Page 234 of 314 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 4703
  1. #3496
    Senior Member Whip Whirlwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    I'll be really disappointed if this show gets cancelled. I know it has its faults, but I feel like it really got the short end of the stick as far as distribution / promotion is concerned.

    The multiple hiatuses related to DC Nation can't have helped.

  2. #3497
    Got Tickets for SDCC '15! Power Torch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Encinitas, CA
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    why don't ou like CGI shows?
    I just don't like the style. I am a 90s kid, I have a weak spot for drawn cartoons, and I think they look way better. Plus I think it takes longer to do drawn art, so you can see that ,if its done well, the staff really care for the show and have put there heart into it.

    Will I stop watch DC cartoons after the drawn shows are gone. No, I like a good story.
    "I'm no KILLER, I merely prevent greedy individuals from despoiling the planet."
    -Poison Ivy;BoP#3
    -Pulls:Dark Horse: Ghost, X, Captain Midnight, Blackout. (Check profile for DC).

  3. #3498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    That's all utter nonsense. In the first half-season alone virtually every character had gone through some development, from even the Guardians to Zillius Zox.
    The whole thing with the Guardians, I'll give you that. That's something they actually handled right. But did Zox change? All he did was sell out his boss. He resented him anyways.

    But the main four didn't have much growth. The only one you could argue had some was Razer, and honestly, he's the only one somewhat interesting to me. The others just seem like classic archetypes, rather than characters.

    And saying they never seem to be in danger just makes me question whether you have some sort of memory loss.
    Emphasis on SEEM. The Red Lanterns lacked a lot of presence. They never came off as intimidating or a true force for our heroes to reckon. Atrocitus even had some huge moments of idiocy, like telling Razer the truth about his planet. That's one of the things that made the mid-season finale so underwhelming. The only memorable part of the episode was Kilowog and Saint Walker flipping RL ships like nothing.

    The only difference between the danger here and in YJ is that Hal and his crew actually don't seem completely ineffectual with all of their actions just being part of the bad guy's plans.
    And it seems you have some memory loss as well. The heroes in YJ have also scored plenty of victories and have come as very effectual. The fact that as young heroes, they are learning from their mistakes and become more effectual, makes their few victories even more satisfying. That's why when they played the villains off in "Usual Suspects" or when they rescued the other team members and the kidnapped teens in "Before the Dawn", it actually felt satisfying. It was great seeing the teens being smart and professional. Though GL has some really cool moments, I never have the same tension or satisfaction.

  4. #3499
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    That's all utter nonsense. In the first half-season alone virtually every character had gone through some development, from even the Guardians to Zillius Zox.

    And saying they never seem to be in danger just makes me question whether you have some sort of memory loss. The only difference between the danger here and in YJ is that Hal and his crew actually don't seem completely ineffectual with all of their actions just being part of the bad guy's plans.
    This. The only reason the YJ characters are in "more danger" is because they idiotically stumble into every trap the villains have.

    It's an interesting contrast though. How Hal and Kilowag are proactively trying to figure out what's going on with the Red Lanterns before an invasion happens, while the YJ characters are just ineffectual and reactive.

  5. #3500
    Omnidisciplinary Nerd
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    8,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    This. The only reason the YJ characters are in "more danger" is because they idiotically stumble into every trap the villains have.

    It's an interesting contrast though. How Hal and Kilowag are proactively trying to figure out what's going on with the Red Lanterns before an invasion happens, while the YJ characters are just ineffectual and reactive.
    you need to start watching the second season, because this statement indicates you haven't

  6. #3501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    while the YJ characters are just ineffectual and reactive.
    That's just the Justice League, though. While Nightwing and Aqualad's plan is incredibly risky, it's still a much better effort than anything the League ever did.

  7. #3502
    Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Dang, I hope this doesn't get cancelled as I really like Young Justice and its explorations into the DC universe. It managed to show characters like Miss Martian, Aqualad, Superboy, the Reach, Kroloteans and others. If anything, its erratic scheduling though is one of the things that goes against it. Kind of hoped for a third season for Young Justice

    EDIT: Plus, I never knew about characters like Icon or Rocket until this show.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

  8. #3503
    evil maybe, genius no stk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harbinger of Apocalypse View Post
    EDIT: Plus, I never knew about characters like Icon or Rocket until this show.
    Which is ironic, since those characters may be a big part of the reason the show is getting cancelled.

    I think Young Justice has been a strong contender for the best DC super-hero cartoon WB has ever produced. The animation is the best we've seen since Fleischer, I like the return to slightly less stylized character designs, the stories and overall continuity are super-tight, and I love the characterizations of everyone. Not just 'The Team,' but of the JLA, villains, supporting characters, everyone. It handles the shared universe as well as JLU, and team dynamics & relationships arguably better. It's also my second favorite iteration of the Teen Titans of all-time, after only NTT. I hope they find some way to release at least the rest of this season, and I am incredibly disappointed we won't see a third.

  9. #3504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Which is ironic, since those characters may be a big part of the reason the show is getting cancelled.
    Did this get to anything beyond just a rumor? Most of the sources discussing this link back to a blog that the author admitted on /co/ to have been written as an exaggerated theory.

  10. #3505
    evil maybe, genius no stk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Did this get to anything beyond just a rumor? Most of the sources discussing this link back to a blog that the author admitted on /co/ to have been written as an exaggerated theory.
    I don't think anything is confirmed, but it doesn't seem unlikely when you see how Icon and Rocket have been photoshopped out of the comic tie-in.

  11. #3506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    I don't think anything is confirmed, but it doesn't seem unlikely when you see how Icon and Rocket have been photoshopped out of the comic tie-in.
    Good god brah, how many times do I have to say. Stop listening to Bleeding Cool and Rich Johnston. Rocketis IN the ISSUE in which they aired out Icon. That makes o logical sense as the reason. Stop spreading fear.

  12. #3507
    evil maybe, genius no stk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Good god brah, how many times do I have to say. Stop listening to Bleeding Cool and Rich Johnston. Rocketis IN the ISSUE in which they aired out Icon. That makes o logical sense as the reason. Stop spreading fear.
    Says here:
    http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/20...solicitations/
    that issue #25 is the final issue of the Young Justice comic series. How many times in the past has a cartoon tie-in comic been cancelled before the cartoon series? Zero times. Usually, the comics last well beyond the lifespan of the show.

    And maybe they weren't able to get rid of Rocket in the interior pages in time to make print. Let's see if she appears in #22. My guess is that she won't.

  13. #3508
    Tai'shar Manetheren Jadenewt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    4,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Says here:
    http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/20...solicitations/
    that issue #25 is the final issue of the Young Justice comic series. How many times in the past has a cartoon tie-in comic been cancelled before the cartoon series? Zero times. Usually, the comics last well beyond the lifespan of the show.

    And maybe they weren't able to get rid of Rocket in the interior pages in time to make print. Let's see if she appears in #22. My guess is that she won't.
    If Cartoon Network hadn't pulled the show and iced it for 3 months the comic would have ended first.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

  14. #3509
    evil maybe, genius no stk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jadenewt View Post
    If Cartoon Network hadn't pulled the show and iced it for 3 months the comic would have ended first.
    You're missing my point. I'm saying the comic IS ending first. Even if the cartoon hadn't been pulled. And I am saying that seems like proof he cartoon is coming to an end, whether they manage to bring it back for the rest of season 2 (I hope) or not.

  15. #3510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    The whole thing with the Guardians, I'll give you that. That's something they actually handled right. But did Zox change? All he did was sell out his boss. He resented him anyways.

    But the main four didn't have much growth. The only one you could argue had some was Razer, and honestly, he's the only one somewhat interesting to me. The others just seem like classic archetypes, rather than characters.
    Hal may not have been completely different but the Hal Jordan who said flat-out that the Guardians should make reprimands for the Manhunters' actions while trying to extend a hand of peace to Atrocitus was a big change from the Hal in earlier episodes who simply was just going to fix the invasion problem by just hitting Red Lanterns with a giant green fist.
    Kilowog was really pissed from the early episodes about the Green Lanterns' deaths at the hands of Red Lanterns' as well as Razor's actions, yet by the end even he had gotten over it and accepted Razor as a friend, though yeah, he probably had the least growth.
    Aya and Razor had the most growth and I'm not even going to argue about that because it was the most in-your-face and obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Emphasis on SEEM. The Red Lanterns lacked a lot of presence. They never came off as intimidating or a true force for our heroes to reckon.
    Hal and Kilowog were frequently outmatched and their constructs were shattering so much it was looking like they were getting jobbed. Most the time Aya had to bail them out.

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Atrocitus even had some huge moments of idiocy, like telling Razer the truth about his planet.
    Yes, he acted without thinking about consequences. Kind of like someone who's so angry they wield a ring powered by anger.

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    That's one of the things that made the mid-season finale so underwhelming. The only memorable part of the episode was Kilowog and Saint Walker flipping RL ships like nothing.
    Maybe, but it tied up pretty much everything from both a plot and a character standpoint. That didn't happen with the YJ season finale.

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    And it seems you have some memory loss as well. The heroes in YJ have also scored plenty of victories and have come as very effectual. The fact that as young heroes, they are learning from their mistakes and become more effectual, makes their few victories even more satisfying. That's why when they played the villains off in "Usual Suspects" or when they rescued the other team members and the kidnapped teens in "Before the Dawn", it actually felt satisfying. It was great seeing the teens being smart and professional. Though GL has some really cool moments, I never have the same tension or satisfaction.
    Yeah, and most of those victories they have are minor and ultimately seem meaningless in the long run, often immediately dismissed by the main villains as exactly that.

    You mentioned Before the Dawn. But when you look at what really happened- sure, they saved a handful of kids from the Reach weaponising them, but did the Reach really need them to win over Earth? The episode shows you they have a huge fleet waiting on the ocean floor. And I'm sure as far as advantages against Earth go, getting rid off the Justice League is a much bigger one. Oh, and the team got the crap kicked out of them by Black Beetle, and Nightwing's brilliant plan which was their only example of doing something that wasn't reactive ended with Aqualad getting mindraped. And then the Reach got welcomed to Earth. Great victory.

    (Side note: I don't dislike this show, and if you are going to screw up in a couple places, I think it's better that occured as a result of too much ambition rather than too little. And admittedly I wouldn't be adverse to the show getting a third season if only because Weisman said the show would have another timeskip, thus leaving us with the potential to have Dick-Bats, Damian as Robin, Steph as Batgirl and Jason as the Red Hood.)

    Yes, if you want good drama, you need lots of conflict. But there's a line you have to ride. Legend of Korra ended up in exactly the same mess, all these episodes of the heroes getting beaten down to make all this build-up for when they eventually pull through and then you got to the end and you realised it was rushed and sloppy and didn't make any sense. And we saw how they ended the first season of YJ and I can't see how you could possibly say that was a satisfying end for all that build-up. The bad guys won. They may not have had a longer-lasting control over the League, but they got pretty much what they set out to do. They set up the invasion, and they arranged it so the Justice League wouldn't be around to protect Earth at the same time. The heroes didn't win, they just reduced the spoils for the villains, in a really clumsy way by finding a fix to their problem off-screen. All that build-up just so you could see the team all pair up and make out at New Year's.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •