Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Baron and Rude Return to "Nexus" in "Dark Horse Presents"

Mike Baron and Steve Rude's classic hero Nexus returns in "Dark Horse Presents" #12, on sale in May. CBR spoke with the creators about the hero, his 30-year history, and the journey back to Dark Horse.

Full article here.

Really looking forward to this. Nexus is one of my all-time favorite characters, and new stories are always welcome. Not too keen on paying $8 to read this one strip though.

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    Really looking forward to this. Nexus is one of my all-time favorite characters, and new stories are always welcome. Not too keen on paying $8 to read this one strip though.
    Then hold off ! As Dark Horse has ALREADY said the first 3 story's make up an 42 paged one shot that WILL be collected after all 3 have been in DHP 11 to 13 ! ALSO Steve Rude has said in his email newsletter they have been asked to keep going after that with 8 paged new story's as Dark Horse have FINALLY going to put out paperback omnibus's of the the first series that was collected in the hardback Nexus Archives !!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Cat View Post
    Then hold off ! As Dark Horse has ALREADY said the first 3 story's make up an 42 paged one shot that WILL be collected after all 3 have been in DHP 11 to 13 ! ALSO Steve Rude has said in his email newsletter they have been asked to keep going after that with 8 paged new story's as Dark Horse have FINALLY going to put out paperback omnibus's of the the first series that was collected in the hardback Nexus Archives !!
    Wow, really? Did Rude say when the paperback omnibuses will start coming out? DH is finally collecting Matt Wagner's Grendel in their paperback omnibus format too. I just hope they finish collecting Alien Legion!

Hnh. Then maybe I will (although I want to support what they're doing).

Don't know whether to be annoyed by the omnibus idea or not, as I've collected the HC archives (which are among my favorite books). If I'd known they would do omnibi, I might have waited.

If they are indeed among your favorite books, I would say you made the right choice. If you have been buying them as they have come out, you have had the advantage of enjoying them for the last 5-6 years.

Dark Horse never said there was going to be paperbacks of Nexus and that they would only consider it after the Archives finished and if they thought the sales or audience was there. I bought the Archives and I think its great that the omnibuses are coming out because they will be in a more affordable format for shops to sell and a new audience to enjoy without paying collectible prices.

Plus, if the new DHP stories and paperbacks are reaffirming Nexus' home at DH, hopefully it will mean it will become available digitally for yet another audience. All of which leads to more income for Steve Rude and hopefully more Nexus for us.

Between this, the Valiant relaunch and the new Extreme Studios books, it's like I am reliving the 90s again...and I LOVE it!
    VALIANT, Saga, Chew, Manhattan Projects, Revival, East of West, Locke & Key, Hawkeye, Young Avengers.

Hnh. Then maybe I will (although I want to support what they're doing).

Don't know whether to be annoyed by the omnibus idea or not, as I've collected the HC archives (which are among my favorite books). If I'd known they would do omnibi, I might have waited.
    I also collected the hardback archives as I enjoyed seeing the new colouring to Steve's art, but feel having them in paperback (he didn't give any dates to when it will be out as he's only just been asked to do a new cover for it) cheaper will only help open up the series to new readers and HOPEFULLY make Dark Horse reprint the story's Steve and Mike did with them not yet collected !

Quote Originally Posted by BugsySig View Post
    Between this, the Valiant relaunch and the new Extreme Studios books, it's like I am reliving the 90s again...and I LOVE it!
    Me too :) just waiting to see what FIRST COMICS titles they relaunch with I know 2 are E- Man and Badger but hoping for more

Me too :) just waiting to see what FIRST COMICS titles they relaunch with I know 2 are E- Man and Badger but hoping for more
    Who will be publishing E-Man and Badger? I did a Google search and couldn't find any info about this. I will buy both titles as soon as they return. Baron's track record on Badger hasn't been great since First went under (particularly the dismal Image run) but the original run was so good I am always willing to support it.

I just reread the Nexus "Space Opera" storyline and the DHP story and they are really great comics. Though the interview makes it sound like the DHP story would be self-contained, it is continued. I think making Nexus a regular feature in DHP would work very well. It probably won't be able to carry it's own title in today's market, but this way we get regular installments of one of the best crafted comics of the past thirty years.
    Do the Dark Horse Archives include the mini-series and various short stories that ran in Dark Horse's anthologies in the mid-90s? I have all the original run of Nexus and the various spin-offs and would like the Archives if they brought everything together.

Fantastic. I still have all my Nexus comics from the 80s. One of the best indie series, ever. I loved the b&w version, and the color comic was able to maintain a good level of quality up to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Michael View Post
    Who will be publishing E-Man and Badger? I did a Google search and couldn't find any info about this. I will buy both titles as soon as they return. Baron's track record on Badger hasn't been great since First went under (particularly the dismal Image run) but the original run was so good I am always willing to support it.

I just reread the Nexus "Space Opera" storyline and the DHP story and they are really great comics. Though the interview makes it sound like the DHP story would be self-contained, it is continued. I think making Nexus a regular feature in DHP would work very well. It probably won't be able to carry it's own title in today's market, but this way we get regular installments of one of the best crafted comics of the past thirty years.
    Do the Dark Horse Archives include the mini-series and various short stories that ran in Dark Horse's anthologies in the mid-90s? I have all the original run of Nexus and the various spin-offs and would like the Archives if they brought everything together.
    Your so right about Badger being very hit and miss after First Comics stopped ! But looking at Mike Baron's facebook page and seeing the new art for the new series coming from First Comic's I can only hope it will be a return to the good times ! As for the 90's storys that Dark Horse did, Steve Rude has also said in his new newsletter that along with reprinting the old nexus archives in paperback they will keep going in hardback too until the whole series has been collected !

Wait, what? They're bringing back the Badger too?

Awesome! Bought those "Complete Badger" volumes from a few years back and loved them. If there's a new series, I"m there.

Wait, what? They're bringing back the Badger too?

Awesome! Bought those "Complete Badger" volumes from a few years back and loved them. If there's a new series, I"m there.
    Just remember its coming from FIRST COMICS ! not DARK HORSE ! and I think the last thing I read about it they were looking to fill orders OUTSIDE of Previews so god knows how that will work !!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38206

is the link if you want to read up on it

Are they going to do the whole goddamn series this time? I've got three different tpbs of the first few issues, none of which was ever followed by a volume 2, to the best of my knowledge.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P