Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Don't pee in the (Dead)pool View Post
    They could get round his age by giving him a completely new name. Mind you, yhey'd probably end up calling him Darkweb or something similar.
    Well they could call him "Scarlet Spider" (or some other superhero codename), but those names wouldn't be as marketable as "Spider-Boy.

I finally got to reading the series finale and honestly expected to find this conversation in the Avengers section. Anyways I usually try to read through a thread before posting but this one is just too long. In any case I'm not responding to anyone in particular, just throwing in my thoughts on it.

I was concerned when it became clear that this series was paving the way for bringing a version of the movie Nick Fury into the 616 universe. Its not at all surprising Marvel would do this, but of all the ways they could have handled the situation I wanted to give marvel kudos for the way they handled this. Brevoort's interview did a lot to lock the positive feeling in for me. I did like Marcus Johnson from the beginning. My only reservation is that I would expect a more satisfying in-depth exploration as to why Marcus Johnson would go around abandoning his name and going by Nick Fury. It would have made more sense if he was protecting surviving loved ones who were affiliated with him as marcus Johnson than because it was a name on a birth certificate and him adopting a new way of life.

That aside, Mr Brevoort made some great points. We do still have classic Nick fury, who is one of my favorite characters, and he's one of my favorite characters because of his particular personality and his role as a spymaster showing up where you least expect him and pulling on other heroes and villains' puppet strings. He has not been the action hero, in my mind at least, through the years I have been following him. So Nick Fury junior taking up that role creates no conflict for me. Nick Fury Jr and Coulson (Timothy Dum Dum Dugan Jr) are at a completely different level and play comppletely different roles than their older counterparts.

The movie Nick Fury has not really been recreated for 616. Movie Nick Fury falls somewhere in between Fury Sr and Fury Jr. I'm hoping the argument of "fan confusion" doesn't lead to killling off Fury Sr in the near future, and that does not seem to be what Marvel intends, at least from my take on what mr Brevoort said.

So I can look forward to more classic Nick Fury machinations AND look forward to the introduction of a new action hero who I am interested in reading more about. Nice touch having him adopt Steve Rogers' recently abandoned Super Soldier look. I would not be shocked to see some future interaction between Nick Fury Jr and Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviax View Post
    I finally got to reading the series finale and honestly expected to find this conversation in the Avengers section. Anyways I usually try to read through a thread before posting but this one is just too long. In any case I'm not responding to anyone in particular, just throwing in my thoughts on it.

I was concerned when it became clear that this series was paving the way for bringing a version of the movie Nick Fury into the 616 universe. Its not at all surprising Marvel would do this, but of all the ways they could have handled the situation I wanted to give marvel kudos for the way they handled this. Brevoort's interview did a lot to lock the positive feeling in for me. I did like Marcus Johnson from the beginning. My only reservation is that I would expect a more satisfying in-depth exploration as to why Marcus Johnson would go around abandoning his name and going by Nick Fury. It would have made more sense if he was protecting surviving loved ones who were affiliated with him as marcus Johnson than because it was a name on a birth certificate and him adopting a new way of life.

That aside, Mr Brevoort made some great points. We do still have classic Nick fury, who is one of my favorite characters, and he's one of my favorite characters because of his particular personality and his role as a spymaster showing up where you least expect him and pulling on other heroes and villains' puppet strings. He has not been the action hero, in my mind at least, through the years I have been following him. So Nick Fury junior taking up that role creates no conflict for me. Nick Fury Jr and Coulson (Timothy Dum Dum Dugan Jr) are at a completely different level and play comppletely different roles than their older counterparts.

The movie Nick Fury has not really been recreated for 616. Movie Nick Fury falls somewhere in between Fury Sr and Fury Jr. I'm hoping the argument of "fan confusion" doesn't lead to killling off Fury Sr in the near future, and that does not seem to be what Marvel intends, at least from my take on what mr Brevoort said.

So I can look forward to more classic Nick Fury machinations AND look forward to the introduction of a new action hero who I am interested in reading more about. Nice touch having him adopt Steve Rogers' recently abandoned Super Soldier look. I would not be shocked to see some future interaction between Nick Fury Jr and Mockingbird.

agreed well said

Sweetest Guy in the Swamp Manphibian's Avatar

Let's be honest, how many "new" readers are they bringing in? And how does the numbers compare to the older readers they piss off that drop titles over this crap? My money if on losing more readers than gaining. But they'd never admit to their flops.

Quote Originally Posted by Manphibian View Post
    Let's be honest, how many "new" readers are they bringing in? And how does the numbers compare to the older readers they piss off that drop titles over this crap? My money if on losing more readers than gaining. But they'd never admit to their flops.
    Shame there's no actual title to drop over this. I mean the only known upcoming Nick Fury appearance is classic Fury in Defenders.

If you can have both what's the point of complaining about it.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    That's been my point. Marvel and their knee-jerk reaction to their movies. You'd think they'd go with Miles in the cartoon, given how much media surrounded the character in his comic debut. I understand why black Spidey isn't being tested in other media at the moment, given there's a Spider-man movie on the horizon.
    Well I'm willing to believe that the USM cartoon was in some stage of production before Bendis/Quesada/Alonso actually agreed to make a black/hispanic Spider-man. I do agree that it would've been a great opportunity to push Miles though. Why make all this hubbub about an all-new, all-ethnic Spider-man then leave him marginalized with an audience pool of a few 100K consumers?
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Shame there's no actual title to drop over this. I mean the only known upcoming Nick Fury appearance is classic Fury in Defenders.

If you can have both what's the point of complaining about it.
    The point of 'complaining' is that Fake Nick Fury will be taking up appearances that should have gone to Classic Nick Fury. As TomB says, "You'll no doubt tend to see more of new Nick than older Nick in the days ahead" because Marvel is going to be pushing Fake Nick Fury.

According to TomB Fake Nick Fury will be in Scarlet Spider. Classic Nick Fury was supposed to be in the Defenders, but his comment, 'There's been talk about Matt [Fraction] using him over in Defenders.' isn't exactly definite. Winter Soldier, and the MAX book (which looks like it's a historical tale) appear to be definite appearances.

I haven't read "Battle Scars" yet, but is he actually going to go by Nick Fury instead of Marcus Johnson? I'm not entirely against this, but I really like the classic Nick Fury and don't want to see him marginalized or bumped off just to line up with the films (which never seem to bring in all these easily-confused new readers we're always hearing about).

Here's my biggest question...how exactly did he happen to lose his eye? I mean, that part just seems really transparent and ridiculous to me. He just happens to lose an eye right after he finds out he's Fury's kid? How did that play out exactly?

Yes, his "real" name is Nicholas Fury, Jr., so he'll presumably go by that name. And yeah, it's all rather contrived in a ham-fisted manner. I get Marvel wanting Ultimate Fury. He's black and he's popular, which is rare in comics. But it's a head-scratcher why this was the best they could come up with. I guess however they did this fans were going to gripe, but with the Marcus Johnson route it just seems as if they've created a character that will burn hot and fast and just be another MU oddity sooner than later.
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf23k View Post
    Honestly, I have no issue with Ultimate Fury being introduced in 616 as Nick Fury Jr. It's the simplest, most efficient way of handling it, and at least now new readers drawn in by the films can comfortably dive into 616 books without cognitive dissonance. And it takes away nothing from Nick Fury Sr, who still has his long career we can look back on. ...And who can still come back if Marvel decides it.
    That's my exact feeling as well. I like any version of Fury, black or white, Ultimate or 616, and, probably, Senior and Junior. Granted, I'd be very upset if they kill off the classic Fury, who I am very fond of, but I don't mind them creating "Nick Fury, Jr." to be a more movie-based version of the character. It's not like Marvel has been using Fury Sr. much these past few years anyway.

Yeah, but how did he lose the eye? I can't see that making much sense unle ss a villain did it purposely, in a kind of ironic, "you want to be like your dad so much, here you go" kind of way.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by refrax5 View Post
    Yeah, but how did he lose the eye? I can't see that making much sense unle ss a villain did it purposely, in a kind of ironic, "you want to be like your dad so much, here you go" kind of way.
    That's pretty close to what happened, yeah.
    Expletive Deleted

Yeah, the Big Bad had one of his henchman cut it out to "see the resemblance."
    His memory's gone! Or...is it? It's not hard to fake amnesia! The Goblin is capable of anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    Yeah, the Big Bad had one of his henchman cut it out to "see the resemblance."
    Ok. That at least makes a certain amount of sense. I can live with that.

Default MCU: Battlescars/Coulson

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I love the ridiculous over the top reactions here. People take these little things way too seriously.
    You are so right here especially when the heading was Coulson, not Marcus,and not whether Marcus is going to replace Fury.Did half the people who ranted here even read the final issue or what? Marcus's blood may be the extender clause for Nick Fury.If it worked on Orion why wouldn't it work for Fury Senior? Besides how many times have cloned bodies been used as host for the original character in Marvel plots like War Machine until the idea grows stale? Marcus is not the new head of Shield but has taken on, at Cap's request,the mantle of the new Super Soldier.and at this place and time uses Shield as a base of operations.Frankly I don't see the logic of him dumping the Marcus handle,but who knows what Marvel will decide?I feel he will chafe at being in Shield and eventually move on.