Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    But he was pretty passive throughout the whole thing. He wasn't a brilliant tactician, he wasn't the team's strategist for most of the movie. Near the end he gets to do stuff and the stuff he does doesn't really impress. Cap wasn't a team leader, he never managed to motivate the team himself, no big rousing speech, he was basically just a foot soldier only amplified, and it felt like a pointless addition next to Black Widow and Hawkeye.

Yes he had his moment, but it felt like it was too little too late to save his presence there. Which is weird, because he was an excellent point of view character at the stat of this movie and at the end of his own. Fish out of water, but it was hardly touched upon. I never got into his head, everybody else had an outspoken character, save for Captain America, heck I know more about Hawkeye as a normal person than I do about Rogers.

This was much more of an Iron Man/Thor movie, with the Hulk thrown in, and with the Black Widow as the human character to connect to as an audience, when it could have been Captain America as the point of view character to introduce the situation and others.

This movie and Thor's own movie have made me really interested in the Thor character and his corner of the Marvel Universe.
    To me it felt like he was definitely the leader. He was the one who stepped in to break up the fight between Iron Man and Thor. He drove the team onwards, determined how they would fight and gave the orders in the field.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    To me it felt like he was definitely the leader. He was the one who stepped in to break up the fight between Iron Man and Thor. He drove the team onwards, determined how they would fight and gave the orders in the field.
    I think it should be considered that in a film, a lot has to be condensed into a mere two hours or so. Hence, some things won't be conveyed as clearly as desired, especially in a film with so many characters. Given these challenges, the film did a wonderful job of portraying Captain America as a leader. I was satisfied.

I had no problem with how they handled Cap in the film. Naturally, he hadn't grown into the role of the leader yet; this was the first time these characters have faced a threat like this together, after all. I loved that moment when he started giving out orders to everyone. "Hulk. Smash."

BANNED

Thor, light the bastards up.

I really loved the scene in Germany. The way it was edited, with Cap looking at his new suit and Loki in the museum with the classical music playing. And the eye ball "extraction" where Loki was just looking around smiling at the panic he was causing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    I think Natasha called him Clint once, when they were speaking after the Helicarrier attack.
    She does so when she is explaining their history together and how he was sent to kill her but brought her her in and endorsed her instead. Also when they are deprogramming him using different stimuli and she is waiting in the room with him.

I watched this movies today and I am still giggling like a school girl. Its everything I wanted and more. I think ordinarily such a huge cast would not work so well but thats where Whedon shines, he made sure everyone got a proper look in.
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

1- Yup, he's called "The Hawk", Hawkeye, Clint, and Barton. He also had the most surprisingly complex story within the movie. Not the most complex, but the biggest surprise, considering I thought he was going to get the shaft. He certainly did not.
    2- American's do have a weird sense of patriotism, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. Cap was the embodiment of the good that can come from it. On screen I felt he was naturally the leader: not just the fact that he dished out orders, but the fact that no one questioned him when he did.
    3- The roles have not been defined yet. Even as the movie ends, things are only beginning to be established. I was worried that this would be the be all end all, but they leave room for so much more.

Avengers has made $178.4 million worldwide and it hasn't been released in america, japan and other countries yet!

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3431&p=.htm

Man i wish next weekend would hurry up and get here! The wait is killing me!

I think some people are mixing up Captain Americas sense of righteousness with being "American". Remember this is a guy who was just fighting a war for his country and suddenly is a very different time period where the whole world is different. The reason it stood out more was because he was contrasted against Stark, Thor and hulk, all very different characters to him. I really enjoyed how he was contrasted against them.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

You know, when you think about it, having Hawkeye as a bad guy through most of the movie, albeit mind controlled, is sort of faithful to the comics, since he started off as a villain before joining the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Yes he had his moment, but it felt like it was too little too late to save his presence there. Which is weird, because he was an excellent point of view character at the stat of this movie and at the end of his own. Fish out of water, but it was hardly touched upon.
    Apparently that's going to be addressed in the next Captain America movie.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

I'm just going to chime in about the role Captain America played in the movie. Cap didn't have the big, splashy moments like Iron Man or Thor, but he definitely had a presence. One of the reasons why I saw the movie a second time (gotta see this a second time to really appreciate it ) was because of Cap. On one level, I just wanted to see him flip, punch, kick, and throw his shield again. On a deeper level, however, I wanted to see his sense of quiet nobility again. You saw it when he was on the way to the helicarrier, and wondered if he was "the man for the job." You saw it when he expressed that he didin't care about Banner's past transgressions. You definitely saw it when he said that regardless of Stark's money, wealth, and intellect, he knew guys worth ten of Tony.

I also liked the dated aspect of Cap. How many people say "packs a wallop" anymore? Still, going further, Cap also reminded me of the American soldiers back in 1940s, guys from the greater NYC area, guys from my area, who were fighting at that time. Not all of them were saints, of course and yes American patriotism can get very, very ugly. However, Cap always represented the best of that time.

Yeah, those Cap moments were subtle, especially when compared to Iron Man or Black Widow. However, there was still enough there.
    "I am a man of peace."
    "A man of peace who fights like ten tigers."

Out of curiosity have any of our foreign members seen any dub versions. I'm an American and am only fluent in english (can get by in a few others) but read about the multiple dub versions in India and when posted earlier in this thread an interview with the Russian trailer and became curious. So how was it?

Saw the Film last Thursday ..... and Honestly it is in my opinion the best Comic based movie of all time and either number 1 or 2 in my list of favourite films (it's bumped scarface to third) . Without giving anything away as im assuming this is a spoilerfree thread ... Stay untill the end . I loved the dilaogue and was happily surprised in howmuch screentime Hawkeye and Black widow got. Every Character had their momement and i particularly liked what Cap said near the end re Hulk LOL . Its so hard to describe without spoilers to be honest but the film was great and better then i thought possible - i also prefferd Cap in his role here as oppose to his own movie but that's probably because i like Cap in a team more then solo generally . Anyways .... Go watch it . puny god lol .
    Tattoos Music Sports and Comics . Derrick Rose / Jack Wilshere are Sporting Legends . England/Asia/The Caribbean All day !!

The Vicious Cabaret RickThunderclees's Avatar

I don't get what all of the hype is about. Movie got terrible reviews!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1083461-avengers/
    "For relaxing times, make it Suntory time”

- Bob Harris