Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hugh45 View Post
    So far almost every review I've read says the same thing. I'm assuming the early part of movie spends a lot of time w/characterization?
    Yea it is mainly characterisation, and how all these different personalities interact with each other. Highlights are Tony and Steve at loggerheads. But what was really great was Ruffalo as Banner. He makes the role his own, and he has a great chemistry with Stark. Not to be too spoilery but it's Stark who helps him deal with "the other guy" in a way.

But it's still got some amazing action, it's not all saved up for the final act. Just wait until you see the Thor vs Hulk fight and the set piece it's part of. I'm from the UK and our cinema crowds are not usually that vocal. But they were screaming, shouting, cheering. It was a thing of beauty.

And there is a great, believable moment that makes all these guys sit up and realise that they have to sort themselves out.

For Shakespeare fans, Loki calls someone a "quim", which kinda shocked me. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Raiders is awesome, i never saw ET as a kid though, so when i tried to watch it, it bored me to tears.
    haha i can understand that. When i see ET now it's more of a nostalgia thing. But yea, Avengers, whilst probably not as good as Raiders, is in the same ballpark most definitely. It's like an old school style Spielberg esque blockbuster. Great characters, great dialogue, imaginative visuals and action. It's everything a person could want from a summer blockbuster i think. And hopefully, the silly notion that films like this need to be "dumb" is forgotten. (i'm looking at you Bay apologists). I never want to hear "What did you expect from an action movie? Good characterisation and coherent story?" again.

Really hope you guys enjoy it. I think you all will, as long as you keep open minds and have a semblance of a soul :D
    Last edited by Lord Bravery; 04-22-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanstine View Post
    Here's that review: http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/rev...s-the-avengers

It's okay. Nothing can stay perfect.

The Avengers will get a few more negative reviews after all is said and done.

But speaking of Amy Nicholson's review, it seems a bit questionable. She gave it a 3/5 (which is borderline fresh/rotten) but she doesn't even know the characters names (calls Nick Fury as Nick Frost) and apparently from reading what other folks found, she just hates Marvel films altogether:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marv...viewid=2074913
    For a 'bad' review, it seemed pretty good. Not having seen the movie, mind, I did find myself agreeing about Thor/Jane. Plus if you haven't seen the other movies first it might be more confusing.

Other than that the reviewer seemed to enjoy it well enough. More than well enough If the person is in fact not a Marvel fan then that's a bonus because aren't these films supposed to draw new fans?

BANNED

I think the thing with Thor/Jane is handled relatively well. It's not overlooked. And to be honest, Thor has more pressing matters at hand. Namely his brother who he thought dead trying to take over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Catman_3 View Post
    I saw the advanced preview last weekend.
    It was like seeing Star Wars for the first time all over again.
    Squee! In Whedon we trust.

Eh its only just another summer blockbuster film i might enjoy watching. I dont care about the reviews.

I dont have high expectations. Only be better than Iron Man 2, Captain America which were fun films but decent compared to earlier superhero films.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Default Ask a Guy Who Just Saw Avengers Anything!!!

Ask away...

I wont do a review cuz there are some anyway. This is just for those who got questions about the film... or anything at all. lol

I'm dressed to thrill! Murrocko's Avatar

Where would you rate among all the other marvel movies and just among all the other superhero movies (X-Men, Spider-Man, Hellboy, The Dark Knight, etc.)
    "My former associate has a thing for bats? You took up a pipe to quit smoking cigarettes? Wait, howzabout - holy mistaken identity!"

--Nightwing

Best Marvel movie. Closest is probably Iron Man 1(action and dialogue combined, and both done well). Cant really compare to Dark Knight(I know many will probably ask this), cuz Avengers is more of an action, fun super hero movie, while DK is grittier and realistic. I prefer Avengers but then again, Im more of a Marvel fan.

TOP 3 SUPERHERO MOVIE FOR ME:
    1. Avengers
    2. Hellboy 2
    3. Iron Man 1/Dark Knight

Gone

Whats the best part of the group dynamics and which two characters just click! ?

How good is the humour?

how awesome is the Black Widow?

how many times do they utter the "Avengers Assemble!" battle cry?

Is the final battle as earth shattering as Im hoping it to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    Whats the best part of the group dynamics and which two characters just click! ?

How good is the humour?

how awesome is the Black Widow?

how many times do they utter the "Avengers Assemble!" battle cry?

Is the final battle as earth shattering as Im hoping it to be?
    Best part is the banter actually. The ego which eventually leads to teamwork. As of clicking... Cap/IM.

Humor is great! More of Iron Man humor.

Black Widow is awesome here. More than what they did in IM2.

Sadly theres none. Or maybe I was too busy having nerdgasm I didnt see it.

Final battle is epic.

AND MAKE SURE TO STAY 2 MINS. DURING THE CREDITS!

How does the Hulk talk?
    Are there any cameos from other heroes?
    What's Stan Lee's cameo like?
    Does Black Widow ever have a Russian accent and is her origin ever spoken of?
    Does Hawkeye have the circus origin?
    Does anybody leave the team?
    Is one of the main characters (not an Avenger) really a chitauri shapeshifter?

Okay I'm done now.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Gone

Sweet.

Im worried about Ruffalo, how well does he hold his own against this cast?

Do we see any Widows bite blasts?

Is Hawkeye an arrows-only guy or more of a Bullseye type?

Do we get any "I want these $%$%& aliens out of thsi $%& planet?" line from Fury? ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    How does the Hulk talk?
    Are there any cameos from other heroes?
    What's Stan Lee's cameo like?
    Does Black Widow ever have a Russian accent and is her origin ever spoken of?
    Does Hawkeye have the circus origin?
    Does anybody leave the team?

Okay I'm done now.
    -Like in the comics.
    -No, unless they mentioned real names I didnt catch.
    -Short as usual.
    -No Russian accent; origin is lightly touched
    -Nope
    -I wont spoil that much for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    Sweet.

Im worried about Ruffalo, how well does he hold his own?

Do we see any Widows bite blasts?

Is Hawkeye an arrows-only guy or more of a Bullseye type?

Do we get any "I want these $%$%& aliens out of thsi $%& planet?" line from Fury? ^_^
    I love Ruffalo. He did well!
    Nope
    Arrows only
    More of a passive-agressive way... nothing like Snakes in a Plane though. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFanatic View Post
    -Like in the comics.
    Could you be more specific?
    Sometimes he speaks with average intelligence (like the Lee/Kirby stuff and AEMH), and sometimes he talks like a big dumb idiot (ex. "Hulk no like Ross. Ross mean to Hulk.")
    Last edited by KurtW95; 04-24-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!