View Poll Results: View Poll Results:

Voters
46. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • End of Time's COLOMBIAN CAPTAIN (Colombia)

16 34.78%
  • atoningunifex's CAPTAIN AL-MAGHRIB (Morocco)

17 36.96%
  • AnkaleRa's BƆTSƆME (Togo)

20 43.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Project CBRunway 7: Challenge 3 Voting Thread

CHALLENGE 3: UNITED WE STAND

Welcome to Project CBRunway!

PLEASE VOTE for any and all entries you feel best complete the challenge. Please vote based on how well the challenge is met, not on art ability. Participants may vote for themselves. Designers will receive a point for each vote they receive. The three contestants who have accumulated the most votes over the eight weekly challenges will move on to CBR Fashion Week.

NOTE: Only registered CBR members with a posting history may vote. Any votes from posters sharing any IP addresses will not be counted, no exceptions. Any fraudulent voting will result in disqualification and a possible permanent forum ban.

CHALLENGE 3: UNITED WE STAND
    For your third challenge you must design a super-soldier uniform inspired by the flag and culture of a non-permanent United Nations Security Council member state. Designers will post two numbers, between 1 and 10, on a first-come, first served basis, and be randomly assigned two member states from which they may choose their inspiration. As with past challenges, it must be clear which country your uniform represents. You may give your uniform a "name" but remember: all submissions should include a three-sentence description of the costume explaining, to the best of your ability, material, functionality, design inspiration, etc. Do not provide any additional information such as biographies or power descriptions.

Please vote using the poll, then feel free to make comments or ask questions about this challenge or these designs within this thread. Now let's start the show...

Default End of Time's COLOMBIAN CAPTAIN (Colombia)

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time
    I took my inspiration from the flag and the fact that the Conquistadores landed in Colombia. Gold is one of the reasons why the natives suffered by the hands of the Spanish invaders, decimating their numbers in the process. The costume reflects that somewhat. The Spanish influences are more obvious, but there are some native colombian elements in there. The feathers are those of the Condor, which are represented in the crest of Colombia. It's a simple and sleek design.

Default atoningunifex's CAPTAIN AL-MAGHRIB (Morocco)

Quote Originally Posted by atoningunifex
    The Moroccan flag is very simple, a green star on a field of red, but is very dramatic and intense. I wanted to use the colors of the flag in an asymmetrical way to give the feeling of wind. I used the star of the flag over the good Captain's heart and as an accent on his boots and gloves.

Default AnkaleRa's BƆTSƆME (Togo)

Quote Originally Posted by AnkaleRa
    The uniform is made of military grade fabrics and materials; the patterns are inspired by the patterns of common kente cloth, a traditional fabric of Togo, creating a mixture of modern and traditional styles. The kente cloth comes from the Ewe people, who are a majority of Togo's population. The Ewe name "Bɔtsɔme" means "think of tomorrow".

AnkaleRa- you aced it! Great design! Love the use of textures and colors!
    Check out 2009's drawings at my new thread on the Artist & Writer Showcase.

"I prefer working out of strict continuity, because no normal human being can have a firm grip on the constantly shifting bardo-like territory of a comics universe, where entire histories can be erased by a strong enough super-sneeze."- Grant Morrison

End of Time's COLOMBIAN CAPTAIN (Colombia) - i love how it's illustrated - the expression on his softly rendered face is like dying to share a story - but i think the helm, the spear and the boots kinda clashed with the modern look of your character's torso and legs.

atoningunifex's CAPTAIN AL-MAGHRIB (Morocco) - the turban instantly grabbed my attention. and i have to agree that the assymetrical design gave it vigor - but imho that the star as accents on the extremities robbed that single star on the chest of it's meaning.

AnkaleRa's BƆTSƆME (Togo) - hah! what can i say?! i voted for you! Good job!
    Last edited by Aljira; 04-17-2012 at 10:59 AM.

It's Good to be King. king white's Avatar

End of Time's character looks like a super soldier. Atoningunufex's character looks like a Super-hero. AnkaleRa's Character looks like a palace guard.
    End of time's character not only seems to be the only entry that was designed as asked, it is the best executed as well. Nothing against the other entrants. . . but for the life of me I don't know what people are thinking on this forum. End of Time should be running away with this challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aljira View Post
    atoningunifex's CAPTAIN AL-MAGHRIB (Morocco) - the turban instantly grabbed my attention. and i have to agree that the assymetrical design gave it vigor - but imho that the star as accents on the extremities robbed that single star on the chest of it's meaning.
    I would definitely agree about the star accents. They didn't come out the way I wanted and it throws the look of a little. :)

"I prefer working out of strict continuity, because no normal human being can have a firm grip on the constantly shifting bardo-like territory of a comics universe, where entire histories can be erased by a strong enough super-sneeze."- Grant Morrison

The Hawk of New York LewMoxinsghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king white View Post
    End of Time's character looks like a super soldier. Atoningunufex's character looks like a Super-hero. AnkaleRa's Character looks like a palace guard.
    End of time's character not only seems to be the only entry that was designed as asked, it is the best executed as well. Nothing against the other entrants. . . but for the life of me I don't know what people are thinking on this forum. End of Time should be running away with this challenge.
    I voted before I saw this, but I totally agree. My main complaint with AnkaleRa's design is the superfluous chevrons on the sleeve, but the use of the traditional fabric was a really clever choice. With EoT's design, I can easily envision this character going on adventures and it makes me want to know more. Morocco was a tough choice, and while it's a pretty good stab at the idea, it comes across as not quite befitting of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by LewMoxinsghost View Post
    I voted before I saw this, but I totally agree. My main complaint with AnkaleRa's design is the superfluous chevrons on the sleeve, but the use of the traditional fabric was a really clever choice. With EoT's design, I can easily envision this character going on adventures and it makes me want to know more. Morocco was a tough choice, and while it's a pretty good stab at the idea, it comes across as not quite befitting of the country.
    I forgot to mention that the chevrons are a patch that denotes rank in the Togo military. Unfortunately, I forgot to color them. They should be, from top to bottom, yellow, red, red. It is the ranking for a Master Corporal.

Here's my notorious two cents.

First off, you guys both did great designs. I liked that all the designs came at things from different places. Unlike king white, I think we all addressed aspects of the "super soldier" idea and I really enjoyed looking at this grouping because they were so different.

End of Time- This is a very fun design. I like your overall use of color and the modern design lines. I really like the feather as an accent. My only spot of criticism is that my first thought was "Conquistador". You address that in your write-up, and I can see how there's some social commentary going on there, but on a strictly visual level it's a very strong image. Still, a really good image, tho. And you went full bore at the "soldier" part of "super soldier", as king white pointed out.

AnakaleRa- I really enjoy your use of color and texture in this design. I like the jacket, I like the gloves and boots, I like the star on the shoulder, I like the asymmetry, I like almost everything! I wish you had colored in the chevron, it did seem a bit tacked on. But that's a really, really minor issue for me. I think you really worked both aspects of the "super soldier" idea well. On first glance you were my clear choice for the win this week and looking at it more in depth I see nothing to change my opinion.

As for my own design- it wasn't the most inspired that I've ever had, but I like it. king white, the challenge was to design a super soldier. There's a lot of leeway in that traditionally. I didn't go with a soldier look because, quite frankly, the Moroccan military outfits bored me to tears and there's so much color and interesting line in Moroccan traditional fashion that I wanted to play with color and form more. I had grander plans for the star design, but I worked almost 60 hours last week and I just didn't have the energy to pull off what I had in mind. My design is definitely more "super hero" than soldier and I don't think that's a bad thing.

All-in-all an interesting round. I wish more people had participated. :)

I took "super soldier" to be "like Captain America for another country" so atoningunifex wins my vote. First design is super cute, but a bit Disney for me and the 3rd is sleek and stylish but says ambassador rather than SuperSoldier.

My thoughts:

EoT - I like it. *I feel it pulls in a good amount of inspiration from Colombian history and its flag. *I like the idea. *The combination of modern and historical is done relatively well. *My only gripe is the helmet. *I understand the idea behind it, but I don't think it fits the costume. *Side note: the four glowing blue piping please me greatly.

atoning - I think overall it's a good costume, there are only a few things I think should change. *Like Alijra, I don't like the stars on his gloves and boots, they make the chest star less powerful. *And I think it feels too spandex-y. *I really like the head wrap and want to see more pieces that are similar to that. *Also, I do love the line work/designs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbib View Post
    Love the Columbia captain.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Hello. Welcome to the Runway. As you know, in fashion and in comic books, one day you're in and the next you're out.

AnkaleRa, congratulations, you are the winner of this challenge, having earned 20 points. End of Time and atoningunifex, great job! This was a very close challenge.

Will we see our other three participants return in the nextd round? Let's find out.

Auf Wiedersehen!