Default WILD CHILDREN by Riley Rossmo & Ales Kot - out July 11

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I'm Ales Kot, the writer behind WILD CHILDREN, a 64-page graphic novella that's coming out via Image on July 11.

Riley Rossmo (Dark Wolverine, Cowboy Ninja Viking) significantly changed his art style for this comic. We have amazing colors by Gregory Wright (Batman: The Long Halloween, Elephantmen) and inventive lettering by Clayton Cowles (Kick-Ass, Superior, The Defenders). The announcement in USA Today earlier this week got us a decent amount of attention, but I want to fight for every one of you, so here it is reposted with a 4-page preview: http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...vel/54346844/1

I'm interested in new, exciting comics. I like reading them, I like making them. I want to give you something you haven't seen or read before. I'm at the start of a long journey that will hopefully evolve into a cool career, and I want every single one of you to join me.

I believe in my work. I hope you will, too.

Thank you for your time.

Here it is, then:

WILD CHILDREN (one-shot)
    story ALES KOT
    art RILEY ROSSMO
    JULY 11
    64 PAGES / FC / T+
    $9.99

Guns. Acid. Cameras. School.

The themes behind the controversial Hellblazer: “Shoot” by WARREN ELLIS and PHIL JIMENEZ merge with the attitude of the GRANT MORRISON and PHILIP BOND masterpiece of teenage revolt, Kill Your Boyfriend, delivering a story of magic, passion and disinformation.

WILD CHILDREN: A different type of education.

(And you know what? Here's an extra panel, CBR Forums exclusive. You won't find this one in the USA Today preview.)

Ales Kot

http://www.aleskot.com/

http://twitter.com/ales_kot
    Last edited by Ales Kot; 04-19-2012 at 08:24 PM.

This looks different, in a good way. I will definately check it out.

Also, your USA Today link is broken.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

First of all, how do you pronounce your name? Is it like ails?

2nd, this looks really freaking awesome. I feel you channeling Morrison and it is good.

3rd, I hope that in altering Riley's style you guys haven't gone too...sterile. One of the things I love about Riley's art is how dirty and primal it feels with all the ink splotches and lines everywhere. It's like he purges himself onto the page. These panels feel kind of like a neutered Riley. It's still good but not as hardcore ass-kicking as I usually expect.

4th, should there be a good reception is there a possibility for more or is this a story with a hard ending?

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Don't worry bout Riley's style, it definitely hasn't gone sterile in my opinion. Also, Debris is going to have the same style as this and it still has that great Riley touch to it.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Hmm, I don't know. I almost always buy everything that has Rileys name on it but I need to see more of this one before a hand 10 bucks over for a one shot.
    Check out this sweet comic coming in 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Throwb...889?ref=stream

Thanks!

The link is fixed now, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome! View Post
    First of all, how do you pronounce your name? Is it like ails?

2nd, this looks really freaking awesome. I feel you channeling Morrison and it is good.

3rd, I hope that in altering Riley's style you guys haven't gone too...sterile. One of the things I love about Riley's art is how dirty and primal it feels with all the ink splotches and lines everywhere. It's like he purges himself onto the page. These panels feel kind of like a neutered Riley. It's still good but not as hardcore ass-kicking as I usually expect.

4th, should there be a good reception is there a possibility for more or is this a story with a hard ending?

1) It's pronounced 'Alesh'.

2) Yeah, Morrison's influence is definitely there, but WILD CHILDREN goes further than that. You could say that WILD CHILDREN is a bastard child of Morrison, Ellis and Moore, but I grew up reading the writers that actually influenced M.E.M. before I discovered their comics, so I I'm going to be exploring many different directions as I progress. That said, Morrison & Ellis are mentioned in the USA TODAY article and we namedrop Moore in the comic. Owning up to my own influences is important - can't transcend them unless I fully figure them out first. If I had to put together a more complete list of influences on Wild Children, the list would be:

Writers:

Hakim Bey
    Douglas Rushkoff
    Warren Ellis
    Grant Morrison
    Alan Moore
    Peter Milligan
    Michel Foucault
    Aldous Huxley
    Deleuze, Pynchon, Baudrillard, Bataille...

Films:

Elephant
    We Need to Talk About Kevin
    Enter the Void
    Donnie Darko
    Pierrot le Fou
    various other works by people like Kubrick, Godard, Aronofsky, Fincher

Music:

Digital Mystikz (everything)
    MGMT ('Congratulations')
    Fuck Buttons (everything)
    Bjork (especially 'Homogenic')
    Blur (everything, especially 'Think Tank')
    Salem (King Night)
    Shackleton (everything)
    Coil (everything, especially 'Teenage Lightning 2005')
    Eminem (some of the older stuff, especially tracks like 'White America')
    Marilyn Manson (same, from 'Portrait of an American Family' to 'The Golden Age of Grotesque')

3) The first pages do their best to be sterile, because that's what makes sense for the story. However, once it gets going...sterile ain't the word. Some pages Riley turned in blew my head off. They're psychedelic, beautiful, weird and crazy. Some panels are done in completely different styles. On top of all that, Greg Wright's colors add extra layers. It's a different Riley than you're used to, that's for sure, but his work is still amazing. Art equals evolution.

4) Never say never, but I don't think we'll ever come back to it. Even if WILD CHILDREN sells 200,000 copies (heh), I won't come back unless it makes perfect sense as a decision that would be 100% motivated by my desire to tell a new story. However, I suspect Riley & I will make more comics together.

Quote Originally Posted by Otchofriend View Post
    Don't worry bout Riley's style, it definitely hasn't gone sterile in my opinion. Also, Debris is going to have the same style as this and it still has that great Riley touch to it.
    Thanks for this - i'm not sure if 'Debris' has exactly the same style, though. Similar, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahPLG View Post
    Hmm, I don't know. I almost always buy everything that has Rileys name on it but I need to see more of this one before a hand 10 bucks over for a one shot.
    I'll do my best to convince you that WILD CHILDREN is worth your money. There will be more previews, interviews, extra bits and pieces here and there...all I can say is follow the trail and I'll make this a trip worth remembering.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ales Kot View Post
    Fuck Buttons (everything)
    Coil (everything, especially 'Teenage Lightning 2005')
    Alright, saw Fuck Buttons live a while back ago (I think little after they released Tarot Sport) and man was my ears ringing for a whole week. There have been very few bands that have done that to me (Bloody Valentine, ASTRO, Boris, Sunn to name the rest).

I've been on The Ape of Naples and ...And The Ambulance Died In His Arms addiction as of lately.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 04-20-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I'll buy anything Riley does, so I'm in.
    Pull List Saga, Invincible, Walking Dead, Chew, Peter Panzerfaust, Superior Spidey, Animal Man, Aquaman, Harbinger, X-O Manowar

Quote Originally Posted by 400yrs View Post
    I'll buy anything Riley does, so I'm in.
    That's excellent news. Hope you'll enjoy it!