View Poll Results: Do you?

Voters
205. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes

    142 69.27%
  • No

    63 30.73%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 309
  1. #196
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm sorry, but regardless of whether or not you like Azzarello's current run, she's not selling 'consistently' at all. There has been about a 50% drop since issue one. This is to be expected of any new title, though, but it's definitely too early to declare sales as being 'consistent.' Azzarello's numbers may well level out at a high level, but they haven't done so yet.
    Seeing as the book is currently only losing readers in the small thousands level, I would still say it's levelling off. When I say consistent, I'm also talking about the ranking, which held its place and only fell because of a Marvel event launch.

  2. #197
    Gratin dauphinois psyshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    547

    Default

    I had to reply no. I stopped buying this comics with issue 6; one part of the reason was because of the change brought to the wondiverse, but it wasn't the only factor in my decision: the main thing is I HATE Azzarello's style on this comics. I find the dialogues atrocious, and a lot of things he wrote are not making sense to me when added together, and that's was really bothering me. For instance:

    1. Lennox: why should I care about this guy? what has the character done to earn Diana's trust? Nothing; yet she follow his plan 5 mn after he introduced himself.
    2. The Magic pool: it is supposed to see everything but somehow it didn't show Hippolyta's affair or the the main characters discussing their plans; you would thing that Hera would have been watching it non-stop to know her enemies' move.
    3. The lie about the clay birth was totally overdone; it was confirmed with the revelation in issue 7: why invent a story so strange if the Amazons are willing to have sex with men?
    4. Etc.


    Yes, I know, we haven't seen the complete tale, but to me these questions were throwing me out of the story and killing my interest.

    Cliff Chiang's art is great though.

  3. #198
    Senior Member wagthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Seeing as the book is currently only losing readers in the small thousands level, I would still say it's levelling off. When I say consistent, I'm also talking about the ranking, which held its place and only fell because of a Marvel event launch.
    If the title is still losing thousands, even if it is in the 'small thousands', it still means it hasn't leveled off yet. When we can say that it has lost in the low hundreds for 2-3 months, then we can say the title has leveled off.

  4. #199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyshot View Post
    I had to reply no. I stopped buying this comics with issue 6; one part of the reason was because of the change brought to the wondiverse, but it wasn't the only factor in my decision: the main thing is I HATE Azzarello's style on this comics. I find the dialogues atrocious, and a lot of things he wrote are not making sense to me when added together, and that's was really bothering me. For instance:

    1. Lennox: why should I care about this guy? what has the character done to earn Diana's trust? Nothing; yet she follow his plan 5 mn after he introduced himself.
    2. The Magic pool: it is supposed to see everything but somehow it didn't show Hippolyta's affair or the the main characters discussing their plans; you would thing that Hera would have been watching it non-stop to know her enemies' move.
    3. The lie about the clay birth was totally overdone; it was confirmed with the revelation in issue 7: why invent a story so strange if the Amazons are willing to have sex with men?
    4. Etc.


    Yes, I know, we haven't seen the complete tale, but to me these questions were throwing me out of the story and killing my interest.

    Cliff Chiang's art is great though.


    Nice observations, Psychot. Like you, I have a hard time swallowing the story; guess we're not suppose to think or look behind the curtain?

    "What's that total stranger, you want me to lie and make a fake deal with Hades? Wonderful. What could possibly go wrong?" ;)
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

  5. #200
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    If the title is still losing thousands, even if it is in the 'small thousands', it still means it hasn't leveled off yet. When we can say that it has lost in the low hundreds for 2-3 months, then we can say the title has leveled off.
    I'm being relative; the sales will never perfectly stay stagnant. They'll always lose sales.

  6. #201
    Senior Member wagthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I'm being relative; the sales will never perfectly stay stagnant. They'll always lose sales.
    I realize that, but to say in the thousands versus hundreds is quite a difference. At the end of Simones run, it had stagnated and was losing people in the hundreds, or even less I believe.

    If we are talking in the thousands, that is a different story in my mind. When you are only selling comics based in the thousands (versus hundreds of thousands), losing thousands a month is still a big hit.

  7. #202
    They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I realize that, but to say in the thousands versus hundreds is quite a difference. At the end of Simones run, it had stagnated and was losing people in the hundreds, or even less I believe.

    If we are talking in the thousands, that is a different story in my mind. When you are only selling comics based in the thousands (versus hundreds of thousands), losing thousands a month is still a big hit.
    Ideally, you'd expect a brilliantly made and critically acclaimed run to actually be able to attract readers. It still could, if anyone ever were to recover the lost art of making every issue an entry point into the story and worth reading in its own right.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

  8. #203

    Default

    From #5-#7, it's lost 6,300 orders; that's over 10%. Still selling well in terms of units sold, especially for a femal led comic in this market, but dropping, nonetheless (which, as stated, is the norm for nearly all comics).

    But, selling well or not, does that really affect an individual's like and/or dislike for Azzarello's WW?
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

  9. #204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Ideally, you'd expect a brilliantly made and critically acclaimed run to actually be able to attract readers. It still could, if anyone ever were to recover the lost art of making every issue an entry point into the story and worth reading in its own right.
    Personally, I don't see 'entry point' as the biggest problem. For years now, DC and Marvel have pushed the audience to buy the "important" stories - the "Can't Miss" storylines that affect the universe (and nothing will ever be the same). Comics that stand too far off in their own little world tend to slide further down the sales charts. Just my opinion/observations - totally open to be proven wrong.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

  10. #205
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wagthedog View Post
    I realize that, but to say in the thousands versus hundreds is quite a difference. At the end of Simones run, it had stagnated and was losing people in the hundreds, or even less I believe.

    If we are talking in the thousands, that is a different story in my mind. When you are only selling comics based in the thousands (versus hundreds of thousands), losing thousands a month is still a big hit.
    I don't think it's a big hit at all, but I don't see how that can be argued objectively. Heinberg and to some extent JMS's relaunches both started high and quickly tumbled, so relatively I consider this to be consistent. I also think the ranks indicate consistency too.

  11. #206
    Senior Member wagthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I don't think it's a big hit at all, but I don't see how that can be argued objectively. Heinberg and to some extent JMS's relaunches both started high and quickly tumbled, so relatively I consider this to be consistent. I also think the ranks indicate consistency too.
    I am more or less arguing over semantics with you. You said the title is leveling off and that is where I differ from you. Losings thousands is still quite a dip.

  12. #207
    Infâme et fier de l'ętre Auguste Dupin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psyshot View Post
    I had to reply no. I stopped buying this comics with issue 6; one part of the reason was because of the change brought to the wondiverse, but it wasn't the only factor in my decision: the main thing is I HATE Azzarello's style on this comics. I find the dialogues atrocious, and a lot of things he wrote are not making sense to me when added together, and that's was really bothering me. For instance:

    1. Lennox: why should I care about this guy? what has the character done to earn Diana's trust? Nothing; yet she follow his plan 5 mn after he introduced himself.
    2. The Magic pool: it is supposed to see everything but somehow it didn't show Hippolyta's affair or the the main characters discussing their plans; you would thing that Hera would have been watching it non-stop to know her enemies' move.
    3. The lie about the clay birth was totally overdone; it was confirmed with the revelation in issue 7: why invent a story so strange if the Amazons are willing to have sex with men?
    4. Etc.


    Yes, I know, we haven't seen the complete tale, but to me these questions were throwing me out of the story and killing my interest.

    Cliff Chiang's art is great though.
    1: In all fairness, she isn't really trusting him, she says to Zola that she went to the London bridge to check if he wasn't bullshiting her, and the she was hoping he was. Basically, he said "Poseidon is going to attack at this point at 5, and Hades there at the same time.", and she goes to the Bridge as he told her because the consequences would be much worse if he said the truth and she didn't believe him than otherwise.
    2: For Hyppolita, it's simple: she has no reason to suspect the Amazon are doing anything that could do her wrong (and she can't just check every one), and I'm assume Zeus can hide from the Pool if he wants to. As for the group.....Okay I got nothing.
    3: Because Diana has superpowers you can't just explain by her being a sailor's daughter, and probably because she was born between two "raids".
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

  13. #208
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I'm being relative; the sales will never perfectly stay stagnant. They'll always lose sales.
    Isn't losing more than a thousand readers a month described as hemorrhaging. That's what Wonderfans were told once by somebody in the business.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  14. #209
    Junior Member tasslehoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Diana under represented in her own book. thats never happened before ever :) sorry. it sucks. normally we ww fans can always point to aquaman and say it could be worse but hey aquaman is rocking right now. lol

  15. #210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    1: In all fairness, she isn't really trusting him, she says to Zola that she went to the London bridge to check if he wasn't bullshiting her, and the she was hoping he was. Basically, he said "Poseidon is going to attack at this point at 5, and Hades there at the same time.", and she goes to the Bridge as he told her because the consequences would be much worse if he said the truth and she didn't believe him than otherwise.
    But don't you think it's a pretty big leap to go from checking to see if Poseidon does show up to trusting the stranger's plan in making false deals with Poseidon/Hades?

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    2: For Hyppolita, it's simple: she has no reason to suspect the Amazon are doing anything that could do her wrong (and she can't just check every one), and I'm assume Zeus can hide from the Pool if he wants to. As for the group.....Okay I got nothing.
    Like you, I don't doubt Zeus can hide from the pool, and I can buy Hera not checking the Amazon's every movement. But once Hera is on her warpath, how does Lennox tell Diana his plan without Hera knowing? Like you, I got nothing. Just feels forced, so far, without much explantion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    3: Because Diana has superpowers you can't just explain by her being a sailor's daughter, and probably because she was born between two "raids".
    Good point about being born between two raids - I suspect the Amazons would find that a little odd. But, wouldn't they have noticed a baby bump? The 'clay' origin didn't include a pregnancy.
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-24-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •