Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Interesting is not an objective term. I don't find these Amazons interesting.
    Where did I say I was being objective? It was the intent of the writer, and it's why I find myself interested in a Wonder Woman book for the first time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I'm speaking for myself, and the sales show I'm not alone. This is the first time I've ever liked a Wonder Woman book.
    Well, you are clearly a criminal!

Where did I say I was being objective? It was the intent of the writer, and it's why I find myself interested in a Wonder Woman book for the first time.
    Is the "dirt" on the Amazons the only thing you find interesting? Would you still read this WW without the "dirt"? Do you insist all characters come from murderous societies before you find them interesting?
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

BANNED

Is the "dirt" on the Amazons the only thing you find interesting? Would you still read this WW without the "dirt"? Do you insist all characters come from murderous societies before you find them interesting?
    No, possibly, and no.

No, possibly, and no.
    So, "interesting" is a real possibility even without murderous Amazons. Glad to see you agree.
    - Longfellow

I don't think anyone who liked the old Amazons really have stated what was so interesting about them. Other than they were women and there were some minor flaws that may or may not exist from issue to issue for some added color. I guess I'm wondering what reason would Diana have been reluctant to leave because it seems in every version, she wanted off that island. Now it seems she didn't quite fit in and I guess before she was so bored that underneath her braclets are probably some cut marks.

BANNED

So, "interesting" is a real possibility even without murderous Amazons. Glad to see you agree.
    Never said otherwise. Doesn't mean I have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    I don't think anyone who liked the old Amazons really have stated what was so interesting about them...
    Speaking only for me: I find 'good' > 'dirt.' Call me crazy. Call me unrealistic. I like (super)heroes. I like the Jedi. I like stories of peaceful-minded Shaolin monks (and other kung fu/warrior types) that can kick your ### if they have to. I love the idea of a group of people that are striving to be better than us, and even accomplish it.

... I guess I'm wondering what reason would Diana have been reluctant to leave ...
    Reluctant to leave? She was in Paradise; wouldn't you be reluctant to leave paradise? Or am I not following you?

eta: With these Amazons, I'm wondering why she didn't leave sooner.
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-19-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    - Longfellow

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Largely because, in the current book and NuDC generally, we haven't a clue why she left, or whether Steve Trevor was in any way involved. The usual stuff you'd expect to see covered if you were given the job of establishing Wonder Woman as a character.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Skeletons in the closet, up until now the Amazons as a people only had the 4 fanatics Gail created...which wasn't much. And no, not really, because the Amazons are kinda the equal to Tolkien's Elves, they appear perfect from a distance until you get close enough to see the ugly details of their past.
    No. They had these guys:

There were Amazons who disagreed with Hipppolyta about opening the island to the world, and there was that Amazon who betrayed the Amazons to Magala.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Discombobulated Continuity from DC comics? ;)
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Well put. Who would expect anyone in their position to advance to Star Trek tech?

spoilers:
    Feminists.
    end of spoilers
    Most people are feminists. Maybe you mean scifi/fantasy writers.

Speaking only for me: I find 'good' > 'dirt.' Call me crazy. Call me unrealistic. I like (super)heroes. I like the Jedi. I like stories of peaceful-minded Shaolin monks (and other kung fu/warrior types) that can kick you ### if they have to. I love the idea of a group of people that are striving to be better than us, and even accomplish it.
    I like the good guys too. Its why Diana has my full support. Not that tied to all the women on her street where she grew up. Honestly, if they are so great at just being themselves, then there must be something that made them interesting without Diana. Otherwise, good or bad is just a description. I get people dislike the changes done to the Amazons, I just don't get the allure to care one way or the other when it comes to them. So, figured someone could come up with how they are interesting. I find the new ones completely interesting. At least enough to see more of their story.

Reluctant to leave? She was in Paradise; wouldn't you be reluctant to leave paradise? Or am I not following you?

Not following. What I mean if it is so great on Paradise Island, why wouldn't she want to stay? I get falling in love with a guy who will be written out of your book in a few years is a massive pull but was his eyes really that blue that she might not want to stay? I think she found them uninteresting.

Oh look at that, a pillar... just like that one... and that one. And look, a statue! And grass! Come sisters, let's gather round and tell stories of peace. Its a good thing she got the lasso when she was leaving. All I'm saying.

She'd never seen man's world. The Amazons had, and they got burned. She was born after they left, so she didn't have the same reasons for staying away from the world. She was curious, and she probably was bored. She was younger than the other Amazons.

Its why Diana has my full support.
    Azzarello does write Diana pretty well.

Not that tied to all the women on her street where she grew up.
    This isn't just some stranger down the street, it's her entire culture and society.

Not following. What I mean if it is so great on Paradise Island, why wouldn't she want to stay? I get falling in love with a guy who will be written out of your book in a few years is a massive pull but was his eyes really that blue that she might not want to stay? I think she found them uninteresting.
    I see now, I think Coveredinbees covered this pretty well. I'll just add that it's a classic story for a child to want to leave home and see the world, and yes, his eyes are that blue.
    - Longfellow