Default The Walking Dead

Telltale's Walking Dead game came out this week and I found it to be pretty great. It's another adventure game, but it adds some unique dialog/"choice" options that change the story as you play. Like Back to the Future the chapter I played had a clear beginning, middle, and end but left the game open for the next episode to pick up where this one ends. The story seemed to tie in to the comic rather than the show which is great. The story features some cool major cameos but stars a new character who has a parallel story to Rick's. For $20/season pass ($4.99 per episode) it's a pretty good deal. It's roughly the same price as a comic but you get about 3 hours out of the episode. The monthly wait kind of sucks but like I said view it as a supplement to the comic and it's not so bad. I can't wait for episode 2, this was a great surprise today.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

I'm at Herchel's farm in the game now and so far I really like it, even though point and click adventure games normally aren't my thing. I also liked how the game starts just as the outbreak starts, at least in the area where the game takes place.

I have a hunch if the shows ratings stay strong, a bigger developer will probably do a bigger action oriented game based on the show, at least thats what I'm hoping since although I like the telltale game, I'd prefer something like Skyrim only in the world of the Walking Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviancy View Post
    I'm at Herchel's farm in the game now and so far I really like it, even though point and click adventure games normally aren't my thing. I also liked how the game starts just as the outbreak starts, at least in the area where the game takes place.

I have a hunch if the shows ratings stay strong, a bigger developer will probably do a bigger action oriented game based on the show, at least thats what I'm hoping since although I like the telltale game, I'd prefer something like Skyrim only in the world of the Walking Dead.
    There are tons of zombie games, you can pick one and pretend!

Oh, there are quite a few zombie games for the PC.. but they're all crap.

Dead Island would have been fun if it was 3rd person rather than 1st, and if the dialogue wasn't totally ass.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 04-25-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Dead Island would have been fun if it was 3rd person rather than 1st, and if the dialogue wasn't totally ass.
    I liked both left for deads, and Dead Rising was fun in totaly different way.
    All available for pc!

I tried Left 4 Dead but I just don't care for first person shooters, and while the Dead Rising games were ok, they were very campy. The reason I'm addicted to TWD is because it's very gloomy and serious, so I'd just dig an actual TWD game that's just as gloomy and serious, and that was an open world/sandbox title like the GTA series or the Fallout series. The amusing thing is that Oblivion has a fan made mods that turn them into better zombie games than the professionally made ones. The Oblivion mod is intense, the way the outbreak spreads can be set by the player and as the outbreak spreads the towns burn, there are corpses everywhere, and even the player's character can be infected. The only down side is well, it takes place in a Conan like world rather than the modern world, if it actually took place in the modern world, it would be intense.

I am however talking to a team of modders and trying to encourage them to make a similar mod for New Vegas. If they can, well since the player makes their own character in the game, it would be easy to make a Rick or Andrea or Michonne, and just go at it.

Did you finish the episode yet?
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Yknow, i just thought of a reason they won't do a fallout or skyrim style walking dead game, it's because it would be too different from the source material.
    There are several issues.
    First off, if you get bit you die, so it would be a one hit kill game, that doesn't work well for games.
    Second, and probably more important, until the later issues of Walking Dead, you don't see guys killing zombies with relative ease. Its still very much that way in the show, which is much much much more popular than the comic so they would probably be trying to hook that audience in.
    If you make a game like those other two, even ignoring the one bite thing, you are talking a lot of the scares out of the story. It's just plain not scary when one guy can murder thousands and thousand of zombies.

Dead Island would have been fun if it wasn't Borderlands with zombies and buggy as hell, seriously traded the game in after 2 weeks, online coop was fun but it barely felt like a zombie game and it was ridiculous I've seen betas more stable than which ever no name developer made Dead Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Yknow, i just thought of a reason they won't do a fallout or skyrim style walking dead game, it's because it would be too different from the source material.
    There are several issues.
    First off, if you get bit you die, so it would be a one hit kill game, that doesn't work well for games.
    Second, and probably more important, until the later issues of Walking Dead, you don't see guys killing zombies with relative ease. Its still very much that way in the show, which is much much much more popular than the comic so they would probably be trying to hook that audience in.
    If you make a game like those other two, even ignoring the one bite thing, you are talking a lot of the scares out of the story. It's just plain not scary when one guy can murder thousands and thousand of zombies.
    Yeah true zombies would have to actually be a threat, whether it be 1 or 100, there are no super zombies or zombie dogs or whatever in TWD don't see how they could accurately portray that in the game, basically you would either fight zombies or other humans for the whole game, no doubt some morons would complain about "no enemy variety" or something like that.

Anyway finished the first episode, a bit short but pretty cool. I like how almost all your choices are timed, several moments I found myself panicking thinking "wtf do I do?!" when you have to make a split second decision. I'm going to run through it again a couple of times, take a few different paths see how they change the scenario.

I guess my one complaint is some of the characters from the book their appearances feel kinda force and like they were included for the sake of having a couple well known names. Minor spoilers but I'm talking about Glenn and Hershel they kinda just appear and then depart not adding much to the story. They should stick to their guns with these new characters, I really liked Lee as the protagonist, and the dude with his family seem interesting enough and the big guy seems like a suitable, dickish rival.

Overall very satisfied, bring on the next episode!

Lee has a very interesting story and I am very much looking forward to finding out what happens next. If I hope they make the Fables game this good.

BANNED

Back to the future ended up being a 5 part series that eventually when to retail copy and had another trophy list from the digital version.

I'm going to wait for Telltale to port it to disc. Only on issue 10 or so of TWD so i got time.

I played the game yesterday, and finished later that evening. I repeated some chapters to pick the "right" dialog choices. There's an intense moment in the 4th chapter. So far the game is awesome. And is also refreshing. Can't wait for ep. 2.
    My Yu-Gi-Oh! card
    My magic card
    Magic The Gathering: Evil Ryu

Fear me.
    And my serpent.

The Seven Sins of Star Wars

1: Yoda can beat God
    2: Blaster pistols can blow up planets
    3: Lighsabers are as hot as the sun
    4: Luke Skywalker can move black holes
    5: Star Destroyers can blow up planets
    6: Darth Sidious rips Superman's head off
    7: General Grevious has Force TK

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is not canon to anything. Nor is the new Clone Wars movie.