Thread: Fairest #2

Default Fairest #2

I didn't see a thread for this issue so I thought I'd start one.

Enjoyed the issue, the pack and forth between Ali Baba and Briar Rose is entertaining. Very curious to learn more about what seems to be the Ice Queen's origin. Really enjoying this Fables spinoff after 2 issues. Only negative I had in regards to this issue was the poor quality of the paper they used to print Jimenez's beautiful art on.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

BANNED

I'm afraid I unfortunately must agree with you, to the detriment of my wallet.

I expected and was hoping for a book I could say wasn't worth buying so I could save some much needed cash. Sadly, that wasn't the case. Well written, and the art was very well colored with the pencils having point of view just perfectly placed; though as you said the poor paperstock did show here. It was very noticeable.

I believe the winter queen is going to be trouble, and lots of it, before this is over and done with. I also predict Ali Baba's character will last a while. He's a witty rogue, and those characters do tend to shine through in a story. I'm not too sure of the "sort of genie" however, he just kind of annoyed me. One moment he's all-knowing, the next nothing is much too cliche. "I know everything except the one thing we need to know right now to make our lives easier"? Really?

I'm also not sure SB is a good fit here, but I'll give her a shot. She played better against the backdrop of New York city. Here, she's really just another princess. A better fit would be a no-nonsense Snow White/Cinderella type to put Ali Baba in his place.

All in all, the first two issues could have moved a bit faster, but they weren't too slow. We'll see if this book can keep up the pace and quality.

Do you need to read the main Fables series so a new reader won't be lost in this series? I plan on reading Fables one day, but this new series looks like a perfect time to start with the new ongoing book now

BANNED

You can follow it okay without reading Fables, but to enjoy it fully you should really pick up the Fables trades. They're well worth it, you know...

This is an off shoot of Fables and I think the back story of the characters is important. I would start with Fables back issues or trades. Though with only two issues out, and with exceptional art at that, you have nothing to lose by trying it.

My only complaint again is that the paper they are using is ill suited for Phil's art. It needs to be crisp and sharp.
    Last edited by edhopper; 04-22-2012 at 10:08 AM.