Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I prefer the Defenders like Nighthawk, Valkyrie, Gargoyle, Hellcat, etc... to the big characters like SS, Namor, Hulk and Strange.
    Agreed. I don't mind Strange and Hulk showing up semi-regularly, but Namor should be used rarely, and not a fan of Silver Surfer being on Earth at all. The four you mentioned are who I think of when I think Defenders.

My opinion, I would rather see more of Samantha Parrington as Valkyrie that Brunnhilde.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    he's stupid looking. Deadpool has a somewhat interesting costume to cover up his stupid. i just really hate Manslaughter(the name sucks btw)'s look. coincidentally, i also hate Mister Immortal's look. it's just a really awful build for spandex.
    I'm with you on Manslaughter. I think he was the worst thing that ever happened to the Defenders.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Supreme Power Nighthawk makes regular Nighthawk look like Bryant Gumbel.
    That's because JMS took the idea of Nighthawk being a Batman knockoff literarly as a dark vigilante. 616 Nighthawk started as a Batman-type from a Justice League-type from another Universe but he stopped being that the moment he joined the Defenders. They gave him the ability to fly with a new gadget, then he developed his own personality, more heroic, definitly less dark. He did not even possess detective traits like Bruce. The only similarity wich Busiek brought back in the series he did with Larsen was having healthy background.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Agreed. I don't mind Strange and Hulk showing up semi-regularly, but Namor should be used rarely, and not a fan of Silver Surfer being on Earth at all. The four you mentioned are who I think of when I think Defenders.

My opinion, I would rather see more of Samantha Parrington as Valkyrie that Brunnhilde.
    Never liked the whole thing with Brunnhilde. I was reading the old Defenders comics recently and was amazed about her origin on how she was a Enchantress doppleganger who somehow split on her own, creating her own identity. So she's wasn't just another Valkyrie.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    But doesn't Batman beat Superman in 9 out of 10 universes?
    Only when the deck is stupidly stacked and/or the writer's firmly on Bats side.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Only when the deck is stupidly stacked and/or the writer's firmly on Bats side.
    But the deck usually is stacked that way. I'd say nine out of ten times.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

I always liked the idea that the Defenders were the dudes that Dr. Strange would press gang into helping him
    out with extiction level threats.

In those early stories, Doc would practically have to drag Namor away kicking and screaming.

So Secret Defenders was closer to the core concept of what the Defenders are than the Dematties Angel, Beast, Iceman run.

If anything that was Champions 2.0.

for the life of me, i can't figure out what you guys like about Manslaughter. he's just the crappiest character design i've seen in awhile. he's not even athletic looking. the guy's supposed to be a team-beater. at least with Mister X, they made him look somewhat serious.

look at this feeb. he looks like a hostess fruit pie character.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/manslaughterdef.htm
    Can't argue with you there. Imo, Manslaughter really was a stupid character, visually and otherwise (don't mind the name though).

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I agree with that. Perlin was capable at best. There was a fill-in towards the end of the run by Mark Badger that was far more interesting that anything Perlin had drawn.
    I liked very much a fill-in issue Luke McDonnell did that introduced Andromeda. Made me wish they'd gotten him for the permanant gig, and I'm not even that much of McDonnell fan (though I'm still anxiously awaiting for DC to continue reprinting his Suicide Squad run).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    So Secret Defenders was closer to the core concept of what the Defenders are than the Dematties Angel, Beast, Iceman run.

If anything that was Champions 2.0.
    Though I read very few Secret Defenders issues, I liked the basic concept of Strange randomly selecting heroes according to specific threats (Tarot Cards, wasn't it). But the book really went to the pitts when Dr. Druid and the Monster Squad took it over.

I liked Champions 2.0.

Peace

Senior Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

The "Elf With A Gun" sub-plot sucked...
    The Gerry Conway/Keith Giffen & DAK/Ed Hannigan issues weren't that bad...
    Hellcat was annoying until J.M. DeMatteis arrived...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    That's because JMS took the idea of Nighthawk being a Batman knockoff literarly as a dark vigilante. 616 Nighthawk started as a Batman-type from a Justice League-type from another Universe but he stopped being that the moment he joined the Defenders. They gave him the ability to fly with a new gadget, then he developed his own personality, more heroic, definitly less dark. He did not even possess detective traits like Bruce. The only similarity wich Busiek brought back in the series he did with Larsen was having healthy background.
    I think JMS did that because Gruenwald did it that way, no?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    But doesn't Batman beat Superman in 9 out of 10 universes?
    Superman isn't Hyperion. the latter wasn't anything resembling a boyscout. he didn't have an equivalent to kryptonite at that time, either. Nighthawk mind****ed him.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    The "Elf With A Gun" sub-plot sucked...
    The Gerry Conway/Keith Giffen & DAK/Ed Hannigan issues weren't that bad...
    Hellcat was annoying until J.M. DeMatteis arrived...
    Wow. That IS controversial. I will overcome the urge to throw rotten tomatoes at you. I LOVED that sub-plot!

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

LOL! That would be fun!

FF purist-snob

Superman isn't Hyperion. the latter wasn't anything resembling a boyscout. he didn't have an equivalent to kryptonite at that time, either. Nighthawk mind****ed him.
    I'm guessing you don't believe Hyperion and Nighthawk and Superman and Barman analogies, not exact copies.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP