Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 508
  1. #211
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
    I think we'll have to wait and see how the Spiderman reboot does before we can say one way or another.
    True but I'm not really sure about X-men as a massive movie franchise anymore.

    Between X-men Origins: Wolverine and X-men 3, the movie franchise has been practically run to the ground. This reflected in X-men:First Class's moderate success.

    I hope Fox can resuscitate the X-franchise but frankly their approach to the movies and their disregard of the source material is really tying them in knots.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  2. #212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ofpromise View Post
    Someone's obviously bias.

    I agree with the other above posters. The thing that really makes Avengers more successful than X-Men is that each member of the "major" Avengers can hold their own solo book nowadays. The same cannot be said for the marvelous muties.

    Just how many books does Storm have now? (Not counting team stuff of course..)
    That logic is flawed. The Avenger's so called "big 3" were established heroes before becoming the homoerotic team they are now. So they had decades to establish themselves as heroes before Avengers. The X-men are the opposite. But when you look at them as a whole, the X-Men are a much solid team, more varied characters with the premise that many can identify with.


  3. #213
    Ororo Munroe's #1 Fan RLAAMJR.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Inside Storm's Heart
    Posts
    10,110

    Default

    the answer to this thread is the name of the poster above me. : )
    Ororo Munroe: I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

  4. #214
    So Damned Pymp IronPalm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    500

    Default

    This has been answered, mods should lock this thread.
    Pull List: Thor, Journey Into Mystery, Captain America, Avenger's, New Avenger's, AvX, Super Crooks, Secret Service, Voodoo Child, Vescell, America's Got Powers, Wolverine and the X-Men

  5. #215
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    It has been answered, with the thing that talks the loudest; $$$.

    The X-Men's time is up as far as being the most popular Marvel property. As long as Fox and Matt Vaughn continue to make movies as good as First Class though, who cares?

  6. #216
    BANNED Jake V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    Says who, you? Lol go look at the sales figures for last 6 months to a year and X-men titles dominate.
    It's so cute how you think comic book sales are at all relevant to pop culture. You know barely anyone reads comics, right?

    People do see movies though. Lots of people. Enough people to make Avengers the largest opening of all time and make over 600 million in 12 days.

  7. #217
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    The Avengers have moved beyond just being "comic book" characters. They have become the newest multi-billion dollar movie franchise, which may reach a thousand times the number of fans that the comics ever could. Over half the audience for Avengers was under 25, and 40% of it was female. There's an entire generation that's growing up with the Avengers as the premiere superhero team in the world, and that's not going to change. The X-Men have enjoyed moderate success, and have a passionate fanbase, but they are niche characters. Truthfully, if not for Wolverine, they probably would have never made it to the second movie.

    The last four years have seen a seismic shift in the balance of power. Like others have already said, just be glad the X-Books are still produced with top-level talent. That's more respect than the Avengers received when they spent most of the 90s being forgotten.

  8. #218
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    When all is said and done Avengers alone might outgross the entire X franchise. It'll probably finish around 1.5 billion. What's the combine total for the X movies?

  9. #219
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    It has been answered, with the thing that talks the loudest; $$$.
    really? Ghost Rider made a good chunk of change. and Bendis books have done considerably better than the comics that the Avengers movie was based off of.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  10. #220
    Harley Licks Nite-Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,068

    Default

    How many team books can the Avengers support 4? Maybe 5
    How many solo titles can they support 3 maybe 4
    The X-men can double these numbers on a bad day

    Yeah the X-men are still more popular than the Avengers. The X-men started the superhero movie genre
    The Avengers being insanely popular is good but its nothing like being the innovator. Marvel's whole team concept as a success was born out of the X-men. If you want to say in terms of pop culture I guess the Avengers are more socially relevant now because there's such a push behind them but they still haven't reached the X-men at the plateau yet.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

  11. #221
    BANNED Jake V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    When all is said and done Avengers alone might outgross the entire X franchise. It'll probably finish around 1.5 billion. What's the combine total for the X movies?
    Worldwide, the X-movies have made $1,890,097,619 according to www.boxofficemojo.com

    conversely, the Avengers movies have made $2,681,881,242 and Avengers is still making money.

  12. #222
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Bollox. Joss Whedon, on his first try, just made the best team up superhero movie there is. He just schooled the people who made the X movies on how to do it properly. The X films never really had a sense of a team working together. Too many characters got short changed. Avengers? Not really. The final battle is the ultimate superhero team up experience in live action.

    And Ghost Rider made a nice chunk of change? What, 260 million of a 120 million dollar budget?

    Avengers will make over a billion dollars. It made 207 million in 3 days. It's a pop culture phenomenon. You don't get those kinds of numbers from fanboys going to the cinema.

  13. #223
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    True but I'm not really sure about X-men as a massive movie franchise anymore.

    Between X-men Origins: Wolverine and X-men 3, the movie franchise has been practically run to the ground. This reflected in X-men:First Class's moderate success.

    I hope Fox can resuscitate the X-franchise but frankly their approach to the movies and their disregard of the source material is really tying them in knots.
    all of this just reminds me of how underwhelmed i was with Iron Man 2. talk about running something into the ground. he fought evil armored people in both movies. i about fell asleep in between his fight with Rhodey and him finally geting the message his father was trying to deliver him. other than that, it was a crapload of talking. i'm glad they made the patter more snappy for the Avengers movie. you folks are bragging about the a movie that draws upon several different fanbases. if you removed any of the avengers (besides maybe Hawkeye) and the movie would have sucked. imagine it without the Hulk. X-Men First Class was great despite a crap story. Magneto never had a solo movie. Xavier never had a solo movie. Sebastian Shaw never had a solo movie. but they killed every scene they were in/completey made up for the kid-geared new mutant scenes.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  14. #224
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    Bollox. Joss Whedon, on his first try, just made the best team up superhero movie there is. He just schooled the people who made the X movies on how to do it properly. The X films never really had a sense of a team working together. Too many characters got short changed. Avengers? Not really. The final battle is the ultimate superhero team up experience in live action.

    And Ghost Rider made a nice chunk of change? What, 260 million of a 120 million dollar budget?

    Avengers will make over a billion dollars. It made 207 million in 3 days. It's a pop culture phenomenon. You don't get those kinds of numbers from fanboys going to the cinema.
    schooled them on what? making a bunch of lackluster solo movies before combining everything? how would they do that? you're comparing apples and oranges. do you think the Fantastic Four will each get separate movies to build fanbases?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  15. #225
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    all of this just reminds me of how underwhelmed i was with Iron Man 2. talk about running something into the ground. he fought evil armored people in both movies. i about fell asleep in between his fight with Rhodey and him finally geting the message his father was trying to deliver him. other than that, it was a crapload of talking. i'm glad they made the patter more snappy for the Avengers movie. you folks are bragging about the a movie that draws upon several different fanbases. if you removed any of the avengers (besides maybe Hawkeye) and the movie would have sucked. imagine it without the Hulk. X-Men First Class was great despite a crap story. Magneto never had a solo movie. Xavier never had a solo movie. Sebastian Shaw never had a solo movie. but they killed every scene they were in/completey made up for the kid-geared new mutant scenes.
    What sort of logic is this? Avengers would be crap if you removed any of the Avengers?

    Yea, what would happen if you removed Wolverine and Iceman and Magneto from X2? What would happen if you removed Erik and Charles from First Class?

    X2 and First Class are great movies. But they are not really team movies. 2 or 3 characters get the spot light, the rest are just kinda there. Avengers is the first real team movie.

    And it's going to make over a billion dollars and is a cultural phenomenon.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •