Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hack/Slash - Where to jump in at?

I want to jump into Hack/Slash, but not sure where to jump in at. Looking at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack/Slash) there is allot of back issues/TPBs. Can I just jump in with issue #1 of Vol 2 (current run)? My LCS had them all in stock pretty cheap. Does issues #1/vol2 start new or do you need to know what happen in vol 1?

Thanks
    Jason

I've been looking at getting into this series as well. I'm planning on picking up Hack/Slash Vol. 1 First Cut as I'd rather start with vol 1. Not sure how "newb-friendly" the second series is.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

When the comic jumped from DDP to Image, it started off at #1 but it wasn't a "reboot" in the traditional sense. And by that what I mean is that what happened in the DDP series, those things are still relevant. However, what Tim has managed to do very nicely is avoid doing a reboot while moving forward in a way that makes it to where if you're a newb, you won't be lost whatsoever. So you can easily just pick up Omnibus Volume 4, it contains the first 11 issues of the Image series, as well as a few of the crossovers. If you get that then track down the single issues of 12-14, you'll be entirely caught up on the ongoing Image series.

Volume 1: First Cut is a good trade but keep in mind that it just contains the earlier one shots that DDP did years back.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 04-23-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviancy View Post
    Volume 1: First Cut is a good trade but keep in mind that it just contains the earlier one shots that DDP did years back.
    This is the beginning of the series though, right?

I started reading it at the Image #1 and didn't have any problem figuring out what was going on. I enjoyed it so much that I went back and picked up the first 3 omni buses to read the earlier stories. But I was fine just jumping in with the Image #1.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Picked up the first omnibus tonight..it's broken down very nicely on wikipedia. Seems to me you could start with Omnibus 1, 2, or 4..or regular TPBs 1, 3, or 9.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackagarBoltagon View Post
    This is the beginning of the series though, right?
    The series? No.
    The characters? Yes.

It contains the first three one shots, totally stand alone stories that don't follow the typical series format.

And although they are fun one shots that have great art, nice tongue in cheek elements, and fun stories, I usually tell newbs to check out the trades of My First Maniac and Volume 9 first. Why? Because I think its better to find out what is first before what was, and things have changed since the early days. When the comic first started it played into slasher lore rather well but it was kind of cartoony, in a fun way. However, especially since the move to Image, although it still has cartoony elements, it has delved into the psyche of the characters a lot more, has gotten darker, and is more serious now than before. I think it has become a much better comic in the last year or so but there are those who've told me they preferred what was. So thats why I tell newbs to start with what with the Image series first to make sure they like how things are now before going too far back only to find out later they don't want to follow it anymore.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 04-24-2012 at 01:20 AM.

Thanks everyone for the info, I am going to jump in at vol2 #1 and go from there. Looking forward to checking out this title!

Thanks a lot Deviancy, I appreciate the info.

Thanks Deviancy!

Also, as a try out for the book, I specifically made the book MY FIRST MANIAC just for that, which in addition to giving you the origin and vibe of the book, is only 9.99!!
    TIM

I started with Images four issue mini/tpb My First Maniac accompanied by the Image one-shot Me Without You. Both are origin stories for major characters. I was fortunate my local shop had every issue from the ongoing. Read all those then I bought the first three omni's after.

Quote Originally Posted by timseeley View Post
    Thanks Deviancy!

Also, as a try out for the book, I specifically made the book MY FIRST MANIAC just for that, which in addition to giving you the origin and vibe of the book, is only 9.99!!
    TIM
    Thanks for the info, going to see if I can find this over my lunch hour today, and pick up all the issues from Vol 2. I am traveling all next week for work, and will have plenty of time to sit and read this.

I know this is a old thread, but wanted to post a update. I ended up picking up Vol 1 - 3 of the Omnibus and LOVE this series! So well done, great artwork, funny dialog and just a fun read. I just ordered Omnibus Vol 4 from Amazon tonight. I highly recommend this series!

Volume 4 I believe is the start of the Image series and like I said earlier, thats when things get even better. One of my fave slashers returns, I just totally dig Acid Angel. She's really quite difference since there aren't many slashers that are hot blondes that get their power by being turned on.

I may need to pick up Volume 3, I'm afraid I lost many of my DDP issues last month due to a pull box mishap.

Shit happens..
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 05-30-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviancy View Post
    Volume 4 I believe is the start of the Image series and like I said earlier, thats when things get even better. One of my fave slashers returns, I just totally dig Acid Angel. She's really quite difference since there aren't many slashers that are hot blondes that get their power by being turned on.

I may need to pick up Volume 3, I'm afraid I lost many of my DDP issues last month due to a pull box mishap.

Shit happens..
    Since I have Omnibus 1-4, is that all the material or am I still missing anything?