View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
18. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A] ONE OF THE BEST COMIC AROUND!!!

6 33.33%
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

2 11.11%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

9 50.00%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

0 0%
  • 2 out of 5 [C-/D+]

0 0%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

1 5.56%
  • I haven't read this issue... but I WILL now!!!

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Thumbs up Thunderbolts #173 *Spoilers*

THE THUNDERBOLTS #173
    ~ Like Lightning: PART II ~
    writer. Jeff Parker
    artist. Declan Shalvey
    spoilers:
    Brief Synopsis: trapped in the caverns under New York City, the Underbolts have no choice but to engage their former selves in a battle to the death. With the gloves off, Fixer [P. Norbert Ebersol] convinces Satana Hellstrome, Daughter of Satan, to use her magic to take out everyone in the cave, in one fell swoop. With both teams unconscious, Fixer and Satana bring their team back to the Thunderbolts Tower, in a hope of finding a solution to the mess they're in... but they are too late. Citizen V [Baron Helmut Zemo] has woken sooner than expected, and with his team behind him, he holds all the cards. Yet he comes not for war, but peace; with a proposition for the time-travelling fugitives; an unholy alliance between to the two teams, to unleash war upon Latveria ... but while the celebration of their new found camaraderie is in full swing, one Thunderbolt remains unaccounted for...
    ~ cliffhanger: Fixer confronts his former self, who has accessed the files on his future; and seeing how he life unfolds, he wants out... and Fixer gives it to him... [grade: A+]
    end of spoilers
    ~ cover: the two Moonstones, gleefully allied with Baron Zemo; not that relevant to the issue itself, but joyous nonetheless [grade: A]

BEST QUOTE: "We have destroyed out history already. I'm not going to lose a battle on top of that." ~ Centurius

BEST MOMENT: with hands raised high, drinks in hand, Thunderbolts and Underbolts toast as one "--to the THUNDERBOLTS"

LOVED
    1. Declan's beautiful first page with the Thunderbolts vs. the Underbolts (the TvsU of this comic )
    2. that GORGEOUS image of Songbird flying at Troll. One of my favourite Songbird images ever!!!
    3. CENTURIUS: Now prepare to see true leadership...
    4. Centurius vs. Baron Zemo
    5. Satana's nuclear ass-kicking!!!
    6. the Thunderbolts and the Underbolts drinking champagne together, celebrating their alliance. EPIC!!!
    7. the plan to ransack Doom's castle and steal all his arsenal!
    8. Ghost wearing a party hat. HAHAHAHAHA! Adorable!
    9. TECHNO: I never get married. I don't even date? There's not even any action in your life any-more! This new team leaves you at the prison all the time whenever there's an adventure. Tell me man, how do I change it? How do I keep from becoming you? You've dropped everything I believe in! Forgot everything I know about life-- really living!
    10. SONGBIRD IS ALIVE!!!! ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIKED
    1. Satana giving Techno "the catatonic kiss"; then taunting Fixer about her feelings for her
    2. Songbird vs. Troll... so sad...
    3. Zemo assuming Ghost was the leader, based on him "observing and disappearing"
    4. Satana saying that combat magic is not her forte, AND Fixer referencing her using the flame spell against the zombies (and the Nazis?)
    5. BARON ZEMO: Trouble with temporal mechanics, Norbert? I admit, it's not something I ever thought you would attempt.
    6. BOOMERANG: PART-TAY!
    7. SATANA: Rarely does anything good come from knowing the future, Atlas. Nor does anything change. Every seer I've ever met says it's a terrible burden. A burden that leads to self-fulfilling prophecy.
    8. MOONSTONE: They'll learn nothing from me. Hahahaha... LIAR!!!

OVERALL
    An incredible issue! Probably one of my favourite issues of Parker's run. Despite this issue being mostly a "fighting" issue, sooooooooooooo much happened. We learn about Doctor Doom's time machine (linking into what we know of the next arc... which makes me wonder, will the founding Thunderbolts still be with them?), the Thunderbolts and the Underbolts join forces, and then... there is the cliffhanger! I was on the edge of my seat, page to page, TERRIFIED Songbird was about to die. Goddess, I can now breadth a sigh of relief! *phew* AND... oddly, one of my favourite things... last issue's cliffhanger was not referenced! CLEARLY Moonstone is in cahoots with herself, clearly they are planning something, but it's covered up with a "staged fight" and Karla saying she would never say anything to herself. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to see where this all leads. AND wondering if my theory was right (that Fixer will willingly "become" himself and head to his death in issue #8, knowing what is to come). We will see... BEST. ISSUE. YET!!!
    ~ rating: 5 out of 5 [grade: A+]
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-19-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: I'm a perfectionist!
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Ha, you and Mechano posted reviews within a minute of each other.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...173-*SPOILERS*

I liked it, aside from the art which I think is okay at best, but I'm starting to think it might be the coloring that's ruining the art for me, since it looks so bland. Also, I didn't like the way Songbird seemed to act out of character for the time period this depicts, as she should have been less sure of herself and more hesitant. Of course, that might be explained by this being a different timeline kinda deal than what was seen in the early Thunderbolts issues.

It's more nitpicking than anything, but I do greatly prefer Kev Walker on Thunderbolts over Shalvey.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

I thought Shalvey's art was some of the best it's ever been on this one. The fight in the cave really suited his work. Loved Ghost in a party hat. Brilliant. Not sure I understand what Fixer went and did, but not sure he understands it either. CONFUSING STUFF. Hope Troll realises Songbird here is not Songbird there.

I haven't been enjoying T-Bolts as much since the focus shifted to the Underbolts time traveling adventure but this issue really brought it back for me. Great book.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sparticus View Post
    I thought Shalvey's art was some of the best it's ever been on this one. The fight in the cave really suited his work. Loved Ghost in a party hat. Brilliant. Not sure I understand what Fixer went and did, but not sure he understands it either. CONFUSING STUFF. Hope Troll realises Songbird here is not Songbird there.
    well Norbert's the reason that they are in the past. by sacrificing himself, he (theoretically) couldn't have gotten them stuck in time. of course that means that he couldn't have killed himself, in the first place.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

It appears as though the T-Bolts are dimension hopping not time travelling. Which is essentially how "time-travel" should work anyway.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Damn was this issue good. I really felt bad for Troll when past-Songbird tore into her, and that thing with Fixer? Wow

BANNED

Moonstones are planning something.
    There's no way they would end like that and immediately go back to fighting. They're going to backstab.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    There's no way they would end like that and immediately go back to fighting. They're going to backstab.
    That makes a lot of sense, I wondered why they were back to fighting like that.

BANNED

That makes a lot of sense, I wondered why they were back to fighting like that.
    To throw everyone off.
    What better way to convince everyone that you aren't planning something when you run from the group, and come back fighting?

I got into this book only recently, thanks to the recommendation of a friend, and I haven't regretted my decision to add this to my pull list. Poor Troll, I wanted to hug her after Songbird knocked her around.

Quote Originally Posted by Telos View Post
    Ha, you and Mechano posted reviews within a minute of each other.
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...173-*SPOILERS*
    LOL! Great minds, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I liked it, aside from the art which I think is okay at best, but I'm starting to think it might be the coloring that's ruining the art for me, since it looks so bland. It's more nitpicking than anything, but I do greatly prefer Kev Walker on Thunderbolts over Shalvey.
    I too "prefer" Kev Walker, agreed... BUT a) Kev Walker is probably my favourite (or at-least top three) artists at Marvel, and b) despite that, I do think Shavley knocked it out the ball park this issue; and did us fans proud. His best drawn issue to date, in my opinion (and he's done some great issues!). I am THRILLED that he is staying on the comic, drawing the Dark Avengers. Can't wait to see what his Ai Apaec looks like! (wow... that sounded super gay for some reason, lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    Also, I didn't like the way Songbird seemed to act out of character for the time period this depicts, as she should have been less sure of herself and more hesitant. Of course, that might be explained by this being a different time-line kinda deal than what was seen in the early Thunderbolts issues.
    Really? See, I felt she was very Mimi-esq. She is both nervous and aggressive. In the time-line, surely Angar only died a few weeks ago (if that).

I thought Shalvey's art was some of the best it's ever been on this one. The fight in the cave really suited his work. Loved Ghost in a party hat. Brilliant.
    I agree with every single thing you've written.

Not sure I understand what Fixer went and did, but not sure he understands it either. CONFUSING STUFF. Hope Troll realises Songbird here is not Songbird there.
    As I said, my theory is Fixer is about to become part of history, replacing himself and dying for real in issue 8; trapping him in a loop he will never escape. Think about it, the downloading into his body, and the body appearing = convenient. Really, it actually makes A LOT of sense why Parker would choose Fixer for this, considering he did die so early in the run. Parker did say the Underbolts are minus one member as of #175.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    I haven't been enjoying T-Bolts as much since the focus shifted to the Underbolts time traveling adventure but this issue really brought it back for me. Great book.
    Thrilled you enjoyed this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    well Norbert's the reason that they are in the past. by sacrificing himself, he (theoretically) couldn't have gotten them stuck in time. of course that means that he couldn't have killed himself, in the first place.
    Agreed, it's perfect redemption for him (and VERY sad).

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    It appears as though the T-Bolts are dimension hopping not time travelling. Which is essentially how "time-travel" should work anyway.
    Disagree. I think this is leading to some major time meddling. Parker previously said the time is coming when other comics will have to be part of an event the Thunderbolts cause (rather than the Thunderbolts always being tagged into events). Maybe all this causes the upcoming Ultron Wars???
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

THAT'S IT??? REALLY??? After months of already going into mourning, being "glass half empty" guy... you aren't even going to go "yey, Songbird lived"??? REALLY? Dis-a-point-ed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I got into this book only recently, thanks to the recommendation of a friend, and I haven't regretted my decision to add this to my pull list. Poor Troll, I wanted to hug her after Songbird knocked her around.
    Thrilled to hear it. Welcome aboard, Fanbolt! Are you going to go back and get some TPB's? The Fear, Itself arc is EPIC!

To throw everyone off.
    What better way to convince everyone that you aren't planning something when you run from the group, and come back fighting?
    100% agreed. Her plan is BRILLIANT!!!! Great to see Karla manipulating for all she's worth!

I think we should have expected abuncha villians to change the past while they were there. XD Im suprised it took this long!

And the look on Fixers face when he killed Techno... brrr