View Poll Results: Do you?

Voters
205. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

142 69.27%
  • No

63 30.73%
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Well, after an extra 100 posts the fascinating thing is we have no difference in percentages. It does make me wonder where the votes are coming from. But if we accept that all of these are valid and none as fake accounts or ring-ins, the trend seems to be just under 70% approval.

That seems pretty good.

What intrigues me is presumably most of the 31% are long term fans [though I could be wrong - they may have only ever bought the first two issues of Azz' WW and decided they didnt want to continue]. If you go by that idea then there are about 25K folks who seem to buy the book consistently, so that would mean you would be losing about 8000 of that fanbase. Considering the book is still in the 50K region that seems not so bad.

On the other hand, if that 31% were of the fans who bought the book for issue 7, that number doubles. Potentially 15K readers would be leaving in the next few months. That would be a big hit, though I dont expect to see it.

One thing is curious - based on the huge numbers of people reading right now I would have expected the approval rating to be higher. There are a lot of new folks on the boards along with long term posters.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what happened to fish living at that depth if it were brought to the surface.
    Actually, we do know; they die within minutes. Deep sea life forms are adapted specifically to require the dense water that surrounds them; remove it and their cells start to explode. Because they, like us, are more than 75% water to begin with, in their natural habitat the pressure is roughly equal inside and out.

What would be remarkable about Aquaman is the ability to move between a deep sea environment and a land environment.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Actually, we do know; they die within minutes. Deep sea life forms are adapted specifically to require the dense water that surrounds them; remove it and their cells start to explode. Because they, like us, are more than 75% water to begin with, in their natural habitat the pressure is roughly equal inside and out.

What would be remarkable about Aquaman is the ability to move between a deep sea environment and a land environment.
    I was thinking the same thing. Rather than keeping the pressure of the ocean out, it would seem more likely that on the surface his skin is keeping his own body fluids contained against the vastly reduced surrounding air pressure.

Which means if you did mange to cut him even slightly he would bleed out in seconds.

On the other hand,in a pi$$ing contest nobody is going to beat Arthur, assuming he can stop once he starts.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I'm not so sure.

The ocean pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench is rated at over 15000 psi. The impact of the .38 bullet seems to average at around 3000 psi. Logically this seems to mean if Arthur's skin can withstand that kind of pressure he should indeed be bullet proof.

However, expeditions to the bottom of the Mariana Trench have discovered animal life - for example flounder up to 30cm in length. They have also discovered single celled animals up to 4 inces in diamater. Now presumably these animals do not have surface densities so great as to to be bullet proof. Rather, the fish equalizes the pressure inside and out.
    That wouldn't apply to someone who has a human physique. Not to mention, you're overthinking it.

I am not sure if judgements regarding sales can be made from a sample of 171 opinions. I believe that is around .003% of people buying the comic.
    Nanny: The True Phoenix Egg

Quote Originally Posted by MuhollandDriver View Post
    I am not sure if judgements regarding sales can be made from a sample of 171 opinions. I believe that is around .003% of people buying the comic.
    In general, the people still buying the comic are the ones that most likely enjoying it. Sure, there are some that will buy the comic whether they like the direction or not because they have always bought it.

A more truer poll might be that of people who bought the first issue and then responded to the poll.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    In general, the people still buying the comic are the ones that most likely enjoying it. Sure, there are some that will buy the comic whether they like the direction or not because they have always bought it.

A more truer poll might be that of people who bought the first issue and then responded to the poll.
    There probably were people who responded who are not currently buying the comic, right? I don't think there was anything to prevent them from responding, if they are checking in on the board or if someone sent them a link
    Last edited by slvn; 04-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    If Arthur's skin can withstand deep underwater pressure, bullets shouldn't be a problem, logically.
    iirc Arthur's skin isn't bullet proof. When he gets shot in Aquaman 1 he's shown bleeding afterwards, his skull is apparantly bullet proof though.

Quote Originally Posted by MuhollandDriver View Post
    It's a sampling. When folks do surveys before an election, they dont ask opinions from everyone who can vote. But the significant thing is there has not been any wild variations from 80 votes to 170 votes.

Right. Protecting Zola, whom Zeus knocked up and abandoned - another child of a serial dead-beat, abandoning father, who's being marauded by his vengeful wife, the unborn child's step-mother. Just like Diana. That's what the whole book is about. I wish it was about Wonder Woman again. I wish it bore some resemblance to Wonder Woman. The one up-shot is that he had the decency to rid us of his horrible, ghetto-thug Amazons, almost as quickly as he introduced them.

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    He is bulletproof as shown in Aquaman #1 and #8. He also broke a massive boulder from an underwater mountain with his bare hands.

Maybe he isnt at Superman's level but i'd say he's right up there among the powerhouses of the JL.
    I agree Aquaman's been shortchanged in the past, but he's not bulletproof, just has a tough hyde and chainmail. As for lifting a mountain, it puts him above Batman and Black Canary and about on par with Cyborg, but in a group with Superman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman and Flash, being one of the powerhouses ain't that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    iirc Arthur's skin isn't bullet proof. When he gets shot in Aquaman 1 he's shown bleeding afterwards, his skull is apparantly bullet proof though.
    I'd say bullet resistant.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reginleif View Post
    This is a simple yes or no question, feel free to discuss the results. I am surprised though this wuestion has not been asked before in poll form.
    Apparently, I am in the minority here, but no I do not. I hate the new daughter of Zeus origin, the psychotic, man-hating Amazons, and the fact that the Olympian Gods are now pretty much part of the regular cast. All the charm, humor, magic, and dare I say, wonder has gone out of the book. Wake me up when Azzarello's gone and it's revealed that this entire nightmare storyarc was just a massive mind-screw created by Eris/Discord (why do they keep calling her "Strife?").
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Maxima, Mary Marvel, Donna Troy, Wonder Girl, a couple more Supergirls, Fiora, Ursa, pocket universe Ursa, Bizarro Supergirl, the woman from Busieks 3rd Kryptonian arc...
    Really? Don't know Maxima/Ursa/FioraBizarroSG but I've always read Supes and maybe Capt Marvel are the strongest. Everybody else is second tier. Donna Troy never seemed to be shown as powerful as Superman. Maybe it happened in the last arc of JL where she was front and center... I just somehow doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    I think Dr, Hurt's pointing out that deflecting an arrow with her bracelets--or putting her bracelet in front of a bullet, even though it passes through--shows superhuman reaction time. She moves her arms at superspeed. (In JL, she's actually able to react fast enough to block a beam moving at (at least) light speed.)

Whether she can actually move herself from point A to point B at superspeed is a different question--but I think there's subtle evidence that she can. If you look at issue 3, she crosses a field to punch out Aleka in less time than it takes Aleka to finish uttering a word. That's humanly impossible. Similarly, in issue 5, she suddenly appears when Strife threatens Zola. She was at the other end of the bar a moment earlier, so she had to cross that distance in the blink of an eye. A normal human being couldn't do that. (In JL she's fast enough to follow the parademons from city to city and to charge Darkseid, whereas Aquaman needs Flash's considerable help to charge Darkseid.)
    Thanks Slvn. I never got a chance to reply to your other long thought out answer in the other thread but no, i don't think you are a zealot. I'll have to reply to that thread later.

I needed your explanation because I wasn't buying Dr. Hurts. All due respect, WW has NEVER been shown to be like Flash in this arc. To me, Flash (all incarnations) = Super Speed. The only time I've seen really other super heroes other than Superman and Flash shown to be super fast was when Johns wrote that JSA/Legion/JL crossover. And he wrote GL/Powergirl/Superman and Flash I think maybe one other. (NOT Wonder Woman btw). I'll have to check out your explanation and those issues.

Ok. I just checked those issues, 3 and 4. And I didn't see it that way. More like it was just another scene. Usually, the artist indicates super speed by blurred lines, etc. If you see it that way, cool. I don't.
    Last edited by garion; 04-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix View Post
    Apparently, I am in the minority here, but no I do not. I hate the new daughter of Zeus origin, the psychotic, man-hating Amazons, and the fact that the Olympian Gods are now pretty much part of the regular cast. All the charm, humor, magic, and dare I say, wonder has gone out of the book. Wake me up when Azzarello's gone and it's revealed that this entire nightmare storyarc was just a massive mind-screw created by Eris/Discord (why do they keep calling her "Strife?").
    If its any consolation, it a significant minority in terms of numbers.