Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 508
  1. #256
    Poolryuken Kusanagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta Formerly Detroit
    Posts
    2,274

    Default

    Don't really see how this is a debate, the most popular property in pop culture is almost always going to be the one who made the most recent big splash. X-men haven't had a big movie since X-2 and while first class was a quality movie, it never really resonated with the general public. The Avengers just shattered box office records, and just about everyone is talking about it in some fashion. Until the people at FOX get their act together and get the X franchise moving again, or failing that Marvel pulls another amazing X cartoon out of their butt the the Avengers are going to dominate the Mainstream audience.

    Now if you want to talk comic audiences that's a whole different thread.
    Liked Deadpool before it was cool...

  2. #257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    1978 - Superman
    1980 - Superman 2
    1983 - Superman 3
    1984 - Supergirl
    1987 - Superman 4
    1989 - Punisher, Batman
    1992 - Batman Returns
    1995 - Batman Forever
    1997 - Steel, Batman and Robin
    1998 - Blade
    2000 - X-Men
    2002 - Spider-Man, Blade 2
    2003 - Daredevil, X-Men 2, Hulk
    2004 - Catwoman, The Punisher, Spider-Man 2, Blade Trinity
    2005 - Elektra, Fantastic Four, Batman Begins
    2006 - X-Men 3, Superman Returns
    2007 - Ghost Rider, Spider-Man 3, Fantastic Four 2
    2008 - Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, The Dark Knight, Punisher War Zone
    2009 - Watchmen, Wolverine
    2010 - Iron Man 2
    2011 - Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern, X-men 1st Class
    2012 - Avengers, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider-Man, Ghost Rider 2
    Fixed it for ya. And Spawn if you consider Image a real superhero company.
    Last edited by WaveHeater; 05-08-2012 at 11:25 AM.

  3. #258
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,244

    Default

    This whole argument is ridiculous.

  4. #259

    Default

    Just for everyone's info:


    Accounting for 3d Upcharge and inflation the highest grossing X-Men Film, X-Men III, made a worldwide total of around $583,587,490.73.

    I'm not very good at math though so I may have calculated wrong.

    The formula I used was: [Total Gross X Infaltion Rate] x .52* x 1.25** + [Total Gross X Infaltion Rate] x .48***


    *(52% of Avengers sales were 3D)
    ** (25% 3D Upcharge, at my theater)
    *** (Regular ticket sales)


    If I did that wrong please feel free to correct. I'm interested in how the Box-office totals compare factoring Inflation and 3D.
    Last edited by Brandon McKinnis; 05-08-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

  5. #260
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    So it seems Avengers has made 700 million WW in 14 days. Wouldn't be surprised if it outgrosses the entire X franchise combined at this point.

  6. #261
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaveHeater View Post
    Wolverine > Any avenger
    JEAN Grey > Any Avenger Chick
    Magneto/Juggernaut > ANy Avenger Villain

    The Avengers as individuals have very poor rogues galleries. Loki is literally the only decent Villain between the Big 4. They have to borrow from Silver Surfer, Spidey, F4, and the Mutant baddies in order to get effective challengers.

    The only reason Avengers seems to be winning is because of these 3 letters: R D J
    Don't be fucking stupid. You telling me Avengers has made 700 million in 14 days because of RDJ?

    And Avengers doesn't "borrow" villains. The big villains are Avengers villains because they are the big team of the Marvel Universe. Poor rogues gallery. Yea ok. Ultron, Kang, Thanos... need i go on?

    How about as individuals?

    Captain America: Red Skull, Baron Zemo, AIM, Hydra
    Thor: Loki, Enchantress, The Destroyer, The Executioner, The Celestials, Mangog, Surtur
    Hulk: A-Bomb, The Leader, General Ross
    Iron Man probably has the weakest rogue gallery in terms of depth, but he has the Mandarin. And he's an interesting character with or without villains.

    Stop being a silly little fanboy/fangirl and just accept this and move on. It's not really a big deal, but your strawman arguments are making you look silly.
    Last edited by Lord Bravery; 05-08-2012 at 11:55 AM.

  7. #262
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    That logic is flawed. The Avenger's so called "big 3" were established heroes before becoming the homoerotic team they are now. So they had decades to establish themselves as heroes before Avengers. The X-men are the opposite. But when you look at them as a whole, the X-Men are a much solid team, more varied characters with the premise that many can identify with.


    Someone is trying too hard to embarrass themselves.

  8. #263
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    So it seems Avengers has made 700 million WW in 14 days. Wouldn't be surprised if it outgrosses the entire X franchise combined at this point.
    At this point, I'm pretty sure more people will see the Avengers movie that any X-men movie or cartoon.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  9. #264
    BANNED Jake V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    So it seems Avengers has made 700 million WW in 14 days. Wouldn't be surprised if it outgrosses the entire X franchise combined at this point.
    For any movie other than Avatar to close in on 1.9 billion is kind of a stretch. it could very well come close though.

  10. #265
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    For any movie other than Avatar to close in on 1.9 billion is kind of a stretch. it could very well come close though.
    Yea, it needs really small drops to get there and to remain no1 at the box office throughout the whole of May. It's possible though. I think 1.5 billion is a more realistic number.

    At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Marvel is Marvel, we should be celebrating. I can't quite believe X-Men fans are so fanatical they are begrudging the Avengers success. It's absurd to me.

    I mean DC fans? I can understand, even though i find the Marvel vs DC thing is for children.

  11. #266
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Wakanda
    Posts
    17,276

    Default

    Wow...X fans seem bitter. The Avengers are bigger. Suck it up.

  12. #267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    You don't get the point. So dense.
    He's just having fun with you, because your franchise of choice is now second best.
    In the future the x-men could regain their prominence, and the gap is pretty narrow, so it wouldn't take much to put them back on top.
    Just a record breaking blockbuster smash movie the entire world loves.
    Have you got one of those?

  13. #268
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    Wow...X fans seem bitter. The Avengers are bigger. Suck it up.
    Hell, I'm not bitter - I'm kinda stoked for the future of the X-Men franchise. I'm hoping that it's really going to raise the bar in what audiences will expect for a "team" movie, and from writer through director, the other studios are going to have to ramp it up to compete and meet our expectations.

  14. #269
    Phrasing AgentFelix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,002

    Default

    gracias! whipped it out real quick, apologize for missed ones.

  15. #270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    Yea, it needs really small drops to get there and to remain no1 at the box office throughout the whole of May. It's possible though. I think 1.5 billion is a more realistic number.

    At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Marvel is Marvel, we should be celebrating. I can't quite believe X-Men fans are so fanatical they are begrudging the Avengers success. It's absurd to me.

    I mean DC fans? I can understand, even though i find the Marvel vs DC thing is for children.
    Agreed. I generally liked the X-Men films even though I'm not a fan of the comics at all. I see their success as a good thing for comics fans in general. I really don't understand why some X-Fans seem to want Avengers to fail.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •