Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    Canada worked. Can't see why this won't.

SW
    I'm not sure i understand...
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    I regret not getting the first couple of issues now
    It's been pretty good. I like the character of Marcus and his introduction, I think they went a little overboard in making him look like SLJ though. I like Marcus' original look quite a bit.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Canada used to be Finland and had an eyepatch.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Canada is a poor man's France. I don't agree.

It's really more of a poor man's Minnesota.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

It's good to see more fans crap on Black Fury. It really is a ridiculous move by Marvel.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

Immortal Weapon Prince Of Orphans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Canada used to be Finland and had an eyepatch.
    It all makes sense now!

(But seriously, i still don't understand)

If that was a shot against Canada I may have to pull out the "We have a working free healthcare system and you don't" card.
    Follow @MarvelWOWFacts on Twitter!

so i guess this means that people who buy Ultimate Universe comics should consider their days numbered.

Y'know, if they hadn't clarified the suited guy as being Coulson, I could've sworn he'd be some other SHIELD agent character.

Quote Originally Posted by IronMagnus View Post
    It's good to see more fans crap on Black Fury. It really is a ridiculous move by Marvel.
    I think it's awesome. It's making me laugh at how far Marvel is going to get him in universe but his intro has still been an awesome book.

They should shorten Marcus to Mac so they can call them "Mac 'n Cheese".

Quote Originally Posted by Stars 'N Stripes View Post
    Y'know, if they hadn't clarified the suited guy as being Coulson, I could've sworn he'd be some other SHIELD agent character.
    Kinda the point of the character. Just a dude doing his job.

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    They should shorten Marcus to Mac so they can call them "Mac 'n Cheese".
    That would be awesome.

-Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Stars 'N Stripes View Post
    but why couldn't it be 'Jim Finnigan' the offspring of Agent Coulson and a white school cafeteria worker? then Jim could start calling himself Cheese Coulson; because it's a transferable title?

I actually don't have much of a problem with this.

1. Editorial mandate sounds bad, but it can sometimes be good and even rewarding. Marvel only had Spider-Man marry MJ for that reason. They wanted, iirc, some parity between the daily strip and the monthly. Most people forget how quick their courtship was and how the marriage practically happened overnight. Granted, editorial also mandated that it be reversed, but the MJ Parker status quo held true for 20 years and fans loved it.

2. Marcus, predictably, is Nick's son. However, that's not such a bad thing either. Nick's got two other sons, Jake and Mikel, both homicidal maniacs who adopted the Scorpio identity. Wouldn't it be nice for Nick to have a good son for once?

3. So Nick's son is black. Big deal. That says a whole lot about our society these days. The idea that every family is so homogeneous is kind of outdated. The melting pot is in full effect these days. My own family is so diverse it's not funny.

4. So Marcus just so happens to look like Ultimate Nick Fury? Hard to believe? Not really. To us... Maybe. We know that it's an editorial decision. To the 616 characters... Do you really think that anybody is saying, "Hey! You look like Sam Jackson or Ultimate Nick Fury?" No. To them, he's a just a pretty bad-ass serviceman. The characters are probably saying, "Nick has a son? Wow! Chicks dig the flying car, I guess."

5. The eye patch thing... Of course it drives the point home that he's Nick's son, but it takes a sick sense of humor to make him look more like daddy in that way. It's like saying, "Dad, I don't want to be like you when I grow up." and then life kinda turns you into a version of your dad. It's almost poetic and even a bit ironic. Marcus has almost become a mirror image of the dad who abandoned him.

6. The other changes like the beard and baldness are clearly editorially mandate, but I think that readers will get over it. Marcus seems like a likable character and different enough from the very Sam Jackson like Ultimate Fury. Once we see him in action, I'm not so sure that we'll see the changes to Marcus as being anything more than cosmetic.

7. Remember when 616 Nick disguised himself as the Ultimate version? Marvel has certainly wanted the Ultimate version to be in the 616 in some form for a while. Now they get to have their cake and eat it too. Keep the regular 616 Nick, but also make new one too. I'm okay with that. As long as they find a place for Nick and don't kill him. Maybe have him rehabilitate HAMMER or something. Maybe have him attempt to retire, but be constantly dragged out of retirement. Turn him into the Clint Eastwood of the 616.

8. Marvel established a precedent for Nick having kids out of wedlock. Mikel Fury from Secret Warriors springs to mind. Marcus as Nick's illegitimate son didn't seem that out of place to me.

9. Cheese as Coulson? How cool is that? I was wondering where they were going with Cheese and why they were bothering to develop him. Now we know. I look forward to the 616's Agent Coulson. If only DC took Marvel's cue and integrated Chloe Sullivan "the right way". (Although DC does get brownie points for Harley.) Coulson's introduction is really very organic. So much so that even though we didn't see it coming it still feels right.

Once the shock wears off that the 616 has a Nick Fury Jr, I think that fans will be more than happy. Like I said, Marcus is NOT Ultimate Nick Fury. The character is definitely a bad-ass, but he's different enough to be his own character. I like that Steve's Super Solider costume isn't going to waste. I may not be such a fan that somebody other than Steve is wearing it, but Marcus wears it well.

Marcus as Kid Fury.... I'm all for it.

Soooooo, Samuel L. Jackson inspired the Ultimate Nick Fury, who inspired the Marvel cinematic Nick Fury who inspired somebody who looks exactly like movie Nick Fury, who looks exactly like Ultimate Nick Fury, who looks just like Samuel L. Jackson, but his name is Marcus Johnson?

Well, what else could I expect from the geniuses who brought us "Let's Make a Deal," starring Spider-man and Satan?
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde