Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    Seriously though, Oreo;

>military history
    >France

choose one

Also Impact you are aware of the Sandra Fluke incident right? this is the reason why 'slut-shaming' is such a hot incident, people are increasingly becoming sensitive about using a womans sexuality against her.

Yes I'm fully aware of Sandra Fluke and that Rush Limbaugh is an idiot. Sluts and man whores are still something we shouldn't aspire to be. It's all about being responsible, for your sake and that of your future partners.

BANNED

It's great to like sex, but by playing wild and loose with it you're shooting yourself in the foot. No one's going to want to give you any once you have herpes and genital warts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    Yes I'm fully aware of Sandra Fluke and that Rush Limbaugh is an idiot. Sluts and man whores are still something we shouldn't aspire to be. It's all about being responsible, for your sake and that of your future partners.
    The problem is that even a women, like Fluke, who was advocating for birth control for someone else, was regarded as being a sexual deviant. Zola is depicted as being admittedly sexually active yes, but I do not even see the point in calling her a slut really. So she likes sex, okay...I dont see a problem with that myself, but the problem with the word slut is it carries a negative history used to demean woman. The n-word itself is not a swear word it os the historical context that is relavent in understanding why the word is taboo.

BANNED

The problem is that even a women, like Fluke, who was advocating for birth control for someone else, was regarded as being a sexual deviant. Zola is depicted as being admittedly sexually active yes, but I do not even see the point in calling her a slut really. So she likes sex, okay...I dont see a problem with that myself, but the problem with the word slut is it carries a negative history used to demean woman. The n-word itself is not a swear word it os the historical context that is relavent in understanding why the word is taboo.
    "Slut" isn't a term I generally use, I have however known a few "hoes". Am I supposed to pretend they don't exist?

BANNED

"Slut" isn't a term I generally use, I have however known a few "hoes". Am I supposed to pretend they don't exist?
    If I refuse to use the n-word, does this mean Africans do not exist?

BANNED

If I refuse to use the n-word, does this mean Africans do not exist?
    One is not a synonym for the other, the fact you think so exposes your racist tendencies.

BANNED

One is not a synonym for the other, the fact you think so exposes your racist tendencies.
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

BANNED

alright, first of all, it would make me ignorant, not slighted to racism (I dont even believe in 'races')

Anyway, I'm fairly sure it is a synonym for black toned people from the African continent.

Her whorish redneck background for one. lol
    Hehe, I love when the feminist speak their heart

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who liked For Tomorrow (then again, I only read it in trades).
    I've been saying since it came out that For Tomorrow is one of the best Superman stories of all time, behind the Moore and Morrison stuff.

It was a bit of a slog in single issues, but even then you could see the brilliance of conception, slow as it was.

Wonder Woman reads better on a monthly basis, and has created a stronger cast of characters and built a stronger world, but For Tomorrow was a pitch perfect analysis of the Superman mythos, the core of the character, and a reaffirmation of it.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    For Tomorrow was a pitch perfect analysis of the Superman mythos....
    I'm not sure I want any character's mythos to be analysed. I know I do want the character's mythos to be used to tell stories.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I'm not sure I want any character's mythos to be analysed. I know I do want the character's mythos to be used to tell stories.
    The mythos can't be "analyzed" without telling a story.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    But I think analyzing it, taking it apart a little, playing with the individual bits, replacing a few of the more well worn segments and strengthening the foundations is PART of telling a good story.

You look at something like All Star Superman, or Moore's Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, or his For the Man Who Has Everything, and they are exploring the underpinnings of the character on various levels; either by systematically stripping away the trappings - the supporting cast, the secret identity, the faithful side kicks, the base, the villains - until only the core character remains, or by putting him in situations specifically designed to reinforce or fundamental elements of the character or are allegorical or what have you. And they resonate for just that reason.

And the same is true for Batman and the Dark Knight Returns and Morrison's run on that title. And so forth and so on.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    The mythos can't be "analyzed" without telling a story.
    We analyze it to death here without telling any stories, no? ;)
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-22-2012 at 12:03 AM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Hehe, I love when the feminist speak their heart
    I thought I'd get more push back from the redneck comment actually.