australia) and I just want to second all of this. It is indeed as good as he says.

    Interestingly, Black Widow got some of the best scenes in the movie; not from an action standpoint - though she had plenty of those too - but from an acting standpoint.

    One thing though Brett: don't try arguing that the success of another female action hero will auger well for Wonder Woman's chances at a movie. I tried that on a thread about The Hunger Games and it didn't end well.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtools View Post
    I just got back from a premiere screening (in Australia) and I just want to second all of this. It is indeed as good as he says.

    Interestingly, Black Widow got some of the best scenes in the movie; not from an action standpoint - though she had plenty of those too - but from an acting standpoint.

    One thing though Brett: don't try arguing that the success of another female action hero will auger well for Wonder Woman's chances at a movie. I tried that on a thread about The Hunger Games and it didn't end well.
    Hunger Games is a Harry Potter kind of movie, based on a popular book.

    WW and Black Widow are superheroes, from comic books. There's a difference. The stigma that superheroes are a bit cheesy, the fact that thousands of kids read Harry Potter and HG but not comics, etc. So if BW gets a movie and it's successful it would bode well for WW.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Cowtools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Hunger Games is a Harry Potter kind of movie, based on a popular book.

    WW and Black Widow are superheroes, from comic books. There's a difference. The stigma that superheroes are a bit cheesy, the fact that thousands of kids read Harry Potter and HG but not comics, etc. So if BW gets a movie and it's successful it would bode well for WW.
    Oh no, the arguments were as follows:
    - Wonder Woman doesn't deserve her own movie because her fans suck so much
    - Hollywood has no means of gauging audiences preferences based on their taste in other movies.

    True story.

    Anyway, back on topic: Marvel/Disney are mad if they don't give Hawkeye and Black Widow their own movie now. Especially with Jeremy Renner about to get a boost from the Bourne Legacy, and Scarlett Johansson being... well, Scarlett Johansson.
    They made a great team.
    "Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •