Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    lol. The ones with the little messages:

That would be too awesome for words!
    Thank you!
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Thank you!
    Thank you for making me smile. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ;)
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    You mean the figure with the bright blue underpants (even through her boots are black) and weird proportions? I'd wait for a Chiang statue/figure. It's bound to be more accurate and better proportioned.

And yeah i love the new 52 suit too!
    I was pretty annoyed at the paint errors on the figure we'd seen, but based on this pic from C2E2, they finally got it right!

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mo...e=800&start=20

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I was pretty annoyed at the paint errors on the figure we'd seen, but based on this pic from C2E2, they finally got it right!

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mo...e=800&start=20
    Thank god! I'm still kind of bugged by all those muscles and how exposed her chest is.

Sorry for being such a sourpuss.

Excellent issue.

Glad this thread hasnt taken a dark turn (yet)

i thought the underworld idea was interesting. And the art matched the mood of what was being written about, at least in my mind. So 2 pluses. But, I still think WW seems pretty weak. She definitely can't fly. And the gun thing was kind of eff'ed up, but it's probably a plot device... since it was stressed that she'd have them back and yet she gives them up.

I think she should get a refund on those bracelets. They don't work so well.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    I'm also surprised that he's so agreeable after she treated him like dirt.
    I thought it was pretty clear at the end of 7 that she was contrite and he was understanding. He put his hand on her shoulder and told her she was just tired and needed some rest--"for tomorrow, you can go to hell!" (He's understanding, but also understandably sarcastic.) Don't forget, too, that he had already told her earlier that he had decided to arm her, and Hades' creature probably only strengthened his resolve.

I think there could have been a cliff hanger had some kind of hint been made. You know how good Chiang is at body language and insinuating things with his art... give a subtle hint, etc.
    I think so too; in fact, I that a "cliffhanger with hints" may be exactly what we got! One possible hint is the fact that she takes the pistols so readily--despite Eros's obvious disapproval, despite her preference for even more "archaic" weapons, and despite the fact that, judging by her tactics against the zombies, she really has little use for the guns as weapons. Another hint is the fact that she brings up Hades' desire for a wife and asks what else he wants--almost as is she were prompting him to ask for the guns. Yet another hint is the fact that she turns over the guns with no hesitation. And actually, her "body language" and facial expressions as she does all this are interesting. There also may be foreshadowing when Hephaestus says, in 7, that you don't bargain with Hades with weapons, but Eros says weapons a good start (which turns out to be exactly right--the weapons are Hades' starting point, but what he's really bargaining for is a queen.) If there were any stronger hints, I think we'd pretty much know that there was a plan, and then some of the suspense and speculation would be lost.

Here's my idea: There is no plan, and I will guess at the fact that Wonder Woman is immune to the gun and will be faking it all on her own until the moment is right, when she will seize the opportunity and cash-out! Or... there is no plan, but there will be.
    That could be, too. We'll see....
    Last edited by slvn; 04-18-2012 at 08:00 PM.

I really liked this issue. Chiangs art is amazing, and i'm really bummed out that he won't be doing the next few issues. Still enjoying the story, Azzarello is doing some excellent world building and i'm looking forward to seeing how this all shakes down.

To whomever said Diana was being naive in turning over Eros' guns; she did try to block the bullets with her bracelets, so she wasn't totally unprepared for the possibility that the guns might be used on her.

When Azz said the book was going to be horror I was confused by what he met but now I finally get it... Honestly I don't mind if Wondie can't fly...Decapitating five undead soldiers upside down while in mid back flip would be significantly less impressive if I knew she could levitate...

Also it should be noted time passes differently in the underworld... It's likely that Diana may trapped in the Underworld with Hades for months or more... This plot point was brought up for a reason... I believe it will be significant in the next issue...
    Last edited by dreyga2000; 04-18-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

-Jeff Brady

Quoted for truth....

[IMG]http://*****************************/5131/1334797335190.jpg[/IMG]

So far we've seen some bondage, some passionate love making, some preying mantis kind of love making, slavery and submission, and now forced love and marriage. Azzarello seems pretty much in tune with the old books i'd say. He's just not being so blatant about the sexual and weird stuff the way the old books were and the way Morrison said he'd be if he wrote his WW book. But the sexual stuff is there, subtly covered by the dark tone, and greek god politics.

Maybe Azz isnt just discarding everything that came before like some people think, just fine tuning it for today's audiences?

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    When Azz said the book was going to be horror I was confused by what he met but now I finally get it... Honestly I don't mind if Wondie can't fly...Decapitating five undead soldiers upside down while in mid back flip would be significantly less impressive if I knew she could levitate...

Also it should be noted time passes differently in the underworld... It's likely that Diana may trapped in the Underworld with Hades for months or more... This plot point was brought up for a reason... I believe it will be significant in the next issue...
    I agree with you about flight. However she does fly in the latest JL issue, much to my disappointment. Like you said, every skillful fight scene is rendered pointless if she can fly. She could have just flown around the underworld and searched for Zola, not walked, not forced to fight his army, not forced to walk through that forest, etc.

I dunno, maybe Azzarello is doing his thing and there isnt much feedback between him and Johns. Besides, even when she could fly they'd often conveniently forget about it in most fights, so that she'd show off her fighting skills.

BANNED

[IMG]http://*****************************/5131/1334797335190.jpg[/IMG]

So far we've seen some bondage, some passionate love making, some preying mantis kind of love making, slavery and submission, and now forced love and marriage. Azzarello seems pretty much in tune with the old books i'd say. He's just not being so blatant about the sexual and weird stuff the way the old books were and the way Morrison said he'd be if he wrote his WW book. But the sexual stuff is there, subtly covered by the dark tone, and greek god politics.

Maybe Azz isnt just discarding everything that came before like some people think, just fine tuning it for today's audiences?
    Those Amazons appear to be nice young ladies, don't they? They're not at all the type to seduce and murder sailors and sell their male children into slavery. That's some fine tuning.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    What time is it, really, in the upper world when she left?

I'm formulating my own idiosyncratic theory for a way out of this. Bear with me. I don't remember seeing any explicit references to set the year on modern Earth in the business. There aren't many clues in the book. I don't know about London, or its geography, but the landmark always depicted to let you know it's London is mid nineteenth century. The ship raided by Amazons? Looks like it's diesel; early twentieth century at the earliest. The hair metal band in the club? Their visual style could exist early-seventies to present; this is important. (The DC superheroes have not yet caught up with grunge. Not looking forward to it, either.)

What if.... Zola's child is actually Wonder Woman? She'd be born an American. The current protagonist is actually Diana Trevor or her counterpart; she dies on this mission or is turned into a constellation by the gods or something. But she preserves the life of the child who will be raised by the real, civilized Amazons and become the Wonder Woman appearing in Justice League.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

I agree with you about flight. However she does fly in the latest JL issue, much to my disappointment. Like you said, every skillful fight scene is rendered pointless if she can fly. She could have just flown around the underworld and searched for Zola, not walked, not forced to fight his army, not forced to walk through that forest, etc.

I dunno, maybe Azzarello is doing his thing and there isnt much feedback between him and Johns. Besides, even when she could fly they'd often conveniently forget about it in most fights, so that she'd show off her fighting skills.
    I agree that Azzarello is probably just doing his own thing. I remember certain fight scenes from the time period when Diana could fly and she chose not too, (the only one that springs to mind is JLA classified #3 right now) instead taking on her opponents in a style similar to what we're seeing in this series.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. I also prefer a Superman that can only jump really high rather than being able to fly so fast he can spin the earth backwards and go back in time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    What time is it, really, in the upper world when she left?

I'm formulating my own idiosyncratic theory for a way out of this. Bear with me. I don't remember seeing any explicit references to set the year on modern Earth in the business. There aren't many clues in the book. I don't know about London, or its geography, but the landmark always depicted to let you know it's London is mid nineteenth century. The ship raided by Amazons? Looks like it's diesel; early twentieth century at the earliest. The hair metal band in the club? Their visual style could exist early-seventies to present; this is important. (The DC superheroes have not yet caught up with grunge. Not looking forward to it, either.)

What if.... Zola's child is actually Wonder Woman? She'd be born an American. The current protagonist is actually Diana Trevor or her counterpart; she dies on this mission or is turned into a constellation by the gods or something. But she preserves the life of the child who will be raised by the real, civilized Amazons and become the Wonder Woman appearing in Justice League.
    That would be brilliant. If Azzarello could get with you and Slvn to help him co-plot we'd have a winner on our hands. I'm sure there'd be a lot less holes.