Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more. But I wouldn't say it was necessarily aimed at Teenage Boys and UFC fans. You just have different standards for your storytelling then we do. What you saw as forced and contrived, I found flowing and natural. As far as aping Hitler, if your gonna ape, ape the best. Hitler has been aped in one way or another in thousands of stories. And the point of the dialog is that you are exactly right, the heroes didn't have any philosophical differences. They were just used to being the only gun on the block, and were slow to trust others with the same powers. But once they realized that they needed each other, they were able to work together.

What you found annoying about Tony Stark, the majority of us find endearing and engaging. Yeah, he is a smartass. But that is because he is one smart man. Perhaps the most brilliant man on the planet, but he does it with a self deprecating sense of humor. He not only jabs at others, but himself as well.

Again, differing opinions. I am by no means trying to convince you that you are wrong (you aren't necessarily) or that I am righter than you (which I am not). Just stating my take on some of the same things. If we all liked the exact same things, every film that came out would cater to those elements, and therefore, none of them would be interesting or different.

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, indeed. I'm neither a teenager nor a UFC fan and I'm going to see it again tomorrow (third time). Helluva movie.

Oh well. Not everybody is going to like everything.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Gone

Every once in a while, when I´m doing completely random things like wash the dishes or change the printer cartriges, a line from the movie pops into my head.
    Just now:
    "- How does Nick Fury see these things?"
    "- He turns his head."

STILL priceless!

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    Every once in a while, when I´m doing completely random things like wash the dishes or change the printer cartriges, a line from the movie pops into my head.
    Just now:
    "- How does Nick Fury see these things?"
    "- He turns his head."

STILL priceless!
    "He's adopted."
    spoilers:
    "I'm always angry."
    end of spoilers
    "marijuana?"

Gems, all of them. And many more.

"You and I remember Budapest very differently."

"His first name is "Agent."

"I was having 12% of a moment."

"Dr. Banner, your work in [sciencespeek] is unparalleled. And I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green rage monster."
    "Thanks."

"You're missing the point! There's no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us but it's all on you."

"Mewling quim" (seriously, how did he get that one past the censors?)

"Well then son, you've got a condition."

"I don't see how that's a party."

'tink'
    doubletake
    'tink'
    "Eh, that usually works..."
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    "Mewling quim" (seriously, how did he get that one past the censors?)
    I'm tipping the vast majority of the Avengers audience has no idea what that word means.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I'm tipping the vast majority of the Avengers audience has no idea what that word means.
    The vast majority of the english speaking world has no idea what the word means.
    quim, not mewling.

BANNED

Did anyone miss Ed Norton? I'm not crying for blood over how he was fired, but I did watch Incredible Hulk (and the other movies) in anticipation of Avengers, and I don't know, I really wish he was in this one. Nothing against Ruffalo though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Did anyone miss Ed Norton? I'm not crying for blood over how he was fired, but I did watch Incredible Hulk (and the other movies) in anticipation of Avengers, and I don't know, I really wish he was in this one. Nothing against Ruffalo though.
    Ruffalo sort of played a different character from the way Norton was anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I ended up watching it last night. And suffice it to say, the film was what I initially thought that it would be. A glorified video game aimed at college/teenage boys and UFC fans. The story just seemed forced and contrived. I mean they couldn't find a better reason for the villain than aping Hitler? The dialogue didn't come across as natural, the heroes didn't appear to have any real philosophical differences than to just bicker. And the reason the heroes rallied was just lame and forced. I thought that Whedon was a better writer than this.

Robert Downey's Iron Man/Tony Stark just reminded me why I didn't like him (much) in IM1. I think that the writers aim was to make him nonchalant and more casual. But he just sounded like a smart ass fifteen year old boy who acts up to get attention. I just found it grating. It's fine in small quanties, but it's as if he never shut up!

That being said I did like the rest of the cast. Chris Evans was the best as Captain America. I hated the CA film. But I found that Evans really did well in this. Pure leading man magnetism.

I just found the film to be un-satisfactory. It seemed to pander to every cliche in the book. Cliches are fine, but only if they are used in a new way or given a fresh coat of paint. This one wasn't, it just ripped off every action script that came before it.

I would give it a C.
    There wasn't anything in that movie that was remotely related to MMA (UFC), so I'm not sure how you made that comparison. It was a comic movie, aimed at comic fans. And it delivered in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Comeuppance View Post
    There wasn't anything in that movie that was remotely related to MMA (UFC), so I'm not sure how you made that comparison.
    There was punching.
    The Punisher: I’m going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants™ Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and you’ll die screaming! And I’ll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    There was punching.
    So it was also like boxing and people at bars and in highschools?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    There was punching.
    Guess the movie is for couples with violence in their relationship as well, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I can't see Norton having the kind of chemistry with this cast that Ruffalo did, actually.

Norton was great in his movie, I just don't think he would have been right for this movie. And if he had been in the Avengers, it probably would have ended up being

THE INCREDIBLE HULK

featuring The Avengers