View Poll Results: Do you?

Voters
205. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

142 69.27%
  • No

63 30.73%
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Have you been reading any Superman books of the new 52? Because i have and i dont remember any huge displays of power. And yet people still think he's Superman strong and powerful.

But for WW it's nag-nag-nag-whine "she's not powerful you guys!"
    Did she do any huge feats of strength in the Circle? Were you guys whining back then? I bet not.
    Said it before, didn't read Supes DCnU. But if he's been depowered as well, then I want her to be more powerful than Supes then. And I'm speaking of Azzarello's writing of WW not John's. Altho in John's JL I don't see her doing too much there either but at least we did see her fly and lift an airplane recently. Of course that was right after GL was bubble-flying her, so there's still some inconsistency. From what I recall, Bryne was one of the few creators who really showed how powerful WW was.

Actually, WW seems like a less strong Valkyrie (Marvel) now. Except Valkyrie (from several years back, I don't know her power levels now) had that cool flying horse and great costume with the cones and braids.

Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    Others, like me, want Wonder Woman to be strong, powerful--TO FLY--and also a good story. After all she is supposed to be a super hero (well, at least in Justice League, not so much in her own book yet) and superheros for the most part have superpowers and many are defined by the powers they have. Many of us have yet to see any great feats of strength or skill in her own book, let alone her power TO FLY. Sure, in Justice League it appears she flys, but why hasn't Azz shown this ability once in the 8 issues we have so far?
    This. Also, no super speed... that Arrow got past her and penetrated a god (which I still find a little weird... actually I find all the gods powers or lack there of weird. There is no basis of what they can do or can't do. It's all a little too convenient sometimes, oh, they can't do this but they can do something else which seems 10x harder than that).

I get that a lot of you like her as she's portrayed and how Azz is writing her. I liked her old origin, where it was Shazam like and where she was way powerful. I'll admit that I had problems with other writers and how they portrayed her. She and Donna were way more powerful than they had been written lots of times.

Also, if you think of the whole DC universe, what other woman other than Supergirl/Powergirl is powerful like Supes (pre-DCnU)? WW finally started to be portrayed on the same level (look at the JLI animation to see how tough she is) and then BOOM she's in this book and doesn't seem anywhere near powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ontir View Post
    and now everything she does in relation to her absentee/dead-beat father,
    Where are you getting this from?
    not to mention her vengeful step-mother
    She's merely protecting Zola and this has nothing to do with Hera being a step mother. Didnt she protect that girl in the same way in Hiketeia?

Quote Originally Posted by garion View Post
    This. Also, no super speed... that Arrow got past her and penetrated a god
    Are you referring to Hermes? She wasnt even there when he got shot, she was in London. She deflected an arrow in the same issue and a bullet in #8 (well she tried to but it went through her bracelets). So she does have super speed.

Please check your facts again.

Are you referring to Hermes? She wasnt even there when he got shot, she was in London. She deflected an arrow in the same issue and a bullet in #8 (well she tried to but it went through her bracelets). So she does have super speed.

Please check your facts again.
    You're correct... issue 1, it was Hermes and his LACK of super-speed that I found weird. I guess his new powers are just teleportation and not flight or super-speed.

I don't see where you prove she HAS super-speed. Please show me the facts. I've not seen any of that. Rarely do writers use WW's super-speed powers (in any of the incarnations of WW).

You're correct... issue 1, it was Hermes and his LACK of super-speed that I found weird. I guess his new powers are just teleportation and not flight or super-speed.

I don't see where you prove she HAS super-speed. Please show me the facts. I've not seen any of that. Rarely do writers use WW's super-speed powers (in any of the incarnations of WW).
    She blocked an arrow in #1 (the one intended for Zola) and a bullet in #8.

He's barely under Superman in durability and strength
    Arthur's tough, but this is a bit much. He can lift a car, or fight a polar bear...he's tough enough that small arms fire doesn't usually bring him down, but he's not bulletproof. I see him as about Spider-Man level, though you may be right when you say that may increase somewhat underwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Diana leaps in and takes out an eye...

And then Aquaman leaps in and takes out another eye.

In general, the two are just being shown (imo) as pair of matching bookends - archaic weapon wielding super strong warriors.

As I said, it's more of an impression than anything else <shrug>
    I rreeeaallly hope they were supposed to be magic weapons. I hate the idea of Darkseid being low powered enough to stab.

Also, if you think of the whole DC universe, what other woman other than Supergirl/Powergirl is powerful like Supes (pre-DCnU)?
    Maxima, Mary Marvel, Donna Troy, Wonder Girl, a couple more Supergirls, Fiora, Ursa, pocket universe Ursa, Bizarro Supergirl, the woman from Busieks 3rd Kryptonian arc...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Veteran Member

I think Dr, Hurt's pointing out that deflecting an arrow with her bracelets--or putting her bracelet in front of a bullet, even though it passes through--shows superhuman reaction time. She moves her arms at superspeed. (In JL, she's actually able to react fast enough to block a beam moving at (at least) light speed.)

Whether she can actually move herself from point A to point B at superspeed is a different question--but I think there's subtle evidence that she can. If you look at issue 3, she crosses a field to punch out Aleka in less time than it takes Aleka to finish uttering a word. That's humanly impossible. Similarly, in issue 5, she suddenly appears when Strife threatens Zola. She was at the other end of the bar a moment earlier, so she had to cross that distance in the blink of an eye. A normal human being couldn't do that. (In JL she's fast enough to follow the parademons from city to city and to charge Darkseid, whereas Aquaman needs Flash's considerable help to charge Darkseid.)

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    (In JL, she's actually able to react fast enough to block a beam moving at (at least) light speed.)
    See this is silly, if it's moving at light speed it hits her the same time her eyes receive the information it's coming.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    See this is silly, if it's moving at light speed it hits her the same time her eyes receive the information it's coming.
    Actually it would hit before that, unless it actually hit her IN the eye.

But the Omega effect does not travel at light speed. Not all energy travels that fast. Electricity for example is much slower. And since we see the beams taking time to catch up with Superman and the Flash is a pretty safe bet they are moving at less than 186 0000 miles per second.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Arthur's tough, but this is a bit much. He can lift a car, or fight a polar bear...he's tough enough that small arms fire doesn't usually bring him down, but he's not bulletproof. I see him as about Spider-Man level, though you may be right when you say that may increase somewhat underwater.
    He is bulletproof as shown in Aquaman #1 and #8. He also broke a massive boulder from an underwater mountain with his bare hands.

Maybe he isnt at Superman's level but i'd say he's right up there among the powerhouses of the JL.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Actually it would hit before that, unless it actually hit her IN the eye.

But the Omega effect does not travel at light speed. Not all energy travels that fast. Electricity for example is much slower. And since we see the beams taking time to catch up with Superman and the Flash is a pretty safe bet they are moving at less than 186 0000 miles per second.
    Fair enough; I stand corrected about the speed of the beam. But I didn't meant that she had to move her arm faster than the beam; I assume she anticipates where the beam is going to go and gives herself a "head start." She still has to react a lot faster than is humanly possible.

BANNED

He is bulletproof as shown in Aquaman #1 and #8. He also broke a massive boulder from an underwater mountain with his bare hands.

Maybe he isnt at Superman's level but i'd say he's right up there among the powerhouses of the JL.
    If Arthur's skin can withstand deep underwater pressure, bullets shouldn't be a problem, logically.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    If Arthur's skin can withstand deep underwater pressure, bullets shouldn't be a problem, logically.
    I'm not so sure.

The ocean pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench is rated at over 15000 psi. The impact of the .38 bullet seems to average at around 3000 psi. Logically this seems to mean if Arthur's skin can withstand that kind of pressure he should indeed be bullet proof.

However, expeditions to the bottom of the Mariana Trench have discovered animal life - for example flounder up to 30cm in length. They have also discovered single celled animals up to 4 inces in diamater. Now presumably these animals do not have surface densities so great as to to be bullet proof. Rather, the fish equalizes the pressure inside and out.

It would be interesting to see what happened to fish living at that depth if it were brought to the surface. But the point is as Arthur dives and takes water into his lungs he must be equalizing pressure the same as the fish. How his heart keeps pumping is a bit harder to work out.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Good point Brettc. Perhaps it a combination of density and equalizing the pressure. In any case, they shot him right in the face in Aquaman #1 and all it did was annoy him. So either way, i'd say he's bulletproof.