Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    once and future

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    Yeah, but I readily admit to not being a very good feminist. I agree with many of their points but not all of them. One of the reasons I started reading Wonder Woman was to provide me with some of her enlightenment.
    You should probably receive a court order against declaring yourself any kind of feminist after calling an (albeit fictional) woman 'whorish' for having had sex.

There's this bizarre irony that some of the most ridiculous intolerance on this forum happens within the Wonder Woman board.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
    You should probably receive a court order against declaring yourself any kind of feminist after calling an (albeit fictional) woman 'whorish' for having had sex.

There's this bizarre irony that some of the most ridiculous intolerance on this forum happens within the Wonder Woman board.
    I'm not intolerant, I like whores.

once and future

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    I'm not intolerant, I like whores.
    Gold star!

Mark Millar Licks Goats BeccaBlast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Rolling Rock? The beer? I do not get the joke. :(

eta: do you mean the "33" on the bottle?
    Well, if the Amazons are gonna act like a lacrosse team on a bender -- might as well include their beverage of choice, right?
    Some days a girl wants to ride ponies. Some days a girl wants to punch tanks. Today ... is a tank day.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    I should be working on a thesis about Francis I of France use of the cavalry during the Battle of Pavia for my history’s exam.
    But this is more important! (Also far more interesting).
    I start from various posts of our fellow companion, SteveGus, in which he predicts the complete annihilation of Diana’s character and her transformation from the hero loved by many into Lady Death:

It seems this idea has quite some supporters, and believe that Azzarello is just trying to make WW world grimmier and darker to attract that filthy Vertigo's crowd that wants nothing but violence and sex. I say, for the hundred times, you’re being paranoid and pessimistic in a totally exaggerated way.
    "But then, what's Azzarello endgame?"
    What he's trying to do with Diana? (aside from telling a great story?) He's destroying her for some sadistic pleasure? And if not, what's gonna happen in the end?
    Well, Azzarello already did all these things, this WW storyarc presents the same approach than another one of his biggest contribution to the DC superhero genre.
    Have you ever read Superman: For Tomorrow?

Brief history lesson: after the success of Batman Hush, DC realized that “Hey, Jim Lee artworks + Big character = Lots and lots of money” so they slapped him on Superman for another year-long storyarc, and they called Azzarello to write this marathon.
    The result was a story that once you read it in a trade it’s a masterpiece, but month by month I can see it being considerate an endless nightmare much like many view this WW run right here, (thought I feel different about it this time).

In FT, it looked like Azzarello was taking great pleasure in deconstruct everything about Superman mythos. Spoiler for those who didn’t read For Tomorrow (go and do it now)

1*While Superman was off-planet saving Green Lantern, something happen on Earth: thousands of people disappeared into thin air. Where? How? Why? Nobody knows. Lois Lane is with them. Superman lost his wife, she’s gone. Much like Diana's mother and sisters are away.
    Also, you never see the rest of Superman's cast during for tomorrow, just like you don't see Steve Trevor in this one.

2*Incapable of coping alone with the tragedy, Superman ask a priest to be his confessor. He chooses a particular one, because with his X-Ray vision, he noted that the guy has an inoperable tumor that will end up killing him, so he will definitely never tell anybody about their conversations. DAMN. Superdickery at work.

3*Superman tries and FAILS to stop a war. Hundreds die. Then he tries and FAILS to stop an execution. Dozens die.

4*Planet Earth itself, represented by Elemental Titans (rock is Mount Rushmore hell yeah) decide that Superman gotta go, so they try to smack him out of the planet. And how does he resolve this situation? With a summary, he says “Back off Earth or I’ll destroy you. You know I can do it.” and the Planet retreats. It’s an awesome scene, yet at the same time, incredibly dark and scary. You do know Superman is capable of doing all of this, and when later the priest asks him “Would you really have done it?” there’s no real answer, just silence.

5*Superman wants to find the Lois and the other victims of the dissapearings. He attempts what all the other superheroes see as a suicide. He doesn’t think so, but at this point of the story, Superman seems completely insane so trusting his judgment isn’t something the reader is enticed to do. Diana tries to stop him (Wonder Woman is beautifully written in this, even thought Jim Lee goes way too much for the ass shots). Look at this scene:

It sounds and looks like a battle between a hero and a supervillain. Superman has gloving red eyes, a snarl on his face, and his words are strong and threatening.

6*The Fortress of Solitude, Superman’s home base since the 1950, is destroyed. Ka-boom, self destruct mechanism, nothing left. Much like Paradise Island has been removed from the story.

7*Superman later realized that the disappearance of all those people at the beginning of the story was entirely his fault, because he created the machine to do it, acting like a jerk-ass with god syndrome, creating entire universes just “for fun” (I’m simplifying it). It was practically a giant escape-pod in case things on Earth got too difficult for him and humanity. Together with the fake-suicide, this is another instance of Clark running away from his troubles.

So, in the end, for 12 issues, Azzarello had done nothing but pile-up s**t on Superman and disassembling every single aspect of him, turning him into a malevolent God, both a bully and a coward. Obviously he wants to make him a villain, right?
    How does this story end?

Azzarello practically breaks the fourth wall and give the reader a pat to the shoulder. Superman comes to terms with himself, the world is brought back to order, Lois Lane comes back, she’s saved and so are the lives of thousands, a big bad villain is defeated, and Clark himself rebuilds his Fortress, but this time, he places it inside of a jungle, where life is at his peak, not in the middle of Antarctica an Iceland where nothing grows and nothing lives. It’s symbolic. Superman comes out of it stronger than before, his mission clearer than ever.
    At the end he does ask “Who will save me?” knowing that even with his powers he can make big mistakes, but at the same time he realizes that he has a purpose in life, and that’s “do good and save the world”, the character perfect summary.

What does this have to do with Wonder Woman?
    I see Azzarello doing the exact same character work that he did on For Tomorrow.
    Right now we’re on issue 8. For Tomorrow Part 8 was the point of the story where Superman was about to commit “suicide”, he was savagely battling against Diana herself to do it, and he had already beat the Planet into submission.
    He isn’t trying to destroy Diana because he hates her and wants to turn her into a super anti-villain Punisher style, he’s taking the same approach that he took with Superman, creating a level of dread and suffering that makes the hero final resolution much more powerful and solid.

If in the end Brian Azzarello does turn Wonder Woman into an hellspawn like many are so sure of, fine, I’ll apologize, but right now we don’t have any proof to actually say that he’s trying to make her an anti-hero a loveless shell, beside “Azzarello is a jerk and he hates everything about Diana and he’s a misogynist pretentious Vertigo lapdog”.
    Oh, and that’s not a proof at all.
    Thank you for giving me hope. After watching Diana take a bullet through the heart my patience was wearing thin, but now I feel ready to face the remaining issues in this run.