Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Citation please?
    There is none. Just a lot of nonsense.

If being replaced gets you a Max title by a very popular writer, and also in two top line books by Marvel's A list. Tons of characters need to be "replaced" quickly. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    If people don't like Nick Fury Jr, why not ignore it?

I don't get this attitude of "How dare Marvel create a black Fury". Even DC is not above this, just shaved Green Arrow to match his Smallville version and in the past gave Superman an adopted son (like that kid from Superman Returns). Marvel is only doing what any rational business would do.

If you don't like it, ignore it. Marvel haven't said that he's going to replace Nick Fury.
    But they want him to be in every god forsaken thing. Have you seen a recent Marvel Cinimatic Universe movie without Sam Jackson's face in the camera for a decent amount of time?
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    So, what's the issue here exactly?
    For me, it's like this:

-It's a waste of time and energy on Marvel's part. Making changes to their books to better fit the movie versions has never seemed to pay off in the past.

-Instead, if they really want to get new readers, Marvel should take some real action, maybe advertise and market their books outside the pages of their books, outside the comic shops, and outside the comic book websites. This just makes them seem lazy and simple.

-This is insulting to current non-readers of comics/potential new readers. As if a person who sees a movie adaptation and then sees source material and wouldn't understand that in adaptations, changes get made.

-This is insulting to long-time comic book readers. Not only does an established character get hidden away (sure, he'll be in other books, but don't tell me he'll be anywhere near the Avengers) but the current readers are expected to believe and accept (and buy) without question the stupidest in-story explanations as to why this guy is suddenly named Nick Fury, suddenly has an eye patch, and suddenly changed his hairstyle and grew a goatee. It's very forced, and some of us find the idea that we're expected to just eat it up offensive.

-This hasn't come up so much in this thread, but as a fan of Ultimate Marvel, it makes me anxious anytime something, no matter how shallow, is copied from Ultimate into 616. Sure, the movie came first, but movie Fury came from Ultimate. It doesn't bode well for Ultimate if, whenever some feature becomes popular and successful, 616 adopts it. I'd like to think that Ultimate Marvel doesn't exist solely for 616 to cannibalize its concepts when they prove fruitful.

Edit: Wacker also said here that the sales spike from when a movie comes out happens in the collections, not the individual issues. So, Avengers comes out next week. Exactly what collection featuring Nick Fury Jr. will be on the shelves for them next week? Again, it's a wasteful, fruitless effort.
    Last edited by Number_5; 04-26-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I'm not talking about stories, which thank goodness don't match up 100%. I'm talking about characters and the response that matching the movie character (Nick Fury) will make more money for Marvel? If that's the case, then why is Marvel NOT matching the movie character of Spider-Man across the board?

At this point, it's clear you haven't read my posts where I talk about scenes in the series, but since you admit to not tracking the argument, and still feel making whatever assumptions, that's all on you. Marvel (you, Alonso, Tom Brennan in his letter at the end of Battlescars #6) and the series itself have made it clear that Marvel is replacing 616 Nick Fury and his role in the MU with movie version Nick Fury.

I've quoted everything for you, in the hopes of actually getting an answer with information instead of snark. I've pointed out the business reason you and Marvel have given isn't being applied equally to both Spider Man and Nick Fury, and am simply asking why that is?
    Does it have to?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    But they want him to be in every god forsaken thing. Have you seen a recent Marvel Cinimatic Universe movie without Sam Jackson's face in the camera for a decent amount of time?
    Spiderman 1,2,3, X-men 1,2,3, First Class? Well up until Avengers, all he's really done are cameos. Maybe 5-10 minutes per picture. Iron Man being the exception with slightly more screen time. And usually his brief appearances are the most talked about thing of the films as they are teasers for upcoming things. Is that really too much?

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Spiderman 1,2,3, X-men 1,2,3, First Class? Well up until Avengers, all he's really done are cameos. Maybe 5-10 minutes per picture. Iron Man being the exception with slightly more screen time. And usually his brief appearances are the most talked about thing of the films as they are teasers for upcoming things. Is that really too much?
    I said Marvel Cinematic Universe? The Spider-Man and X-Men movies were done by Fox and Sony.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Seeing as how he's the figure that brings all of these people who have no contact with each other together you need him there. That's like saying Luke would have become a jedi master even if he never ran into C-3PO & R2D2
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Oh, come on!

Iron man 2 aside, he hasn't had a decent amount of screen time.

Sounds like you have a problem more with Sam Jackson than anything else.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    Seeing as how he's the figure that brings all of these people who have no contact with each other together you need him there. That's like saying Luke would have become a jedi master even if he never ran into C-3PO & R2D2
    He didn't bring them together in the comics. (And no, Ultimates doesn't count.)

ok. Discount those. All he really does are cameos. Usually after the credits and not even in the actual movie!

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    Does it have to?
    It does if that's the reason you are giving everyone for the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso
    Given the popularity of how Nick Fury is depicted in our movies, animation and licensing, we thought it made sense for us to introduce a consistent incarnation in the mainstream Marvel Universe.

Mechanically Insane shadow panther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    The issue is that Marvel has a knee-jerk reaction to its movies. They did the same nonsense with the X-Men. Let's put them in black leather like the movies. Sales bump? Nope.
    Spider-man 3. Let's put Spidey back in his black costume. Sales bump? No. Wolverine: Origins (the worst thing to happen to that character) did the reverse and infected the movie with no discernible sales bump.
    QFT Ive been going to the same LCS for 21 years and im really good friends with the owner, and this is pretty much true, at least in my area. what Marvel SHOULD do, Is during the trailers advertise the comics. they have no problem pimping thier books within the pages of other books so why not the movies? I bet if they showed some ads for the comics peoples interests would be sparked to go out and buy the books. since they are pretty much converting the mainstreem marvel books to mimic the movies anyway its a no brainer really
    Last edited by shadow panther; 04-26-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number_5 View Post
    Edit: Wacker also said here that the sales spike from when a movie comes out happens in the collections, not the individual issues. So, Avengers comes out next week. Exactly what collection featuring Nick Fury Jr. will be on the shelves for them next week? Again, it's a wasteful, fruitless effort.
    You've changed the discussion.

Avengers movie helps Avengers trades.

Don't worry folks, every couple weeks Marvel does something that ruins the company forever and makes folks like yourselves swear to quit FOREVER!!! (I recall a couple weeks back when it was changing Ms. Marvel's hair that was going to bring the company down and eventually get me fired.)

So chin up...next week's announcement will be even worse! Quit now and avoid the rush!

SW

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    qft ive been going to the same lcs for 21 years and im really good friends with the owner, and this is pretty much true, at least in my area. What marvel should do, is during the trailers advertise the comics. Its a no brainer really
    QFNT.

Steve W.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Well, I'd gather that most people that dislike the decision WILL ignore it.

However, that doesn't mean that people still can't regard it as a dumb decision.
    Exactly. Same as always.

I do the same when it comes to your posts, for example.

SW