Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    No matter how hard Avengers is pushed, X-men always stay on top and has been for decades and will continue that trend.
    So what you're saying is that the X-Men are like the American car industry.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    The short answer yes.

You go anywhere you see Avengers and it's at a all time high, it's has redefined the comic book movie and team.
    First Class dropped, no toys, Anime was a joke and mostly panned. It's likely *not change while it's under Fox! Marvel flag ship is the Avengers. Disney's cash cow and priority is the Avengers, not the X-men. The Avengers is the franchise that makes them the most money.

First Class came out, a soft reboot, heardly any toys, kids books or anything. The G4 Anime was critically panned, Wolverine first move the same. No one is talking about the X-men. Walk into your Target, Walmarts, or local grocery...you see kids books telling the origins of the Avengers..and this has been going on since Ironman.

It occurs..when christopher reeve nailed Superman..that was the it franchise, until Tim Burtons Batman, and then the current Batman. Superman isn't bigger then Batman right now. It could change though.

The Avengers = Batman
    The X-men = Superman

Right now the Avengers are just as well known...and are probably more so because of this film...and the others will just seal the deal.
    Regardless of what Disney and Fox want.. and how much money these movies are making.. X-Men have way more pop culture relevance than the Avengers. I'm not talking about the movies here. Yeah everyone's heard of the Avengers now. And everyone always knew who Captain America, Hulk and Thor were. But if you asked someone to name an Avenger a year ago, could they? Maybe a few people. But I'd guess that anytime in the past 20 years if you asked anyone to name an x-man they'd give you wolverine, cyclopse, gambit, and more. They're as pop culture as the ninja turtles. Animated '90s TV show+Arcade game= pop culture mogul.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Regardless of what Disney and Fox want.. and how much money these movies are making.. X-Men have way more pop culture relevance than the Avengers. I'm not talking about the movies here. Yeah everyone's heard of the Avengers now. And everyone always knew who Captain America, Hulk and Thor were. But if you asked someone to name an Avenger a year ago, could they? Maybe a few people. But I'd guess that anytime in the past 20 years if you asked anyone to name an x-man they'd give you wolverine, cyclopse, gambit, and more. They're as pop culture as the ninja turtles. Animated '90s TV show+Arcade game= pop culture mogul.
    So you're saying they're as relevant as HR Puffinstuff circa 1992.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    So you're saying they're as relevant as HR Puffinstuff circa 1992.
    Relevant is a right now word. Pop Culture is more longterm. The Avengers are way more relevant than H.R. PuffinStuff, but despite my hatred for H.R. Puffinstuff, it's got more pop culture cred.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Relevant is a right now word. Pop Culture is more longterm. The Avengers are way more relevant than H.R. PuffinStuff, but despite my hatred for H.R. Puffinstuff, it's got more pop culture cred.
    Thats an interesting theory, care to back it up with some sort of tests or statistics?

Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    No matter how hard Avengers is pushed, X-men always stay on top and has been for decades and will continue that trend.
    What a well thought out opinion Mr. X-men_Always_Win. You are a valued member of this debate don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega;
    The main Avengers (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk) aren't that obscure and are becoming less so as the months go by.

Now I agree that the Xmen's biggest advantage in that area is the 90's cartoon since it ran for years on network T.V.
    Popularity and looking at an iconic character that can bring sales then Spidey is at the top but I still don't count him as a true Avenger, Ironman ranks next, Wolverine, Cap, Hulk and Thor are near the same level with Wolverine having a significant lead

Most 'A' list X Men are now Avengers - whether they're actually members like Havok, Rogue and Wolverine, or affiliated with them like the teachers and pupils at the JGI. So it doesn't really matter now which is the bigger franchise - they've become one.

The X-men are big in pop culture?

Don't forget that "pop culture" can also include "newly discovered" things, that are actually older...

As someone that recently started collecting comics, X-men was and still more popular than Avengers, and that definitely can be said about the general population.

Now none superheroes can beat Batman, he is like the Mario of gaming, everyone knows who is Batman like everyone know who is Mario. For Marvel, Spider-man still at the top, and its going to take a while for Avengers to get that level of recognition. Even I, don't even know the full list of Avengers, and the only villain I know is Thanos, I think that is not even for Avengers, he is from Iron Man. And I only know of him because of the movie.

The question here is, how many villain the general population know about this franchise, or any comic book franchise? The top will be Batman, and Spider-man, both have some of the best rouge villain gallery. Example, I ask my brother a few weeks ago to name five villain for Batman, no problem, for Spider-man, no problem, for Superman, he couldn't tell me, for X-men, he only mentioned Magneto and Sabretooth, and for Avengers, none.

I think Marvel is trying to shift the "Avengers" idea until it covers their whole fictional universe. Look at the Facebook game, for example. It has more pure x-men characters than pure avengers characters (I do not count Daredevil or Iron Fist as avengers in this sense) and still the name is Marvel Avengers Alliance, instead of Marvel Universe or something like that.

I think also that the x-men are more famous as a group than the avengers, although the movies are changing that as we speak. Meaning, until now pretty much everyone had an idea about who Captain America was, but most people did not associate him with other avengers. Other detail to take into account is that the x-men have more characters known to the big public than the avengers do, probably because their exposure started to be bigger with the television series like what, twenty years ago?. Then again, I am not american, and I do not know if the situation there is different.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Though the Avengers clearly blossomed in the last decade, I don't think anyone can really argue the X-Men didn't get plenty of focus.

After Decimation I seriously felt like every other X-Men story arc was an event.
    The problem with that was that Decimation gutted the main theme of the X-men. C Xavier's dream became irrelevant when the race was dying.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied