Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

so all the people in the comic where real people?

even the glowing skull guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post

All of them are BASED off of real people.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    All of them are BASED off of real people.
    well i know that he wasn't really a guy in a radiation suit with a floating skull for a head in real life.

Yup, you nailed it.

The atomic skull guy is Harry Daghlian, who died of radiation poisoning during the Manhattan Project making his depiction in the comic slightly humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yup, you nailed it.

The atomic skull guy is Harry Daghlian, who died of radiation poisoning during the Manhattan Project making his depiction in the comic slightly humorous.
    ah, i see. the character design makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yup, you nailed it.

+1

What I meant to say. Sorry, but I get lazy on an iPad.
    Pull List: Saga, Danger Club, Invincible, Chew, Animal Man, Aquaman, Supergirl, Earth 2, Dancer, The Flash, TWD, Before Watchmen, Harbinger, and Swamp Thing

ah, i see. the character design makes sense now.
    Yup, it's a bit of dark humor at Dr. Daghlian's expense.

Yep! Daghlian was real. He even pops his top in the next issue...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JordieMP%u002525233.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	92422

Jonathan and I landed the ultra talented Jordie Bellaire to color MP for the future issues. She starts on #3 and its tops (her Daghlian colors above). Jordie colors John Carter over Ramon Perez and did some color assist on Tale of Sand I believe....incredible stuff.

Thats pretty sweet!
    Check out this sweet comic coming in 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Throwb...889?ref=stream

average comic book fan... JonQCitizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I agree with Roland. When the Nazi stuff comes in...there isn't enough built up to make it work I think. It's sort of just there as a blind villain to be hated. Meh. This issue really turned me off from the series. The pacing seems wonky too.
    I think Hickman is assuming that the large majority of readers of The Manhattan Projects are semi-intelligent individuals who are aware of the Nazis, WWII, The Manhattan Project, and at least one or two of the scientists involved. With that in mind, why waste too much space explaining why the Nazi scientist is a "bad guy"? Everyone knows that the Nazis were the enemies!

I think Hickman; in a sense and I'm stretching here, is doing the same thing with TMP Scientists that is done on The Big Bang Theory....except serious and deranged....he taking these characters to their most extreme ends, and making them interact. It's really brilliant; imo, to do what he's done in the first couple issues with Oppenheimer, Feynman, Einstein, & Von Braun......Although I've never read or listened to Feynman's lectures, and I'm sure his quotes are taken out of context (for the sake of awesome storytelling), it's really genius by Hickman to be doing this book this way!
    Last edited by JonQCitizen; 05-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    Currently collecting: Aphrodite IX, Elephantmen, The Flash, Godzilla, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Guardians of the Galaxy, Saga, & Usagi Yojimbo.

average comic book fan... JonQCitizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolfan View Post
    .....Doesn't it bother any one that Hickman is completely, fictionally of course, trashing some pretty significant historical figures?....
    While significant for creating the world's most destructive force ever, and helping to bring us to the technological advances we enjoy today.....they were some really "wacked" out individuals with all sorts of mental disturbances & idiosyncrasies. That is not a "put down", it is well documented. I think to explore those characteristics in a fictional, quasi-sci-fi way is fine....
    Last edited by JonQCitizen; 05-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Currently collecting: Aphrodite IX, Elephantmen, The Flash, Godzilla, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Guardians of the Galaxy, Saga, & Usagi Yojimbo.

A nice little short article about the Manhattan Projects from the Slate.com blog. That's almost, kinda-sorta like a subsidiary of a mainstream newspaper! Cool to see this title getting some press.
    Omactivate! RIP

Attention! Invading alien scum! I am Bentley, scourge of man, destroyer of hope, and I also have a passing interest in dinosaurs -- Prepare to surrender now!

Quote Originally Posted by JonQCitizen View Post
    While significant for creating the world's most destructive force ever, and helping to bring us to the technological advances we enjoy today.....they were some really "wacked" out individuals with all sorts of mental disturbances & idiosyncrasies. That is not a "put down", it is well documented. I think to explore those characteristics in a fictional, quasi-sci-fi way is fine....
    and they are all dead so they won't be offended.