Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I really disliked this issue. Like…wow. At one point Alfred actually calls Batman out for making huge presumptions and I suspect it’s a wink at the reader for how dumb it is. Also one of Commissioner Gordon’s cops somehow got the Mayor to “approve my request to have your mental and emotional stability evaluated.” Say what now? Really this is a done in one issue to tide over readers for the Court of Owls storyline kicking in next month.

I reviewed it more thoroughly at the link in my signature. Ugh.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Mad Hatter does appear, but no White Rabbit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Togo View Post
    Weird, as she is on the cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    What the heck was with that? With Harris writing this issue, did he just go his own route?
    When this issue was solicited (along with Finch's cover), it was supposed to be the first issue of Jenkins' and Finch's next story arc. Very soon after the solicitation came out, it was announced that Jenkins was off the book and that Hurwitz was taking over the writing with #10. I imagine that the story we got here is probably very different from what Jenkins and Finch had originally planned, which was supposed to further develop the character of the White Rabbit. Alas, I'm afraid that the White Rabbit sub-plot has been dropped, never to be seen again. (I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nayrman View Post
    it just kind of feels like filler in some respects.
    Oh, it absolutely is filler, in the correct sense of the word. (Lots of people incorrectly use the term "filler" as a pejorative to refer to anything they don't like.) Jenkins was abruptly off the book as of the end of the first arc (his decision or DC's, we never heard) and Hurwitz was scheduled as the new writer effective #10. That meant that DC had two issues they had to "fill in" with something else. #9 was a no brainer; make it an Owls tie-in. In the case of #8, they appear to have brought in a fill-in writer and artist to, eh, fill in. Someone (either the writer or, more likely, the editor) decided to keep it a Wonderland theme issue so they could still use the Finch cover that had already been produced.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Togo View Post
    Weird, as she is on the cover.
    No way man. Like she was…like, in his mind man!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    When this issue was solicited (along with Finch's cover), it was supposed to be the first issue of Jenkins' and Finch's next story arc. Very soon after the solicitation came out, it was announced that Jenkins was off the book and that Hurwitz was taking over the writing with #10. I imagine that the story we got here is probably very different from what Jenkins and Finch had originally planned, which was supposed to further develop the character of the White Rabbit. Alas, I'm afraid that the White Rabbit sub-plot has been dropped, never to be seen again. (I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but I'm not holding my breath.)

Oh, it absolutely is filler, in the correct sense of the word. (Lots of people incorrectly use the term "filler" as a pejorative to refer to anything they don't like.) Jenkins was abruptly off the book as of the end of the first arc (his decision or DC's, we never heard) and Hurwitz was scheduled as the new writer effective #10. That meant that DC had two issues they had to "fill in" with something else. #9 was a no brainer; make it an Owls tie-in. In the case of #8, they appear to have brought in a fill-in writer and artist to, eh, fill in. Someone (either the writer or, more likely, the editor) decided to keep it a Wonderland theme issue so they could still use the Finch cover that had already been produced.
    If this is the case then it totally sucks.

On Vacation

So the next chapter will be part of the Court of Owls. Why do we need another story about it. I know its all about crossovers but we still have not figured out any answers yet and probably never will.

Quote Originally Posted by C_W View Post
    If this is the case then it totally sucks.
    Well, that's just life. I have no idea what precipitated Jenkins leaving the book, but I am very much looking forward to Hurwitz coming on board. I imagine he had to make room for this in his schedule and have some lead time to get started. I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

And since the whole White Rabbit sub-plot was somebody else's idea, I can't blame him if he doesn't want to continue it. But I wish somebody else would pick it up, if that's the case. (Daniel's Detective Comics might be a good fit.) The White Rabbit bits were actually my favorite part of the opening arc.
    Jim Zimmerman

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    So the next chapter will be part of the Court of Owls. Why do we need another story about it.
    This will be a Red Robin solo issue, so that's plenty enough reason in my book.

I know its all about crossovers but we still have not figured out any answers yet and probably never will.
    Answers about what?
    Jim Zimmerman

On Vacation

This will be a Red Robin solo issue, so that's plenty enough reason in my book.

Answers about what?
    The white rabbit. After the court of owls arc will be finished will we just continue forward with a new story or revisit the White rabbit? and is so wouldn't you think the the white rabbit would have done something during the arc in court of owls? maybe they will add her in there or something.

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    The white rabbit. After the court of owls arc will be finished will we just continue forward with a new story or revisit the White rabbit? and is so wouldn't you think the the white rabbit would have done something during the arc in court of owls? maybe they will add her in there or something.
    As I indicated in the preceding posts, I don't think we'll see the White Rabbit anymore. Hurwitz's first arc is about Scarecrow and he's not said anything to indicate that he intends to continue the WR sub-plots.
    Jim Zimmerman

As I indicated in the preceding posts, I don't think we'll see the White Rabbit anymore. Hurwitz's first arc is about Scarecrow and he's not said anything to indicate that he intends to continue the WR sub-plots.
    Yeah, but like you said it'd be nice to see her show up in Detective Comics or something. I was kind of disappointed that she didn't show up in this issue, but that was probably my only gripe with it, as I really enjoyed this one and done story. I guess we'll never know how Jenkins would be on his own with this book, but this issue did seem to be somewhat taken from ideas he had for the next arc that never happened. With such a strong focus on Batman, Gordon and Forbes. Kinda surprised Jenkins wasn't listed as a co-plotter or something, but perhaps the story went too far away from what he intended to write.

When this issue was solicited (along with Finch's cover), it was supposed to be the first issue of Jenkins' and Finch's next story arc. Very soon after the solicitation came out, it was announced that Jenkins was off the book and that Hurwitz was taking over the writing with #10. I imagine that the story we got here is probably very different from what Jenkins and Finch had originally planned, which was supposed to further develop the character of the White Rabbit.
    Yeah, something happened here behind the scenes. Issue #8 was supposed to be Jenkins scripting on his own for the first time, then we gradually discovered Hurwitz was taking over and Winick was doing the Night of the Owls tie-in. Note how Joe Harris is only credited with 'Words' - was Jenkins originally credited with story, and his name was removed?

This was better than the first 7 issues, but that's still not saying much. The villains remain 2-dimensional and the subplot with Gordon is forced. Hopefully with Winick and Hurwitz on the way, the worst is behind us for this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Rabbit View Post
    I guess we'll never know how Jenkins would be on his own with this book, but this issue did seem to be somewhat taken from ideas he had for the next arc that never happened. With such a strong focus on Batman, Gordon and Forbes. Kinda surprised Jenkins wasn't listed as a co-plotter or something, but perhaps the story went too far away from what he intended to write.
    I doubt that the story had anything in common with what Jenkins was going to do, other than the use of Mad Hatter and the Tweedles. I did, however, appreciate the follow-up on the Forbes' sub-plot (which goes all the way back to the previous volume, I believe). And also to the events of the previous story arc as well as those currently being explored In Batgirl.

Harris actually produced a decent done-in-one story here and, as fill-in's go, it was a pretty good one. Does anybody know if this was Harris' first Batman story? (I suspect it may have been.)
    Jim Zimmerman

Post Deleted
    Last edited by Captain Rabbit; 04-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Well, that's just life. I have no idea what precipitated Jenkins leaving the book, but I am very much looking forward to Hurwitz coming on board. I imagine he had to make room for this in his schedule and have some lead time to get started. I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

And since the whole White Rabbit sub-plot was somebody else's idea, I can't blame him if he doesn't want to continue it. But I wish somebody else would pick it up, if that's the case. (Daniel's Detective Comics might be a good fit.) The White Rabbit bits were actually my favorite part of the opening arc.
    I agree that's life, I actually liked the white rabbit sub-plot. It was probably the most interesting thing of the book. I have nothing against Hurwitz, I didn't read Penguin Pain and Prejudice but I know it got great reviews. So I'm excited about the Scarecrow arc coming up.

As I indicated in the preceding posts, I don't think we'll see the White Rabbit anymore.
    We may not see her soon, but she is intellectual property now and must be protected as such. She is guaranteed to return.