Default Best way to read the old ultimates?

Im loving the ultimate comics ultimates and wanted to get your opinions on the best way to catch up on the older stuff. Are omnibuses the way to go? And I don't want to go digital. Thanks!

I'd say trades. After Ultimatum, they're even colour coded!
    Comics are more better.

BANNED

The Ultimates: Super-Human by Mark Millar
    The Ultimates: Homeland Security by Mark Millar

The Ultimates 2: Gods & Monsters by Mark Millar
    The Ultimates 2: Grand Theft America by Mark Millar

The Ulrimates 3: Sex, Lies and DVD by Jeph Loeb - Though oddly enough, it's also called 'Who Killed The Scarlet Witch?. I don't know why it has two sub-titles when it's only a five issue mini series. I've never quite understood that. If someone would be so kind to explain why that is, I'd greatly appreciate their help.

Ultimatum By Jeph Loeb - Not really an Ultimates book but you'll struggle to understand Loeb's (terrible) plot design if you don't read it. So if your keen on reading the entire anthology, I suggest you pick it up.

New Ultimates By Jeph Loeb - IMO the worst book in the entirety of the UU. But most posters on this forum would disagree with that.

Notable Mentions
    Ultimate Galactus Trilogy by Warren Ellis
    Ultimate Human by Warren Ellis
    Ultimate Wolverine Versus Hulk by David Lindelof
    Ultimate Avengers: The Next Generation by Mark Millar
    Ultimate Avengers 2: Crime and Punishment by Mark Millar
    Ultimate Avengers 3: Blade Versus The Avengers by Mark Millar
    Ultimate Avengers Versus New Ultimates by Mark Millar

BANNED

The first two Ultimates series are by far the best, excluding the current run.

The Ultimates, The Ultimates 2, the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy and Ultimate Human are incredible! I know there's no need to shout but I strongly recommend those books. Your also likely to enjoy them even more than Hickman's current run. Get them. I dictate you to do so.

Great thanks! I'm thinking all just stick with mark Millar's stuff and ignore loeb because I'm really not into his style. I've seen on the boards that ultimate comics ultimates is in some ways a sequel to ultimates 2?

^yeah, do that. Millar's stuff was real good. I skipped the loeb stuff too. I read Ultimatum only to find out how Reed became evil and after reading that I'll never go back to read his stuff for Ultimates Vol 3 and 4.
    Bring back X-23's series petition
    https://www.change.org/petitions/mar...n-series-again

Bring back X-23's series facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/X23Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    The first two Ultimates series are by far the best, excluding the current run.

The Ultimates, The Ultimates 2, the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy and Ultimate Human are incredible! I know there's no need to shout but I strongly recommend those books. Your also likely to enjoy them even more than Hickman's current run. Get them. I dictate you to do so.
    Haha, well in that case I guess I'll have to go out and get them. You really think I'll enjoy them more then the current ultimates??

Question, how does ultimate comics avengers by Millar fit into the ultimates continuity? Should I read that as well?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pandastrike View Post
    Great thanks! I'm thinking all just stick with mark Millar's stuff and ignore loeb because I'm really not into his style. I've seen on the boards that ultimate comics ultimates is in some ways a sequel to ultimates 2?
    His Ultimate Avengers books are flawed.
    But the first one, The Next Generation is f'ing incredible.

Also, I suggest you read Millar's original run 'The Ultimates' and then get right on Warren Ellis' 'Galactus Trilogy' before starting on 'The Ultimates 2'. Trust me. Ellis' Ultimate Galactus Trilogy takes place in-between the two and you're gona have a blast reading it. Some posters on this board would even say it's better.

The Ultimates: Super-Human by Mark Millar
    The Ultimates: Homeland Security by Mark Millar

The Ultimates 2: Gods & Monsters by Mark Millar
    The Ultimates 2: Grand Theft America by Mark Millar

The Ulrimates 3: Sex, Lies and DVD by Jeph Loeb - Though oddly enough, it's also called 'Who Killed The Scarlet Witch?. I don't know why it has two sub-titles when it's only a five issue mini series. I've never quite understood that. If someone would be so kind to explain why that is, I'd greatly appreciate their help.

Ultimatum By Jeph Loeb - Not really an Ultimates book but you'll struggle to understand Loeb's (terrible) plot design if you don't read it. So if your keen on reading the entire anthology, I suggest you pick it up.

New Ultimates By Jeph Loeb - IMO the worst book in the entirety of the UU. But most posters on this forum would disagree with that.

Notable Mentions
    Ultimate Galactus Trilogy by Warren Ellis
    Ultimate Human by Warren Ellis
    Ultimate Wolverine Versus Hulk by David Lindelof
    Ultimate Avengers: The Next Generation by Mark Millar
    Ultimate Avengers 2: Crime and Punishment by Mark Millar
    Ultimate Avengers 3: Blade Versus The Avengers by Mark Millar
    Ultimate Avengers Versus New Ultimates by Mark Millar
    You forgot Ultimate Comics: Armor Wars by Warren Ellis

BANNED

Haha, well in that case I guess I'll have to go out and get them. You really think I'll enjoy them more then the current ultimates??
    There is a very large possibility.
    IMO The Ultimates, UGT and The Ultimates 2 are THE best books of the Ultimate line and a great deal other posters on this board feel the same way too. They are the gold standard that Hickman must live up to.

Question, how does ultimate comics avengers by Millar fit into the ultimates continuity? Should I read that as well?
    I suggest you read them all in this order:
    * The Ultimates
    * Ultimate Galactus Trilogy
    * The Ultimates 2
    * Ultimate Human
    * Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk

THEN if you want to. Read:
    * Ultimate Armor Wars by Ellis
    * Ultimate Thor by Hickman (The same guy who's writing the current series)
    * Ultimate Avengers: TNG by Millar
    * Ultimate Avengers 2: C&P by Millar
    * Ultimate Captain America by Jason Aaron (I love this book)
    * Ultimate Avengers 3: BvsTA by Millar (Dissapointing)
    * Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates by Millar (Dissapointing)

But of course, these opinons are all bias is some way as I can only speak for myself.

What ulti ate books are you currently reading? You a spiderman fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Alfa View Post
    You forgot Ultimate Comics: Armor Wars by Warren Ellis
    I wasn't trying to name all of Ellis' Ultimate titles and I didn't include Armor Wars because it only featured one ultimate. Similarly to 'Ultimate Thor' and 'Ultimate Captain America'. Anyway I've included them now.
    Last edited by Robbie_Jee; 04-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.

His Ultimate Avengers books are flawed.
    But the first one, The Next Generation is f'ing incredible.

Also, I suggest you read Millar's original run 'The Ultimates' and then get right on Warren Ellis' 'Galactus Trilogy' before starting on 'The Ultimates 2'. Trust me. Ellis' Ultimate Galactus Trilogy takes place in-between the two and you're gona have a blast reading it. Some posters on this board would even say it's better.

yeah, the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy is really good.
    Bring back X-23's series petition
    https://www.change.org/petitions/mar...n-series-again

Bring back X-23's series facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/X23Fan

What ulti ate books are you currently reading? You a spiderman fan?

Yes I'm reading all the other current ultimate books. I haven't read all of hawkeyes yet. Spiderman is great, but I need to catch up on that too. I just got into comics last year so I have a lot of back reading to do.