Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Olivera View Post
    Well.. I know they're just theories... and good ones...but that would take the cake! That is too much planning off panel, which is also my complaint about the fruition of the first plot to break Hera's mirror.
    But if the planning had been on panel, it would have been less of a cliffhanger, right? And it doesn't seem implausible that it could have happened; there was plenty of time for it. Let;s say Heph came up to Diana's room after issue 7...he suggested the plan...she tweaked it...they said good night. How long would that really take?

Ek Vitki Runoz Writu CaptMagellan's Avatar

I do really love this book! Each issue is fantastic!

Can't wait to see what Diana being 'in love' with Hades will be like.

I've dropped every comic from the Big Two except Wonder Woman and Action comics. I'll keep reading them as long as Morrison and Azz are on them.
    "The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason" - Benjamin Franklin

"Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery." - R.G. Ingersoll

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    But if the planning had been on panel, it would have been less of a cliffhanger, right? And it doesn't seem implausible that it could have happened; there was plenty of time for it. Let;s say Heph came up to Diana's room after issue 7...he suggested the plan...she tweaked it...they said good night. How long would that really take?
    I'm also surprised that he's so agreeable after she treated him like dirt.

I think there could have been a cliff hanger had some kind of hint been made. You know how good Chiang is at body language and insinuating things with his art... give a subtle hint, etc.

Here's my idea: There is no plan, and I will guess at the fact that Wonder Woman is immune to the gun and will be faking it all on her own until the moment is right, when she will seize the opportunity and cash-out! Or... there is no plan, but there will be.

Great issue. And not. It's odd. I get really excited but realize I'm underwhelmed and unfulfilled.

I agree with many of the questions, critiques, complaints, etc. Eight issues in, and I can't help but feel like there's still too much (apparently) happening behind the curtain. This isn't all bad, it gets me thinking and excited. But 8 issues = 8 months. Like 'For Tomorrow,' it's really starting to drag. It will probably read much better when collected (like Azzarello's work I've read).

Not to mention, I don't really understand much of what anyone is doing. Eros is suddenly gung-ho to follow WW to hell? Hades just wants a queen? Um, what happened to Persephone? She don't count or what? "Here, have some guns; they aren't mine, and I wasn't using them anyway"? Sorry, but very few actions of anyone make much sense to me. And what action there is is just too brief.

btw, unless I'm mistaken, Eros is not Hephaestus' son, right?

And I still don't trust him. Hephaestus, that is. Not that I really trust Eros either. Or Hermes. Or Lennox. I'm getting rather paranoid, actually. ;)

eta:
    Perhaps, Eros isn't really following WW at all, but instead is willing to help Hermes. Although, he seems to suspect (or know) that Hermes is after something more than just Zola.
    Last edited by americanwonder; 04-18-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    "... Act, that each tomorrow find us farther than today."
    - Longfellow

... Here's my idea: There is no plan, and I will guess at the fact that Wonder Woman is immune to the gun ...
    Oh, I do so like this idea, Rob. Nice.
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Call me Cassandra.
    It is rather impressive. But Cain, Sandsmark or the 'real' one from Supergirl?
    Comic bletherings by me at: http://dangermart.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I like your theories.

Btw, I was suprised to see the bullets leave a hole. I thought they'd just make you fall in love.
    I like slvn's theories too. I reckon the gun should have fire those sweeties, Love Hearts ... dunno if they have them outside the UK, but Diana was in London. Sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    'Off-panel', though, can be a really annoying device; it doesn't play fair with the reader, jumping out and announcing 'SURPRISE'!

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Great issue. And not. It's odd. I get really excited but realize I'm underwhelmed and unfulfilled.

I agree with many of the questions, critiques, complaints, etc. Eight issues in, and I can't help but feel like there's still too much (apparently) happened behind the curtain. This isn't all bad, it gets me thinking. But 8 issues = 8 months. Like 'For Tomorrow,' it's really starting to drag. It will probably read much better when collected (like much of Azzarello's work I've read).

Not to mention, I don't really understand much of what anyone is doing. Eros is suddenly gung-ho to follow WW to hell? Hades just wants a queen? Um, what happened to Persephone? She don't count or what? "Here, have some guns; they aren't mine, and I wasn't using them anyway"? Sorry, but very few actions of anyone make much sense to me. And what action there is is just too brief.

btw, unless I'm mistaken, Eros is not Hephaestus' son, right?

And I still don't trust him.

I agree with much of what you say. The scenes play too fast, but the pace is way too slow. Unfortunately I'm not the type to wait for the collected books, particularly not WW. The book feels like its being drawn to some bullet points script.. not very unlike what Phil Hester did after Stracynski left Wonder Woman by following brief outlines left behind. First, she's hog tying Hephaestus and throwing him through a brick wall like a bag of crap, then first thing the next issue he's offering his entire arsenal of weapons to her without question.. with nothing in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I like slvn's theories too. I reckon the gun should have fire those sweeties, Love Hearts ... dunno if they have them outside the UK, but Diana was in London. Sort of.
    lol. The ones with the little messages:

That would be too awesome for words!
    - Longfellow

... First, she's hog tying Hephaestus and throwing him through a brick wall like a bag of crap, then first thing the next issue he's offering his entire arsenal of weapons to her without question.. with nothing in between.
    Exactly - there's too many BIG jumps (apparently) off-panel.
    - Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I hope no one minds a new thread - the preview thread is already so long that I thought an obvious point at which anyone who's read the book chirp up might make sense. Feel free to merge, Mods!

In short, still not the Wonder Woman series I'd like to see, but for what it is, a great issue. Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang provide a novel take on the Underworld, put Diana front and centre, keep up the hints that Hermes isn't what he seems, maintain the creepiness throughout and provide a sharp, satisfying cliffhanger. Good dialogue, sublime art ... best issue yet, I'd say.

And if anyone wants (cos no one needs it!) a long version of that first par, I've reviewed Wonder Woman #8 at my blog.
    I totally agree. It's not what we want, but it's still good. Nice blob by the way.

I reviewed it too, here: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-weekly-41812/
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Another great issue, one of my faves so far. Chiang's work continues to floor me!

Half of me wants WW in this armor full time, the other half loves the new "regular" costume too much to part with it (plus I preordered the figure, bust and statue so I'd like it to stick around).

Best WW run I've ever read!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Another great issue, one of my faves so far. Chiang's work continues to floor me!

Half of me wants WW in this armor full time, the other half loves the new "regular" costume too much to part with it (plus I preordered the figure, bust and statue so I'd like it to stick around).

tread on those false roads carefully bro, there are bandits about...

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post

You mean the figure with the bright blue underpants (even through her boots are black) and weird proportions? I'd wait for a Chiang statue/figure. It's bound to be more accurate and better proportioned.

And yeah i love the new 52 suit too!