Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Anyway, Marcus Nick Fury will be killed and turn evil in 10 years and his father will come back to fix things. That's the Marvel way.
    I wouldn't even say 10 years 4 tops
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Didnt Marvel UK just get closed down last year?
    Marvel UK, as a division of Marvel Comics, hasn't existed since the mid 90s. An Italian company called Panini operates under the Marvel brand name in various European territories, with a licence to reprint Marvel US's stories in comic and graphic novel format.

That's probably what Stephen means when he says Marvel's reach is global*. It's common for publishers to licence reprint rights worldwide. Marvel and DC have been doing it for decades, and I'm sure they're not alone.

*Either that, or all those stories about megalomaniacal, power hungry, tyrannical dictators have had a far greater effect on Marvel employees than anyone could have forseen!!
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nova2814.1 View Post
    *Either that, or all those stories about megalomaniacal, power hungry, tyrannical dictators have had a far greater effect on Marvel employees than anyone could have forseen!!
    any country thats not the U.S in the MU is run my a power crazy dictator even freaking Canada
    gotta up your international P.R there
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Ikonic View Post
    You are self-entitled if you feel you should dictate what stories Marvel tells because you bought their product for a number of years. They decided to create some synergy and to modernize one of their characters.
    Nobody's saying they can't create some synergy, but don't insult us in the process and then hold out your hand for money.

Nick Fury Jr. has become my favorite character to follow now alongside Miles Morales. If only Marvel could find a spot somewhere for Blue Marvel I'd be thrilled.
    Speaking of synergy, why isn't Miles Morales the Spider-man of the USM cartoon?
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post
    Me too! Even recently, shortly before Flashpoint, an issue of (I think) Booster Gold mentioned the Time Masters mini where they went searching the time stream for time lost Bruce. I went back to the store (I was on my lunch break) and bought the trade. I loved those caption boxes.
    The hunt is definitely part of the thrill.

Or maybe I'm confusing comic fans with Kraven!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Nobody's saying they can't create some synergy, but don't insult us in the process and then hold out your hand for money.

Because it just started. Pete is a teen...maybe after a few seasons you would have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Can't have a replacement Spider-Man without first starting with the guy he's supposed to replace. Also, the USM cartoon is dog doo.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    You're starting from an incorrect assumption. Marvel has more readers than ever. Our reach is global. Monthly comic sales are a small part of our pie. You ignoring that doesn't make it not true.

Publishing has changed dramatically from even five years ago. Most bestsellers sell a fraction of what they did years ago too. And yet books arent going away. Again, facts don't care that you want to ignore them.

NPRs On The Media did a great show last week about the current state of publishing if you're interested in learning more about the state of the business. I know you arent really, but It's applicable to comics if anyone else is.

All your other nonsense about how I need to behave and stuff I ignored. I don't take you very seriously about that stuff all Inge considered.

SW
    if comic book sales fail to grow as predicted, will you start catering to the older fans?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

You're starting from an incorrect assumption. Marvel has more readers than ever. Our reach is global. Monthly comic sales are a small part of our pie. You ignoring that doesn't make it not true.

Publishing has changed dramatically from even five years ago. Most bestsellers sell a fraction of what they did years ago too. And yet books arent going away. Again, facts don't care that you want to ignore them.

NPRs On The Media did a great show last week about the current state of publishing if you're interested in learning more about the state of the business. I know you arent really, but It's applicable to comics if anyone else is.

All your other nonsense about how I need to behave and stuff I ignored. I don't take you very seriously about that stuff all Inge considered.

SW
    On The Media? Okay I've queued it up as a pod-cast to listen to. Also, how do you know I'm not interested? Please stop making assumptions about people, it's unbelievably rude and ignorant. I get it...you've have issues in the past...did a previous poster touch you in a no-no-place or something? Why bother going onto a DISCUSSION forum if you are not interested in discussing something? Please stop making assumptions about me...it will lead to me treating you better, vice versa and create a better environment for talking in general. Or I can call you a d-bag and we can escalate to "your mama" insults within a few posts. Your call.

Yes, publishing has changed and best sellers are getting absolutely murdered...distributing for them is also taking a drubbing. In fact, book stores are going out of business all over the place...Borders anyone? Barnes & Noble is also struggling.

As for nonsense about how you need to behave, well you speak from authority all the time and tell people they have no right to speak on comic stuff right? Well part of my post-graduation education was in customer experience and interactions and I have also taught in those fields. So, using your logic, you should listen to me right? Even if you don't, that is fine...I'm just expressing my opinion that you come off as overly negative and it makes people immediately hostile towards you even if they are simply looking for a civil discussion (as I have repeatedly stated that I am). Again, I am not looking to troll you nor bite your head off at any opportunity. I am not playing a game of "gotcha" with you. I'm simply stating that you would get better reactions by interacting with people like a mature adult...if you do not wish to do this, that is your prerogative...however, at the very least extend me the courtesy I have already shown you...otherwise just escalate to "yo mama" in your next post and we'll go from there. Fair warning, however, I can be pretty verbally abusive so don't Pearl Harbor me if you don't want the bombs to drop on you lol.

Your remarks about the foreign market are actually not overly salient to the point though it is IS an important factor in regards to numbers. However, as you mentioned apples & giraffes earlier, does that not have baring on comparing distribution numbers from then to now as well? If the comics are available in MORE places that should (hopefully) result in a larger number of sales...however, if years ago they were not available in those markets that is not a fair comparison. If we are comparing, for the sake of this example, US & UK market sales totals in 1970 versus US, UK, South American, European mainland, Indian, Chinese, etc market sales totals in 2012, it may be accurate to say "We sell more comics now" but it may be equally valid to say "Your market shares in the US and UK have shrunk in this time span even though your overall numbers have increased". Additionally, some markets that may have had lower penetration before might experience higher penetration now based entirely on the increasing availability of disposable income as foreign economies grow resulting in a less impoverished middle class. My best friend is half-Indian on his father's side and often visits there and he can attest to how things have changed there in regards to the generational difference in just how much money the kids there now have to spend. It's by no means affluence, of course, but no longer is it simply haves & have nots in a black & white manner, so that would also be important to consider.

This, brings me back to my initial point which I will clarify...speaking entirely in the US market, have sales increased or decreased overall? From everything I've read, from writers biographies, blogs, posts, etc combined with market reports, etc and heard in an anecdotal manner from my brick & mortar store owner (an overly successful businessman that owns 2 stores and is a literal self-made millionaire with a head for numbers and business trends), the answer would be that "Sales have decreased". Would that be accurate to say and, if so, what factors might you attribute that to? Or, what factors have you, personally, been told or heard that contribute to it?

As a follow-up to this thread, today I discussed with some people at work the various Marvel movies and all three guys I work with are fans...two of them are actually former comic book readers...but none of them stated an interest in picking up comics (believe me, I offered!) to read them, even though one of them is an avid reader that averages a novel a week (he is also one of the former comic readers). Do you have any thoughts on what may be causing the disconnect between liking (or even loving) the films and being willing to pick up a comic issue considering that, in all three of these cases, money is not an issue (we make a good living) nor is an unfamiliarity with the medium an issue in two of those cases? I think this bares discussion as I would be more than willing to discuss with you what they told me are the reasons...it's especially interesting in that 1 was a recent reader (within a couple years) but the other hasn't read in quite some time. I mean, after all, these guys are the sort you'd be interested in, right? (to be fair, I'm sure any customer is a good potential customer though, I know thats what I tend to think when I'm working).

As always, thanks for reading.
    Last edited by YagamiFire; 04-27-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by YagamiFire View Post
    a bunch of stuff
    I've never told anyone "they have no right to speak on comic stuff " nor do i believe anything like it. Quite the opposite. (and my insults are pretty lame and tame). All the online whinging makes me look good, so I encourage it. I do point out when people like yourself are full of hot air though.

Most of your frustration seems to stem from a mistaken belief in what I say to people. PLease don't put words in my mouth...or fingers.

And again I know you are demanding to see Marvel internal business numbers, but you can type all the essays ya want.... It ain't gonna happen. Sorry. If you need to believe--like may others--that Marvel has been failing miserably for 30+ years (it's usually since whenever a read was 15) and we have no idea how to run a company that is currently the #1 comic company in the world, then i welcome it. It's funny.

The story about the people you work with didn't interest me much. Sorry, I'm not a marketer.

Hope you find some books you like and a comic company who will hire ya for your bizness acumen. Good luck!

SW
    Last edited by stephen wacker; 04-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    if comic book sales fail to grow as predicted, will you start catering to the older fans?
    We don't really cater to anyone in the way the internet believes. We tell stories. People of all ages seem to like them.

When sales grow, the people who believe the opposite are seldom swayed. They can do the job better and that's all that matters to them ultimately.

The world still spins.

SW
    Last edited by stephen wacker; 04-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.

I've never told anyone "they have no right to speak on comic stuff " nor do i believe anything like it. Quite the opposite. (and my insults are pretty lame and tame). All the online whinging makes me look good, so I encourage it. I do point out when people like yourself are full of hot air though.

Most of your frustration seems to stem from a mistaken belief in what I say to people. PLease don't put words in my mouth...or fingers.

And again I know you are demanding to see Marvel internal business numbers, but you can type all the essays ya want.... It ain't gonna happen. Sorry. If you need to believe--like may others--that Marvel has been failing miserably for 30+ years (it's usually since whenever a read was 15) and we have no idea how to run a company that is currently the #1 comic company in the world, then i welcome it. It's funny.

Hope you find some books you like.

SW
    The problem that I see, you get upset when people call you out or insult you, but you do the same thing, and there is plenty of evidence to support what I just stated just within the last 30 pages of this thread. Chill out, pick up Secret Invasion and take your mind off this issue. We clearly all have an opinion on this, and us debating it till we are red in the face does nothing for anyone. And no it doesn't stir up media for this, because no one other than comic fans are reading this, so this isn't going to bring in new readers cus there is an issue and they want to know what it is.
    And no Marvel hasn't been failing miserable for 30 years, but it sways back and forth like any company, it goes through dry spells and needs to cut back, and it bloats like right now.

Do you "run" a comic book company? why use the word "we"? Maby I'm am under the impression you were lower in the company than you actually are.
    "I visited Latveria and all I got is a bunch of Doombot heads."

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack J Napier View Post
    The problem that I see, you get upset when people call you out or insult you, but you do the same thing, and there is plenty of evidence to support what I just stated just within the last 30 pages of this thread. Chill out, pick up Secret Invasion and take your mind off this issue. We clearly all have an opinion on this, and us debating it till we are red in the face does nothing for anyone. And no it doesn't stir up media for this, because no one other than comic fans are reading this, so this isn't going to bring in new readers cus there is an issue and they want to know what it is.
    And no Marvel hasn't been failing miserable for 30 years, but it sways back and forth like any company, it goes through dry spells and needs to cut back, and it bloats like right now.

Do you "run" a comic book company? why use the word "we"? Maby I'm am under the impression you were lower in the company than you actually are.
    You can "see" the problem that way, but you'd be wrong. If i were upset i wouldn't come around here. You're projecting. This is fun for me...and fits my personality perfectly. Dealing with upset fans is part of the charm of being a Marvel editor. I love it....which is why i deal with so many fans.

I don't really get into whether or not someone liked a particular comic. you'd be hard pressed to find that ever happening...though I know that's your impression. But again it's a projection. I'm very much a believer in "you pay your money, you get to hate it".

However, I don't mind knocking against anonymous bullies and internet rage hounds who spread false assumptions and like pretending they know things about the business they clearly don't. Particularly when someone spreads untruths about a creator I work with or a book, I work on I'm comfortable with responding. I understand you wish I would just shut up and take it, but there's thousands of threads here critical of our books that I never respond in. You could also just block me too.

This particular thread was just fun because it was the "controversy du jour" with the same ever-dramatic crew pf desperate know-it-alls who were going to quit Marvel forever, "house of no ideas", etc. Last week it was Captain Marvel's hair, next week it'll be something else that is bring down all of Marvel...and comics themselves.

For the record, i've said Marvel sways back-and-forth like any company and got pilloried by some of the same people here who know my business better than me apparently. So watch out.

I am very low-level. No one really knows me at Marvel. Brevoort actually thinks I'm the cleaning woman.

SW
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 04-27-2012 at 08:23 PM.

PLease don't put words in my mouth...or fingers.
    How about a delicious preztel dog?

I am very low-level. No one really knows me at Marvel. Brevoort actually thinks I'm the cleaning woman.
    You know, I think you're the cleaning woman too. :P
    Last edited by Old Sparky; 04-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sparky View Post
    How about a delicious preztel dog?

You know, I think you're the cleaning woman too. :P
    Little known fact, I invented the pretzel dog at a University of Missouri dorm in 1989 after I ran out of Roman Meal bread.

SW