Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Looking at this thread's comments, I found myself conforming to the "classic side" of my buying, but I find that I am a 90's child. I read AoA more often than I do anything else. I like the tail end of the first GotG series. The ten issues of Blackwulf, are gold. Force Works showed me the real Spider-Woman (and a hottie at that). Batman LOTDK was one of my favorite purchases to make. Then there is the 2099 Universe. And god forbid yes, I actually enjoyed Liefield's Spiderman. Cable draw by Ian Churchill, WildC.A.T.S., Lady Death, DH's Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Matt Wagner's Mage. I probably have more chroninum covers than most posters here I bet. Plus it was the age of comic cards, which incidentally was what got me into comics. Seeing the Hildebrant Bros art in the 1994 Marvel Masterpieces cards are wowed me enough to want to explore these characters that they drew. The fact that Image is the successful publisher despite all the negative things that did happen in the 90's shows that good story telling is what makes success.

Ask someone about what happen in 2001 you're likely to hear 9/11 as if that is the only thing that happened that year. Ask someone about the 90's in comics and all the can come up with is bitching about Rob Liefield.

Don't get me wrong, I am agree with Reptisaurus, I like all eras of comics, they all have their strengths, but I think a lot of what each individual likes falls heavily upon the era that one was first immersed in the genre.
    Last edited by adam_warlock_2099; 04-22-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

I guess we all look at our favorite eras through our "young eyes". I remember loving the Kree -Skrull War. I have memories of being in Puerto Rico drawing Quicksilvers Blue costume with magic markers ay age 10.
    Life is what you make it.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I'll admit I like a lot of contemporary Batman...whereas classic Batman was fighting giant fish, aliens and other monsters...and had a nuisance called Bat-Mite.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

1961 to 1969. Skip most of the 70s... 1980-1985.
    Life looks better in black and white.

I'm a student of comics and truly love every era, including Platinum Era pre-superhero.

80's Marvel was their best period IMO.

Post-Crisis DC, as things got rebooted, were my favorite.

Valiant in the 90's set me on fire.

I'd say overall though, roughly, from about 2000 on, is my favorite overall era. More publishers, a great variety of material, more books and zines and reprints than ever, all make this the best time IMO.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    1977-1984

My personal "Golden Age."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    If I had to choose one period I'd have to choose this one as well. It has a lot going for it:
    1. A strong since of history.
    2. Creators that understood and genuinely liked the characters.
    3. "Modernity" and a bit more sophistication, without throwing out all the fun parts.
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    1977-1984

My personal "Golden Age."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    This is fairly close to my own personal Golden Age, from the time I discovered 2000 AD and bought my first new Marvels, through going nuts when I first started working and could afford everything I wanted, through to the middle 80's period when Moore and Miller expanded our expectations so spectacularly.

BUT ... I'm not so blind that I dont realise that the period was also full of average to severely shit crap that had dominated the market for years (actually this is probably common to all periods).
    kalorama :Take your reason and logic and begone! We don't cotton to your like 'round here!

Dead in a comic does not mean dead. No matter what THEY say.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    My favorite periods are:

1968-1974 for all the great design work and the slew of cool new characters from both DC and Marvel. Just a ton of new ideas and great stuff like the Kree-Skrull War, the Fourth World, GL/GA relevancy, the return of the serious Batman, the death of Gwen Stacy; the first appearances of characters like Ghost Rider, Jonah Hex, Punisher, Luke Cage, Conan, Thanos; and first issues of stuff like Conan, Defenders, etc. Just a great era.
    Wrightson, Adams, Thomas, Starlin, Englehart, Gerber, MacGregor (Panther and Killraven), Byrne, Claremont, Wein, Kaluta, B.W.Smith, Buscema J&S, Cockrum, Brunner,Russell. A great age of experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post

80's Marvel was their best period IMO.
    Say what?

Four favorites time frames, in order of preference:

1. '72-'80: My favorite era at Marvel. New genres explored, like kung-fu, blaxploitation and even proto-cyberpunk (Deathlok). Lots of of new characters introduced. Then all of this stuff starts mixing together in the mainstream Marvel Universe. Also some great writers during this period, including Steve Englehart, Don McGregor, and Doug Moench. Some outstanding runs, like early new X-Men, Moench/Gulacy on Master of Kung-Fu, the Avengers-Defenders War, Englehart/Brunner on Doctor Strange, and Thomas/Smith on Conan.

2. '86-'90: My favorite era at DC. Before Crisis on Infinite Earths, the only DC comics that I bought regularly were Teen Titans and Swamp Thing. Post-Crisis, there was this great surge of creativity at DC, with so many talented people reveling in having all the DC characters in one big sandbox. The new Justice League title was fun, and Ostrander's writing on Suicide Squad more than made up for the so-so artwork. There was the definitive run on The Question. Byrne on Superman, Perez on Wonder Woman. And the early Vertigo stuff hit, before there was even a Vertigo line. Gaiman on Sandman. Morrison on Doom Patrol. Hellblazer, one of the most enduring comics introduced in the last 25 years. On top of that, several indie publishers were doing some great work, especially First Comics, Comico, and Eclipse.

3. '98-'02: I stopped buying comics for a few years in '90s. There seemed to be a lot of terrible artwork and bad writing going around, at Marvel, DC, and especially Image. Towards the end of the decade, a friend loaned me a stack of comics that won me back over. Busiek/Perez Avengers, Planetary, Promethea, Top Ten, JSA, and others. For a few years, I was enjoying both DC and Marvel again, before event overload started killing my enthusiasm for mainstream comics.

4. '10-'12: More than ten years ago, I noticed that the great local library started carrying comics, aside from the obligatory Watchmen trade. At first, it was just a stack of random mainstream superhero comics in garage sale condition. Two years ago, the library underwent a major renovation, causing everything to get moved around. I accidentally stumbled across the comic book section again, only to find that it was now much larger and consisted entirely of trade paperbacks and hardcovers. After working through a few that I was already interested in but didn't own, I started to branch out and read almost everything they had, over the last two years. So I finally got around to reading a bunch of Vertigo stuff that I wasn't sure about, like Fables and Scalped. And I got to try out some really odd stuff, like Honour Among Punks and Blacksad, plus newer stuff from BOOM! A few duds, but the majority of these volumes were good or even great. Considering that money was tight while I was saving up for my downpayment and closing costs on my first house, the timing of this library stuff was perfect. But now I'm at a point where I'm waiting for the library to catch up on multiple titles, but still feeling too cheap to buy my own.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

My favorite era when definitely when I first got into comics in '92-'93. I was all about Wizard magazine, chromium/holographic covers, and Fleer Ultra X-Men cards, lol. Ah the good ol' days.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackagarBoltagon View Post
    My favorite era when definitely when I first got into comics in '92-'93. I was all about Wizard magazine, chromium/holographic covers, and Fleer Ultra X-Men cards, lol. Ah the good ol' days.
    I like your posting name. It's one of the all-time silliest character names in all of comics.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Silliness is in the eye (& ear) of the beholder, of course. Black Bolt's real name has never bothered me, but "Horatio Hellpop" makes me wince.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Blackagar Boltagon just rolls off the tongue doesn't it? Who knew that Black Bolt could be short for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackagarBoltagon View Post
    Blackagar Boltagon just rolls off the tongue doesn't it? Who knew that Black Bolt could be short for something else.
    It's cool but a #itch to type...
    Life is what you make it.

Mid 60s DC Comics with Go-Go Checks.

Marvel and DC Comics from 1970 to 74.
    Rehab is for Quitters