People on a train screaming

"AAAAH Saves us!"

*it about crash before superman comes in to save them*

"Sorry my alarm didn't ring this morning"
    Has to remember his suggestion for the traitor game

#17! RED/MRF/NKA/AMD/RZL/SHP/RHN/MIB/VF/ALC/ NWG/MN/HW

can you crack the code?

Quote Originally Posted by The Frozen Reptile View Post
    I think disguising himself as a coffee shop would probably speed him up once the caffeine kicks in...and the sugar from the doughnuts.

As for being ragged by Bill Maher, isn't Superman the ultimate Democrat, thus being immune to his criticism?
    Clark's political beliefs were never made public. For all we know, he's independent.

Some time in the 1970s there was a story explaining that Superman didn't need to sleep for any physical reason. However, there was a psychological reason. If he didn't dream once in a while, he'd go cuckoo for cocoa puffs.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Clark's political beliefs were never made public. For all we know, he's independent.
    The way he acted when the comic first came out shows concern for the oppressed and true justice, not law and order; he cared about results and not the methods; that would make him for a Democrat (at least during the FDR years.)

And he would not have voted for Luthor.
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

The way he acted when the comic first came out shows concern for the oppressed and true justice, not law and order; he cared about results and not the methods; that would make him for a Democrat (at least during the FDR years.)
    Personal beliefs are not the same as political beliefs. Ergo, his political ties were never openly confirmed. That's why he was never shown voting as Clark Kent in any story.

And he would not have voted for Luthor.
    Well, duh. But just because he'd be an independent has no bearing on if he choose to vote or not on any given year.

I don't think he sleeps in currently but not due to his Superman duties. I think its his Clark Kent identity that keeps him from doing so. Really, if he did do we ever really know? The story apparently doesn't have a good alarm clock as it rarely catches him before he's up and about. Anyone ever notice that?

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    There's always some crisis or other.

Superman did hand over his superman metropolis duties when he went on his honeymoon with Lois.

OMG, this is amazing. I need to see this animated somehow or a modern update.

I have difficulty believing that Superman would have reconciled the views you've expressed with Japanese internment camps, for example. FDR supported those camps, Democrat or not. Perhaps it was written at some point that Superman thought they were a great, necessary idea as well, but it seems inconsistent with his overall character in any era. There are other policies FDR, and the Democrats, supports that seem out of place in Superman's personality.

..for whom the bell tolls The Frozen Reptile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I have difficulty believing that Superman would have reconciled the views you've expressed with Japanese internment camps, for example. FDR supported those camps, Democrat or not. Perhaps it was written at some point that Superman thought they were a great, necessary idea as well, but it seems inconsistent with his overall character in any era. There are other policies FDR, and the Democrats, supports that seem out of place in Superman's personality.
    No one is perfect; and one has to remember that everyone is defined by the times they live in for the most part, FDR would never support those camps now; and he only signed the order reluctantly (apparently; this may be revisionist history. He also wouldn't desegregate the army.). Perhaps this would have been an injustice that Superman could have fought against... Remember that Superman was pictured fighting against the Japanese and the Nazis, (look at the blatant racism in Wonder Woman v 1 #1-12 esp the part where a car full of Japanese men crash and she calls them "too lazy to jump", but this was published and considered acceptable. Democrats were more interventionist by and large then, wanting to help others. Yes, they had to be white, but it was a start...
    "Make yourself comfortable, I haven’t time to attend to it." - With these words, a legend was born.

It's DEFINITELY true that Superman's apparent political beliefs are a product of the time they were written and who wrote them.

Golden Age? Yeah, he seems like a really radical liberal at that time. One of my favorites, personally.
    Silver Age? He didn't really think about politics, but whenever a mayor, president, or other authority figure cropped up, it was a clear cut respect, no questions asked. Seems like a pretty basic, 1950s conservative view to me.

In the Bronze Age he picked up a bit more liberalism due to Denny O'Neil and the like, but that was also balanced by the conservative writing by Wolfman and debatably Maggin, who both always portrayed Superman's willingness to help people instead of letting them help themselves as a major character fault.

Byrne definitely wrote his Superman as a true-blue conservative with small-town values and all that implies, but since then writers have mainly taken the "I keep my views private" road to avoid alienating any politically minded readers, even if they implied political views underneath that depend on the writer, nothing more.

Of course, Morrison trying to bring him back to the Golden Age made him bring back the liberal Superman as well, though in a more realistic way where he realizes now that brute force isn't enough to stop injustice.

Really, Superman can be seen as a metaphor for the American government. Liberal writers make him very active and willing to use his powers in interventionist ways, while conservative writers tend to have him let people help themselves unless there's a super-villain or terrorist or natural disaster or something.

I think disguising himself as a coffee shop would probably speed him up once the caffeine kicks in...and the sugar from the doughnuts.

As for being ragged by Bill Maher, isn't Superman the ultimate Democrat, thus being immune to his criticism?
    Regarding the coffee, I think you might be right but does caffeine effect Superman's body the same way it effects human people?

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    It doesn't really matter if Superman sleeps in. He can just fly backwards around the Earth and rewind time. So hey, he may sleep in all the time and we just don't know it :)
    This is what I thought of too! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Two Headed Sex Beast View Post
    Regarding the coffee, I think you might be right but does caffeine effect Superman's body the same way it effects human people?
    No, it doesn't. When Clark wakes up after having enough sleep, he's just fine and dandy. He drinks coffee because he likes the taste of it. Only when he has no powers, will he feel sluggish and thus drinks coffee the same way most folks do.

I slept in yesterday. True story.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I slept in yesterday. True story.