Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    i'm against the move because of how it played out. i have no problem with movie Coulson or Fury. i could have lived with Coulson making the transition over to the 616 because he isn't already well accounted for in the Ultimate Universe. i might have even settled for there being a 616 counterpart to Ultimate Nick Fury if he weren't a relative of 616 Nick Fury (just and equally experienced intelligence operative that we hadn't met). i would have also settled for Ultimate Nick Fury making his way into the 616 reality somehow (he did something similar for the Squadron Supreme series). but just giving Nick a black kid and turning him into Samuel L Jackson seems amateurish to me.

Seeing as this is marvel. I could have seen this playing out much worse. Like giving Nick Fury plastic surgery or transfering his mind to a knew body or something. Thought marvel did a much better job for this than I initially thought they would.

They had to tie the new character to the name Nick Fury somehow. If he wasn't related it would just be weird. Marvel would have done some retcon where Nick Fury wasn't Nick Fury's real name jus tthe name everyone who took the position was forced to be called by or something. Like agent Lynch from the A team, or a Men in Black Agent.

So far this seemed ot be a good transition imo.

I don't think you can just introduce a new character, and say he is this dude who has been around and is very experienced and accomplished and have him take over for Nick Fury. That sounds forced to me. And Marcus isn't the director of Shield he is just an Agent. This gives Marvel a chance to build him up. So maybe 5 or 10 years from now he can be the director of Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    You can "see" the problem that way, but you'd be wrong. If i were upset i wouldn't come around here. You're projecting. This is fun for me...and fits my personality perfectly. Dealing with upset fans is part of the charm of being a Marvel editor. I love it....which is why i deal with so many fans.

I don't really get into whether or not someone liked a particular comic. you'd be hard pressed to find that ever happening...though I know that's your impression. But again it's a projection. I'm very much a believer in "you pay your money, you get to hate it".

However, I don't mind knocking against anonymous bullies and internet rage hounds who spread false assumptions and like pretending they know things about the business they clearly don't. Particularly when someone spreads untruths about a creator I work with or a book, I work on I'm comfortable with responding. I understand you wish I would just shut up and take it, but there's thousands of threads here critical of our books that I never respond in. You could also just block me too.

This particular thread was just fun because it was the "controversy du jour" with the same ever-dramatic crew pf desperate know-it-alls who were going to quit Marvel forever, "house of no ideas", etc. Last week it was Captain Marvel's hair, next week it'll be something else that is bring down all of Marvel...and comics themselves.

For the record, i've said Marvel sways back-and-forth like any company and got pilloried by some of the same people here who know my business better than me apparently. So watch out.

I am very low-level. No one really knows me at Marvel. Brevoort actually thinks I'm the cleaning woman.

SW
    Why would i block you? I'm the least bit upset about this or am I offended or peeved by you. Anyone who thinks they deserve to be blocked thinks far too highly of themselves. I just read you post like I do everyone elses, and decided to respond. If you think im subconsciously projecting my own thoughts and emotions I have to tell you you are sorely mistaken, but then again I wouldn't know cus it would be in my subconscious. So I guess I could say the same to you.

Please don't lot me in with the rest of the looneys in this madhouse, I've never proclaimed to quit purchasing comics from Marvel, quit a book, or even insult a writer. I popped in this thread because I was curious of Nick Fury was going to be replaced with a younger, darker movielike Fury and my my curiosity led me to the simple answer of "Who Knows?" lol.
    "I visited Latveria and all I got is a bunch of Doombot heads."

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Little known fact, I invented the pretzel dog at a University of Missouri dorm in 1989 after I ran out of Roman Meal bread.

SW
    LIES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    Because it just started. Pete is a teen...maybe after a few seasons you would have a point.
    That's been my point. Marvel and their knee-jerk reaction to their movies. You'd think they'd go with Miles in the cartoon, given how much media surrounded the character in his comic debut. I understand why black Spidey isn't being tested in other media at the moment, given there's a Spider-man movie on the horizon.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    i might have even settled for there being a 616 counterpart to Ultimate Nick Fury if he weren't a relative of 616 Nick Fury (just and equally experienced intelligence operative that we hadn't met).
    Or he could be someone that we have met, but who hasn't had appeared in any Marvel comic in 30 years. I'm talking about Rufus Carter. Of course, him being a Z list obscure black character makes him invisible to most Marvel editors and creators until they need a character to be either killed,crippled,or turned evil. IMO, Rufus is a hell of a lot more cooler and interesting then any incarnation of Nick Fury (but I'm bias, since I'm not a huge fan of Nick Fury).

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/rufusc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    That's been my point. Marvel and their knee-jerk reaction to their movies. You'd think they'd go with Miles in the cartoon, given how much media surrounded the character in his comic debut. I understand why black Spidey isn't being tested in other media at the moment, given there's a Spider-man movie on the horizon.
    IMO, the best possible way that I think that Marvel MIGHT be able to expand Miles into other media, is to change his codename to "Spider-Boy" and give him his own cartoon. Heck, they could even introduce the 616 version of Miles using the name Spider-Boy.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Seeing as this is marvel. I could have seen this playing out much worse. Like giving Nick Fury plastic surgery or transfering his mind to a knew body or something. Thought marvel did a much better job for this than I initially thought they would.

They had to tie the new character to the name Nick Fury somehow. If he wasn't related it would just be weird. Marvel would have done some retcon where Nick Fury wasn't Nick Fury's real name jus tthe name everyone who took the position was forced to be called by or something. Like agent Lynch from the A team, or a Men in Black Agent.

So far this seemed ot be a good transition imo.

I don't think you can just introduce a new character, and say he is this dude who has been around and is very experienced and accomplished and have him take over for Nick Fury. That sounds forced to me. And Marcus isn't the director of Shield he is just an Agent. This gives Marvel a chance to build him up. So maybe 5 or 10 years from now he can be the director of Shield.
    Agreed.

Marcus's introduction could have been much worse.

Again, I really don't have any problem with Marvel introducing characters in TV and movies into the comics.

It seems a lot of people don't know this has been going on for decades.

From Smallville in the Superman movies to Jimmy Olsen from radio shows to Harley Quinn to Chris Kent to Chloe Sullivan even Renee Montoya was introduced from outisde media. Stuff like this has been going on for years and I hardly expect it to stop now.

The only difference now is this weird sense of control fans seem to "want" to have over creative fiction. Its a modern day mind set that i can and will never understand (it seems to have started sometime around the release of the new Star Wars films)

Don't get me wrong, disagreeing with the way Marcus was introduced is very fair but what I don't understand is the idea that Marvel MUST NOT try to align its character depiction or it's an insult to long term fans.
    Last edited by USERNAME TAKEN; 04-27-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Nope, that would've been better because it's still Nick Fury.
    Instead of now the dude getting his Infinity Formula taken away and being pushed off to that super hero no-team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    IMO, the best possible way that I think that Marvel MIGHT be able to expand Miles into other media, is to change his codename to "Spider-Boy" and give him his own cartoon. Heck, they could even introduce the 616 version of Miles using the name Spider-Boy.
    Or, there could just be a two parter where Spidey is assumed missing or killed and Miles takes up his place in the USM cartoon.

I can see the problem with putting Miles into other media- he took up the mantle after Spidey died. Not only is that kind of dark for a kid's cartoon, but also the productions tend to favor the original comics with some flavor of the Ultimate Universe, rather than the other way around.

Black guy being handed the title of "Boy" isn't going to go over so well. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sparky View Post
    Black guy being handed the title of "Boy" isn't going to go over so well. Trust me.
    Spider-BOYEEEEEE!!!!!
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sparky View Post
    Yeah I know. However, if he is 13 years old, then he is indeed a boy.

Yeah I know. However, if he is 13 years old, then he is indeed a boy.
    Maybe Lad sure its archaic but less offensive historically.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Maybe Lad sure its archaic but less offensive historically.
    They could get round his age by giving him a completely new name. Mind you, yhey'd probably end up calling him Darkweb or something similar.
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    If you want to have him "retire" or get kidnapped or whatever, that's fine, just don't off an insanely great character just to make the 616 comics kinda-sorta sync with the movie-verse, which is more mirrored off the Ultimate U than the 616 anyways. You know why this is an issue? BECAUSE YOU HAVE TWO ENTIRELY SEPARATE LINES OF BOOKS! That's why this could be confusing for new readers, Marvel. It's YOUR fault, not Nick Fury's, who's been an amazing character since the 60's and his current revival of sorts with Hickman makes him better than he's been in a looooong time.
    Agreed.

The 616 Nick Fury is the one I grew up reading about so this whole bluring of the 616 and Ultimate lines is a bit crass to say the least.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?