Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Oh no, the 'stache was there from the start.

In fact, at his birth, his mother suffered severe 'stache burn. She was in intensive care for some time.

Sinestro just giggled about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Compared to Hal, Sinestro really doesn't look that bad half the time
    Hal's a saint compared to Sinestro. Even overlooking the fact that he was possessed by a cosmic entity that is the embodiment of fear, Hal as Parallax acted because he wanted to change the course of events to save Coast City (and the 7 million people that died with it). Sinestro is just arrogant and in his past exploits, he's sought to establish dominance through fear as he feels that's the only way to rule. Don't get me wrong, that's why I love Sinestro as a villain, but he is a villain compared to Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Even if he wasn't, the name "Sinestro" doesn't do much to secure him the benefit of the doubt.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

lol don't judge their names. If I ever meet a devil looking woman name "Lucy Ferr", I would totally trust her with a GL ring. lol Just kiddin'!

Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar

Sinestro is the devil.
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.

Has anybody noticed that the Guardians are right-hand chauvinists? The only known Green Lanterns who aren't right-handed are Alan Scott, who was never a Corps member, G'Nort, who's only "sorta" one, Mogo, who has no hands...and Sinestro (whose name means "Lefty").
    Everything I state is JUST MY OPINION. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Senior Member FirestormTheNuclearMan's Avatar

I would say no but the problem is he thinks his way is the only way of creating order in the Universe, even if it does involve what can be messy.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8maven View Post
    Has anybody noticed that the Guardians are right-hand chauvinists? The only known Green Lanterns who aren't right-handed are Alan Scott, who was never a Corps member, G'Nort, who's only "sorta" one, Mogo, who has no hands...and Sinestro (whose name means "Lefty").
    Well, the only people I ever knew named "Lefty" are boxers, thugs and comic book artists...
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanofthegoblins View Post
    At the end of the Green Lantern film, the yellow ring turns him into an evil man. My question is, was he born evil in the comics? Did he used to be a good fella that turned evil or was he villainous from the start?

I'm confused, the older cartoons portray him as a saturday morning cartoon villain who was evil from the start, but the movie portrays him as a good man who is corrupted by the yellow ring.

Pretty much Sinestro was Darth Vader, before there ever was a Darth Vader.
    Once their greatest champion and hope ...given great power...

....fell to the power of the Darkside, with his weapon of light, even dissolves the high council.

George Lucas' copy:

Difference between Sinestro & Jordan... Sinestro/Vader is willing to kill to get what he wants. Hal/Luke can achieve his goal without succumbing to killing if he doesn't have to.

"Your stupid code prevents you from killing, or harming anyone if you can help it. I know that because I wore a uniform like yours myself one." -- I.E. I was once a Jedi like yourself...

"Before I learned better, Good is helpless, Evil alone can act!" --I.E. The power of the Force is useless against the power of the Darkside.

At least that was originally.
    Last edited by Guicho; 04-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Senior Member FirestormTheNuclearMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guicho View Post
    Pretty much Sinestro was Darth Vader, before there ever was a Darth Vader.
    Once their greatest champion and hope ...given great power...

....fell to the power of the Darkside, with his weapon of light, even dissolves the high council.

George Lucas' copy:

Difference between Sinestro & Jordan... Sinestro/Vader is willing to kill to get what he wants. Hal/Luke can achieve his goal without succumbing to killing if he doesn't have to.

"Your stupid code prevents you from killing, or harming anyone if you can help it. I know that because I wore a uniform like yours myself one." -- I.E. I was once a Jedi like yourself...

"Before I learned better, Good is helpless, Evil alone can act!" --I.E. The power of the Force is useless against the power of the Darkside.

At least that was originally.
    Thanks for that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiryu View Post
    Well, I'd say his parents might've had an idea he could be a bad apple based on his name
    Yeah: it's like naming your daughter Candy then being surprised she became a stripper.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Seriously, what character other than maybe Darkseid is "born evil?" Even the Joker was born "good."
    Well, psychopathy does have to do with genetics. People aren't born as blank slates, some are in fact born with a greater drive toward violent and anti-social behavior. The environment also plays a role, but it has limits as the effects of the same environment on one person will always be different than the effects on another, due to their different genetic history.

Well looking at his race on Korugar they don't look inherently evil. So it just seems to be the personality he developed in his life. Hell maybe his name wasn't even Sinestro when he was born. He could have changed his name after some life altering event that made him the way he is.

Sinestro is such a great villain and always has been. Johns did polish him up very nicely to introduce him to a new audience. The Vader parallel is great but he really represents any number of villains who wishes to impose his will for the perceived betterment of society.

I love how Sinestro works against Hal as a perfect foil. A cold logical villain with a perverse sense of order against a reckless cocksure hero who has a number of opposing flaws. The two also share a rebellious streak and the honour of being the greatest Green Lanterns as well as the corps greatest threats.

The issue with Sinestro is he is being a little overused lately. I personally think that he is to adept at stealing the spotlight from other characters and should be thus used a little more sparingly. GL has a great rogues gallery and they are all suffering due to the rainbow corps and Sinestro's prominence. Turning Sinestro into an anti-hero GL was a smart move but I doubt it will continue for long as his hamartia dictates that he must rule.

Quote Originally Posted by [Trigger] View Post
    Well looking at his race on Korugar they don't look inherently evil. So it just seems to be the personality he developed in his life. Hell maybe his name wasn't even Sinestro when he was born. He could have changed his name after some life altering event that made him the way he is.
    Dracula + Hitler + an Umpa Lumpa looks pretty evil to me...

(I know you didn't mean aesthetically but I couldn't help it he looks pretty evil)

BANNED

He wasn't born with that mustache.