Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    Are you talking about comics in general or superheroes? Because in the former, WB/DC have the advantage of going far beyond the genre to films like Road To Perdition, V For Vendetta, The Losers and R.E.D.
    "Comics" isn't a genre. It's a medium.
    "The Losers" wasn't a film in the comics genre, it was a film in the espionage/action genre.
    So yeah, I meant the superhero genre.

And in the latter, WB has a much bigger slate to fill than Marvel, ensures DC has a TV presence much longer than Marvel, and pushes its characters better across products because it has the Six Flags network to market it — not to mention has been far more successful at having a diverse toy line to boot.
    WB is not interested in a Marvel versus DC rivalry.

In terms of the heroes themselves, yes, they haven't diversified superhero movies as much as Marvel — but they (a) didn't want to saturate the market with movies the way Marvel is doing, and (b) more importantly, MOST of their heroes already have a cinematic presence in the audience's mind. You can't just make a Wonder Woman movie without people thinking of the Linda Carter series from 1976-1978; you can't make a Flash movie without someone reminding you it was a semi-successful TV series in the 90s. (Shazam! also had two TV series as well.)
    And you can't just put Nick Fury i n a film without people thinking David Hasselhof. Or Hulk without thinking Bill Bixby/Lou Ferigno. Captain America had a bunch of films as well in teh eighties...
    And DC does not seem to have ha any problems slaying the ghosts of Adam West's Batman, Michael Keaton's Batman, and the rest of the gang.

This proble is simply not exist.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    "The Losers" wasn't a film in the comics genre, it was a film in the espionage/action genre.

And you can't just put Nick Fury i n a film without people thinking David Hasselhof. Or Hulk without thinking Bill Bixby/Lou Ferigno. Captain America had a bunch of films as well in teh eighties...
    And DC does not seem to have ha any problems slaying the ghosts of Adam West's Batman, Michael Keaton's Batman, and the rest of the gang.

That isn't true, most people don't even know that Hasselhof movie is a thing.

Well they Should Espeaclly if The Avengers out due TDKR and Superman reboot fails to out dur Superman Returns nearly $400,000,000 world wide
    Cyclops ad portas

I still want to see the eventual Marvel character/DC character crossover movie. Joss could do it, for sure..

Elder Member

Screw Marvel vs. DC! Harry Dean Stanton is in the Avengers movie!

I really and truly hope that the Avengers leads to more success in Hollywood for Whedon. Whedon has done TV shows I absolutely love (Firefly & Angel), comics I love (Fray & Astonishing X-Men) and made a great movie (Serenity). I realize that the Avengers will ensure he gets big opportunity to shine, but I really hope that the movie wins over enough people so he can create more original material.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Well they Should Espeaclly if The Avengers out due TDKR and Superman reboot fails to out dur Superman Returns nearly $400,000,000 world wide
    The Lord of the Rings:The Return of the King did $1,119,929,521 worldwide. They have two prequels lined up. They're not worried about the Avengers.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Cap didn't have "a bunch of films as well in teh eighties." He had two TV movies in 1979, and one movie made from '89 to '90 that wasn't seen until going direct to video in 1992. The More You Know...

Quote Originally Posted by Bedknobs_and_Boomsticks View Post
    Cap didn't have "a bunch of films as well in teh eighties." He had two TV movies in 1979, and one movie made from '89 to '90 that wasn't seen until going direct to video in 1992. The More You Know...

He did have acouple of serials in the 40's. Hell, they are even in Canon in the 616.
    Cyclops ad portas

The Lord of the Rings:The Return of the King did $1,119,929,521 worldwide. They have two prequels lined up. They're not worried about the Avengers.
    Isn't that in the winter?
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    Your Correct ... i Only saw it when i was flicking through channels about 5 years ago when i was up really late doing some work ...like 2 am in the morning type late ... He was a terrible Nick fury but got to love the Hoff i guess. To be honest i couldent tell anyone what Bill Bixby looks like but i know he was the original Hulk along with Lou Ferrigno the Bodybuilder . I sincerely doubt that most people (Who dont follow comics other then the films) especially those under 30 Know that Hoff was even in a Marvel movie .
    Tattoos Music Sports and Comics . Derrick Rose / Jack Wilshere are Sporting Legends . England/Asia/The Caribbean All day !!

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    you really want toblow their mind? Tell them it was written by the same guy that wrote all the Blade filmsand Noalan's Batman films
    Cyclops ad portas

Gone

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    Isn't that in the winter?
    Winter is coming.

Watchmen was a success. People tend to ignore that in an attempt to go after Snyders balls. That includes critics. It made a modest profit, which is saying a helluva lot when you're dealing with a movie well over 2 hours, rated R, and featuring no movie stars.

And as for this "Marvel cracked the code - they are us" claim. It's true. But you can't make the claim that DC amended their approach as if it was a recent conumdrum that they took care of. It was the late 70's early 80's at least, when DC started to humanize their heroes. That's like 40 years ago. You can really see this play out in the differences in both of their animated stuff. Batman: the animated series, JLU, etc. All of them, very much character driven, meaty endeavors. You can't even compare Avengers: earths mightiest heroes to Young Justice.