Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    san francisco - the free range twink farm

"Scene stealing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    how many times do i have to post that link to Fraction's Defenders interview? Nick Fury is showing up in Defenders.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=35158
    He'd better- I've pretty much given up on The original Nick Fury sticking around- all iI can say is they better not kill off Coulson in the Movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Dear Clark Gregg,

I'm so so so sorry that the awesomeness you created with Agent Coulson is being sacrificed to pass off this horrible idea of Fake Fury merchandising. We both deserve better.

And there's clearly no value in having current fans who like to pick up a comic with characters that they recognize and have enjoyed for decades. Thanks a lot Marvel and Chris Yost.
    Hoodwinking at its finest. It is not the same character Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    david hasselhoff is ready
    god forbid.

BANNED

Huh...kinda weird how Battlescars is getting the followup and not Fearless...just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    If they were going to go that route, though, they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of fleshing out Marcus' backstory, right? They could've just created some hackneyed excuse why Fury's brain needed transplanted into this other body, who just happens to look like Samuel Jackson. So I don't think this is it. Man this is infuriating. All in the name of "new readers". What % of all comic readership each month is new readership, BTW? Anyone know? What about previous movies? How much was this new reader jump after the first IM movie, or the Thor movie, etc... Was it a 15% jump? Or a < 1% jump?
    The percentage might not be huge, but it's been said that one of the things that Bob Harras did wrong as editor-in-chief (IIRC) that lost him his position was not doing more to capitalize on the X-Men movies. So there is definitly a culture that they need tie-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey10 View Post
    Not only that but incase they have not noticed, Nick has not been head or even an member of shield for years now.
    Of course he has. He's just had a bunch of regents keeping the seat warm for his son to inherit the title Head of SHIELD. Let's hear it for nepotism! Otherwise, Marcus Johnson, who apparently is going to change his name to Nick Fury Jr., would be doomed to stay in ranks of SHIELD, like Gabe Jones.

So, if it's all for the new readers how do they plan to explain why everyone is calling him Marcus Johnson instead of Nick Fury? Can you imagine how confusing it will be for these poor people with only film knowledge? Probably enough to make them stop reading.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    RIP the real Nick Fury

Can't believe how hard Marvel is pushing this. Hope this character turns out to be a complete failure. (not Coulson, the other guy)
    Canada worked. Can't see why this won't.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Celestin View Post
    So, if it's all for the new readers how do they plan to explain why everyone is calling him Marcus Johnson instead of Nick Fury? Can you imagine how confusing it will be for these poor people with only film knowledge? Probably enough to make them stop reading.
    Most people just refer to him as Fury anyway. Not as much confusion as you'd think.

And has been said multiple times already, Fury's still around and active.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Dear Clark Gregg,

I'm so so so sorry that the awesomeness you created with Agent Coulson is being sacrificed to pass off this horrible idea of Fake Fury merchandising. We both deserve better.

And there's clearly no value in having current fans who like to pick up a comic with characters that they recognize and have enjoyed for decades. Thanks a lot Marvel and Chris Yost.
    I think Marvel keep making the mistake of putting the cinema goers needs before the remaining fans they have. None of the other films have brought any worthwhile amount of new readers to the fold. Why would this be any different. I just think Marvel seem to be in some kind of constant denial when it comes to these imaginary new readers.

I'm not saying they shouldn't try to put out the best product possible but lets be realistic here.

Honestly this just seems a bit tacky and incredibly contrived. It's almost embarresing. It reminds me of when they tried to make Toad and Mystique more like their movie counterparts in X-Men Forever. That was quite painful to read.

Or when they made Wolverine more handsome and taller. Or organic webshooters.

Honestly if new readers are going to struggle with such a simple concept as the comics are different situations to the movies then they really aren't going to last long. Never mind how confusing it will be for their fragile minds when they pick up Battle Scars and see that Nick Fury is white and the Nick Fury they know is called Marcus and is the son of Nick Fury but looks like Nick Fury from the movies.

If this is about the character going forward. Well good luck getting anyone who reads a current issue of Bendis' Avengers to stick around.

This really just seems like some kind of ill thought out knee jerk reaction. But hey Marvel is The House Of Bad Ideas these days.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    He'd better- I've pretty much given up on The original Nick Fury sticking around- all iI can say is they better not kill off Coulson in the Movie.
    Ummmmm........

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Most people just refer to him as Fury anyway. Not as much confusion as you'd think.

And has been said multiple times already, Fury's still around and active.
    Except his name isn't Fury. It's Marcus Johnson. His mother's name. The woman that raised him, and was fridged for him in this story. Nick Fury is the deadbeat dad who he never knew existed until this story, but to claim his throne, he'll clearly have dump his mother's name.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Marcus Johnson Fury?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

I love the ridiculous over the top reactions here. People take these little things way too seriously.