Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default BOSTON COMIC CON NEW 52 PANEL, WW related

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    From DC Women Kicking Ass http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/...0153/bostoncon

The most interesting thing is that it confirms the 0 issues in September.

Metal Woman
    From the thread over at the DC board.

I found this quite interesting:
    Chiang said the book is “getting a different reader” and that many people came by to tell him they had never read a Wonder Woman comic before.

BANNED

adding fuel to dem flames, eh?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    adding fuel to dem flames, eh?
    Yay and the marshmellows are here!

CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar

Here's what I'm worried about in that regard.

I fear that Azzarello will get new readers but alienate the core fanbase. In the end, he'll end up a bit ahead or break even with what the total readership used to be.

Then when he leaves, the Azzarello fans go and the sales drop below average for the book.

I really hope that at some point he at least tries to find a middle ground without compromising the story he wants to tell.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

Then when he leaves, the Azzarello fans go and the sales drop below average for the book.
    It depends on who comes when he goes, I think. Someone like Snyder or Lemire might appeal to Veritgo/Dark readers even more than Azz does. Plus, they might be more inclined, by temperament and style, to seek that "middle ground" and call back some (admittedly, not necessarily all) of the book's traditional readers.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    It depends on who comes when he goes, I think. Someone like Snyder or Lemire might appeal to Veritgo/Dark readers even more than Azz does. Plus, they might be more inclined, by temperament and style, to seek that "middle ground" and call back some (admittedly, not necessarily all) of the book's traditional readers.
    I will return when the book becomes bright and cheerful at its core. I do suspect that the Vertigo crowd are dedicated followers of trends, and when the buzz dies down most will abandon it for the next big thing. If it remains a dark and Vertigo-styled book I'd expect that eventually the sales will drop to typical Vertigo numbers.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

I hope so. There are aspects of the current run I enjoy and other things I don't like so much, and I can see why some of the older readers are upset and would leave. I just don't like the idea of sacrificing old readers for new - it doesn't seem like a respectful way to treat the diehard fans, nor does it seem like a great business practice.

I think the question that should come into play here is: "Will the NEXT creative team of the WW comic be mindful of the formula that raised her sales?" (under Azzarello).

If we get yet another "Bold, New Direction" ignoring EVERYTHING he did then it's up in the air. It might be received even better (depending what it is) or it might be a dud and return to the same level of sales pre-600 having Diana be the good old "Perfect" creature from an island of perfect creatures. These are obviously the two camps voicing opinions throughout forums.

It's something that will not be known until the change of creative team happens.

Morrison has expressed interest so that might not even happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Yay and the marshmellows are here!
    Beer too!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    Beer too!

Hmm, drinking beer and roasting marshmellows with Ares...what could go wrong? :)

BANNED

Look, Dr. Hurt, most of the people who do not like the newcomers for this reason. Many people here do believe that the key to bringing back the old WW is to 'eliminate' our people.

<comes out with an old fashioned watering can painted with bright happy flowers>

<uses said watering can to douse the flames>

We are all of us fans of Wonder Woman, or at least I would hope so :)

And we're a diverse bunch, from old time readers like myself to people who just came on with Azzarello. All of you are awesome in your own way.

Over the decades (yes, I was a member of an online comic book forum in the late 80s back when CompuServe was still around and I had a C64) people have loved the writers and hated the writers, marveled at the art or spit on it (for me, that would be Don Heck ;) ) and many more had opinions in between.

No matter the opinion, it should be respected.

I'd really love to see the 'us vs. them' mentality toned down a touch. We can all debate, discuss and disagree in a mature fashion without throwing gasoline on any fires.

Just a positive thought from your neighborhood WW Forum Mom/Moderator.

Gaelforce

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    Look, Dr. Hurt, most of the people who do not like the newcomers for this reason. Many people here do believe that the key to bringing back the old WW is to 'eliminate' our people.
    Well I'm sorry but that is just silly.

Wonder Woman will be back, this I know, as surely as Supergirl is Clarks cousin and Barry Allen is the Flash.

But I hope that nobody here is foolish enough to believe that this will happen because people liking the book now are made to hate it.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Well I'm sorry but that is just silly.

Wonder Woman will be back, this I know, as surely as Supergirl is Clarks cousin and Barry Allen is the Flash.

But I hope that nobody here is foolish enough to believe that this will happen because people liking the book now are made to hate it.
    yeah I know it is pretty silly, that is why I said it...