U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Default Is this evdience that Diana's mother is a murderess?

Reading one of the other threads I came across this statement/speculation from August Dupin...

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    3: Because Diana has superpowers you can't just explain by her being a sailor's daughter, and probably because she was born between two "raids".
    On reading it, it suddenly occcured to me something that Hermes had said in issue 2 - that the Amazon Queen prayed to gods for a daughter because she was 'barren'. She could not have children of her own.

Thinking about it in the context of issue 7's revelation - how would anyone know that unless Hippolyta had been trying to have sex with a man? And what men do the Amazons try to have sex with? Apparently only ones that they then murder.

So there are two possibilities

Either Hippolyta is immortal and had sex with men befoe the Amazons came to the island, and found out then she could not bear children. Knowing that she never went participated in the the "Ritual of Blood and Seamen" [sorry couldnt help myself]

The other conculsion is that Wonder Woman's mother discovered her inability to have kids when she climbed over the side of a passing ship and...

PS that is not a typo in the title - evdience is any fact, however insubstantial, upon which comic readers can then build wild hysterical outrage.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-24-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

its either one.

Are amazons immortal in this take on the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Zak213 View Post
    its either one.

In issue 3 when they burn the dead Amazons the priestess says "Immortal life is a gift"
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zak213 View Post
    its either one.

Yep. They are.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Reading one of the other threads I came across this statement/speculation from August Dupin...

On reading it, it suddenly occcured to me something that Hermes had said in issue 2 - that the Amazon Queen prayed to gods for a daughter because she was 'barren'. She could not have children of her own.

Thinking about it in the context of issue 7's revelation - how would anyone know that unless Hippolyta had been trying to have sex with a man? And what men do the Amazons try to have sex with? Apparently only ones that they then murder.

So there are two possibilities

Either Hippolyta is immortal and had sex with men befoe the Amazons came to the island, and found out then she could not bear children. Knowing that she never went participated in the the "Ritual of Blood and Seamen" [sorry couldnt help myself]

The other conculsion is that Wonder Woman's mother discovered her inability to have kids when she climbed over the side of a passing ship and...

PS that is not a typo in the title - evdience is any fact, however insubstantial, upon which comic readers can then build wild hysterical outrage.
    Or maybe just that the whole legend is a fat big lie and Hyppolita isn't barren in the first place.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Or maybe just that the whole legend is a fat big lie and Hyppolita isn't barren in the first place.
    The tragic thing is that some readers prepared to put more faith in the Amazons and Hippolyta than her own daughter.

Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

The tragic thing is that some readers prepared to put more faith in the Amazons and Hippolyta than her own daughter.
    I suspect some readers are prepared to put as faith as needed to whatever version that would allow them to outrage at how terrible the run is .
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

...PS that is not a typo in the title - evdience is any fact, however insubstantial, upon which comic readers can then build wild hysterical outrage.
    LOL. One of the best things you've ever written. Yay for evdience!

For the topic:
    a) I do not trust Hermes

b) I do not trust Hepaestus

c) I do not trust DC comics
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-24-2012 at 03:24 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow