View Poll Results: Which of these team-up books is your favorite?

Voters
38. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • The Brave and the Bold

18 47.37%
  • DC Comics Presents

1 2.63%
  • Marvel Team-Up

8 21.05%
  • Marvel Two-in-One

7 18.42%
  • Other (specify in comments)

4 10.53%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

I'm voting for Marvel Team-Up. Sure, the stories were extremely formulaic right from the get go, but as a dyed-in-the-wool Spidey fan, this is the team-up book I've read most of. I would say, however, that the dozen or so issues of Marvel Two-In-One that I've read make it a very close second.

I've never read Brave And The Bold (I'm not much of a DC guy), but seeing all the love that it's getting in this thread makes me curious to sample it. Is there a Showcase Presents TPB of it available? If so, I may have to take a look.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

There are three Showcase Presents volumes for the Batman B&B team-ups. The first volume is kind of a mixed bag, but the other two volumes are pure Bob Haney/Jim Aparo.

In Order:

1. Brave & Bold. Batman. O'Neil. Adams. Haney. Aparo.
    2. Marvel Team Up. Spidey.
    3. DCCP. Superman. Jose Luis Garcia Lopez.
    4. World's Finest. Superman & Batman...together!
    5. Marvel Two-In-One.

Surprised at the lack of love for DC Comics Presents. Here are some highlights:

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez.
    Jim Starlin.
    Alan Moore Swamp Thing story.
    Steve Gerber Phantom Zone story.
    Superman and Wonder Woman together. (Snogging.)
    Superman and Captain Marvel together. (No snogging.)
    first Ambush Bug.
    First comedic use of Legion of Substitute Heroes.
    First in-continuity use of Global Guardians.
    First Superboy-Prime. (Wait, maybe that's a strike against it...)
    "Whatever Happened To..." back-up stories.
    Superboy's old pal Pete Ross grows up and tries to kill Superman. (He had his reasons.)
    First app. New Teen Titans.
    First app. Mongul.
    Masters of the Universe.
    Earth-2 crossovers. Actually, lots of dimension-hopping (MotU; Gemworld; Omac's future; Kamandi's future; Arion's past...)

I'm having a surprising amount of fun becoming re-acquainted with this title. Even the Paul Kupperberg stories are surprisingly readable--and how often do we reminisce about him on this board?

Based on how much I'm enjoying the 20-or so issues I own, I'm adding to my want list:
    • #25 (conclusion of Pete Ross subplot);
    • #26, 27, and 29 (Jim Starlin)--that #26 will be reeeeally hard to get due to the Wolfman/Perez Titans insert;
    • #41 (Joker by Garcia-Lopez);
    • #65 (Madame Xanadu by Grey Morrow); and
    • #78 ("Forgotten Villains"; conclusion of two-parter that started in 77 with "Forgotten Heroes").

Heck, if I find any pre-Crisis issues in a dollar bin, I'll just load up.
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 04-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Surprised at the lack of love for DC Comics Presents.
    Heck, if I find any pre-Crisis issues in a dollar bin, I'll just load up.
    I think part of it was that the first couple dozen issues are pretty uneven, even though the back end of the series really picks up.

Other favorites:
    Early Swamp Thing issue by Englehart and Murphy Anderson
    The Creeper team-up by Englehart and Giffen
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

I picked Marvel Team Up, it's the only one I've read over 100 different issues. Don't get me wrong though, I have a good bit of DCCP and 70s & 80s Brave & Bold (mostly 40c-60 covers) and enjoyed those too, but MTU wins out because I have about 2x the amount in my own personal collection.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I was in the bookstore today and I thumbed through Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo volume 1 and I realized that all the contents of this hardcover are from Aparo's run on B&B, starting with his first story in 98--teaming Batman and Phantom Stranger--through to his story in 122--teaming Batman and Swamp Thing. Looks like a book worth having.

I think that the lack of a consistent creative team ever hurts the book in people's memories - Although that's kind of a plus, too. I like how you'd have an issue drawn by Jack Kirby and Alex Toth back to back with an issue written by Alan Moore. And, DCCP # 81 (Superman and Ambush Bug) is my favorite single issue of any of the big four team-up books.

I'm having a surprising amount of fun becoming re-acquainted with this title. Even the Paul Kupperberg stories are surprisingly readable--and how often do we reminisce about him on this board?
    *Snicker*

General comments:

#25 (conclusion of Pete Ross subplot); _ # 25 was one of the last issues I got, too. The whole Pete Ross story - # 13, # 14, and # 25 was great. There were a couple of these ongoing plots that would skip a couple or a couple dozen issues.
    #26, 27, and 29 (Jim Starlin)--that #26 will be reeeeally hard to get due to the Wolfman/Perez Titans insert; I haven't read much of Starlin's Marvel stuff, but all his DCCP issues are superb.
    #41 (Joker by Garcia-Lopez); So, so, so good. The Plastic Man story by Joe Staton in # 39 is in a similarly comedic vein, and almost as good.
    #65 (Madame Xanadu by Grey Morrow); This is a sequel to the (fairly terrible) Power Girl story in... # 56? I think? Anyway, it's a really nice looking book.
    #78 ("Forgotten Villains"; conclusion of two-parter that started in 77 with "Forgotten Heroes"). THIS issue was really tough for me to find, too. A
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    I think that the lack of a consistent creative team ever hurts the book in people's memories - Although that's kind of a plus, too. I like how you'd have an issue drawn by Jack Kirby and Alex Toth back to back with an issue written by Alan Moore. And, DCCP # 81 (Superman and Ambush Bug) is my favorite single issue of any of the big four team-up books.

*Snicker*

General comments:

#25 (conclusion of Pete Ross subplot); _ # 25 was one of the last issues I got, too. The whole Pete Ross story - # 13, # 14, and # 25 was great. There were a couple of these ongoing plots that would skip a couple or a couple dozen issues.
    #26, 27, and 29 (Jim Starlin)--that #26 will be reeeeally hard to get due to the Wolfman/Perez Titans insert; I haven't read much of Starlin's Marvel stuff, but all his DCCP issues are superb.
    #41 (Joker by Garcia-Lopez); So, so, so good. The Plastic Man story by Joe Staton in # 39 is in a similarly comedic vein, and almost as good.
    #65 (Madame Xanadu by Grey Morrow); This is a sequel to the (fairly terrible) Power Girl story in... # 56? I think? Anyway, it's a really nice looking book.
    #78 ("Forgotten Villains"; conclusion of two-parter that started in 77 with "Forgotten Heroes"). THIS issue was really tough for me to find, too. A
    Great comments! Thanks for taking the time!!

I voted for it...what more can I do?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

B&B was my favorite team-up book and close to being my favorite title of all-time. I even recall the first team-up I ever read under that banner: the famous pairing of the Darknight Detective and the Clown Prince of Crime from #111.

Haney and Aparo were a classic combination, even if some of the stories were off the wall.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

I wonder if some titles weren't secret team-up titles. For instance, I remember during the Marv Wolfman and Joe Staton run on Green Lantern there were guest stars in almost every issue.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I wonder if some titles weren't secret team-up titles. For instance, I remember during the Marv Wolfman and Joe Staton run on Green Lantern there were guest stars in almost every issue.
    The first 15 or so Action Comics issues of Byrnes run were team ups.
    Last edited by dupersuper; 05-12-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

No consideration for Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams? It was my favorite when it came out

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    I didn't know that one... but I can think of a couple more. :)

The '70s Wonder Woman stories that took place on Earth-Two had a guest star in every issue.

And Amazing Spider-Man annual came real close for the first few years.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas