Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

1996 was my first year of full time employment,the first time in my life I had disposable income. I was paid $220(AUD) a week, only had to give my folks 20 bucks for room & board. I'd stopped reading most of the Marvel floppies about a year prior but started to be interested in less mainstream stuff. I was normally spending around 50-60 bucks a week (two trades/GN's or a whole stack of various floppies). Hate, eightball, Frank Miller, Evan Dorkin were all favourites. Picked up a copy of AKA Goldfish by Bendis before anyone had heard of him. The Caliber printed one where the pages came apart as you turned them. MY first year of getting a good comics education. Good memories.
    Visit my comics blog http://mugshotcomics.com become a member, leave a comment. Updated twice weekly

I thought the writing on X-Men was superb in the early-to-mid 90's. We we getting more bits about Wolverine's history, an X-Man from the future showed up saying that Xavier's dream never happened, it was the beginning of two X-titles and the best artists in the business were working on the titles. In my eyes, those were my favorite years.

Mine would be from the early to mid 80s for marvel...then looooong fade out to about 2003 or so with Batman and some Ultimate titles, Amazing Spiderman, onto Decimation, House of M, Civil War ( I actually enjoyed it)...then Marvel started leaving a sour taste in my mouth and I almost left comics again forever. Then the DCNu 52 came and I'm back on board at the start of a new golden age. :)

Like a lot of other readers I like books from every era 1938-present day but my favorite years are 1965-1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    1977-1984

My personal "Golden Age."
    Without actually looking up dates, I'd guess that mine is about the same.

1973-1984

My years when I was truly buying any comic I could get my hands on. And this is before things started to get too dark in comics, IMO.

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    1973-1984
    That's the same era for me, too. I received my first superhero comics in the spring of '73 during a brief hospital stay, while my heaviest comic book reading ended right before CoIE.

Was it the greatest ever? I have no doubt nostalgia plays a key part in my feelings for that time, but my feelings are what they are. The mid-'70s era was particularly magical for me due to the then newness of my hobby and the ability to go out and buy comics at the local convenience store or the new comic book stores popping up back then.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

1895 - 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    1973-1984
    Yeah, I'll "third" that. 1973: Kirby's The Demon, Wein Hulk, DC Tarzans, late Smith Conans, early Marvel Team-Up, Conway Amazing Spider-Man, the Defenders, Detective 100-pagers begin, Man-Thing in Fear, Kaluta on The Shadow, Master of Kung-Fu in Special Marvel Edition, Evanier/Spiegle on Scooby-Doo Mystery Comics, Ripley's Believe It or Not!, Ditko on Many Ghosts of Dr. Graves, and Super Goof! This really is a year where my collection becomes significantly less spotty.

1984: DeMatteis finishes on Captain America, Byrne leaves Fantastic Four, Tony Stark gives up the armor, Legion of Super-Heroes halts its original run, Sienkiewicz ushers in symbolic art on New Mutants, Alan Moore provides significantly much more adult horror on Swamp Thing, Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars starts the era of the mega-crossover-event, Paul Smith leaves Uncanny X-Men, and Batman had just last year (1983) left the Justice League (thus rupturing his friendship with Superman).

Good borders, Ziggy!

I'll go with 1970-1975 as the peak for me, although I'm tempted to say 1963-1980 because those are the comics I look for in the back issue boxes.
    Last edited by Rob Allen; 05-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.
    --
    Rob Allen

Veteran Member

I couldn't pin it down, even for just American comics. There have been great comics from every era, the source just moves around. Certainly Marvel's best years were from the mid 60s to the late 70s. After that you had Alan Moore's one-man-show and the rise of the independents. I don't know the world scene well enough to distinguish the different eras for, say, French BD or Japanese manga.

Oh, and in 1984, Jean Grey was still dead.