Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ronin View Post
    whoa, its the Grandma test not the Great Grandma test.

And popular culture much wider than the youth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Hulk TV show with Bill Bixby was very popular back in its day so there's a generation of non-comic book types that know him from that time. Everyone pretty much knows what it means to Hulk out when you get angry....and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry. That was a popular catch phrase. The show was even respected within the TV industry and it got some Emmy nominations. Yeah, Lou Ferrigno looks kind of cheesy today but the acting was top notch and they didn't make a joke out of it or camp it up like the Adam West Batman.
    I quote Iron Maiden to prove a point to you ronin,Your Grandma learned about Hulk,Superman,Wonder Woman or Batman because they where on TV shows because even then comics where still something of niche.There was no Internet,no 100 million ad campaign,hell every house might not have had TV or cable.Today every house has cable and Internet ,most kids have a TV in their room or computer and even if they don't they cell phone or Mp3 player.

What is a bigger population group people 40-70 or people 6 to 30?

Does every Grandma know about comic book characters? No but the vast majority kids to teenagers know about comics characters even if they don't follow it they are flood with ads and media about them not to mention many of them watch the cartoons when they where young kids.

If they are 600,000 grandmas who know comic characters,then they are 1 million kids to young adults who know about the Avengers in some form due advertising in media heavy era.

I would make a bet if we could do the polls,I willing to bet that Superman and Wonderwoman are more know through a wider age range aka 6 to 70 but iron man and green lantern are more known to people 6 to 30 and high percentage something like 80% to 90% and since that higher populate group more popular know about those characters.

Grandma knowing does not mean much if almost every kid in the US in elementary knows about it and there is Avenger cartoon that every kid would come across at some point or avenger commercial that every kid would have seen at some point

lol i saw ronin and thought you were going at me
    http://reverbnation.com/roninakacmil

"put haters to the left i aint lettin 'em win,
    Cuz i got mind soul and power like infinity gems"

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dqpk7c.jpg

It's not a question of if Captain America, Iron Man, or Thor is bigger in pop culture than Wolverine or any one of the X-Men. It's the entirety of the Avengers vs. the entirety of the X-Men. I highly doubt most people can name Avengers outside of Cap, Tony, and Thor. It's also silly to assert that Wolverine is the only X-man people can recall. The X-Men have put forth a lot more of their characters than the Avengers have.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin1108 View Post
    The Avengers are the definite hotter product at this point, but X-men's been around since the late eighties really so they'll always be in the water cooler hero convos. As a MU fan, Im just happy pretty much each genre has sumone reppin it (hero epic- avengers, terrible noir - DD, even more terrible dark/goth- Ghost Rider, Scifi - Xmen). I'll take that kinda deep talent pool then having to rely on batman all the time
    I hope you are making a statement referring to your own memories of cartoons, etc. Marvel cartoons, in more primitive form, were around in the early 1970s. There was a Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, etc cartoons even back then. There were also far more readers of the monthlies. If a comic sold 200,000 in the Silver Age, that was an average month. Today it's a blockbuster like AvX.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post
    It's not a question of if Captain America, Iron Man, or Thor is bigger in pop culture than Wolverine or any one of the X-Men. It's the entirety of the Avengers vs. the entirety of the X-Men. I highly doubt most people can name Avengers outside of Cap, Tony, and Thor. It's also silly to assert that Wolverine is the only X-man people can recall. The X-Men have put forth a lot more of their characters than the Avengers have.
    I doubt that most people can even name that many X-Men, even Wolverine. They may know and recognize the name X-Men, but if they are not at all intrested in comics, it'll go something like: "That guy that Hugh Jackman played with the claws" or "the white haired woman" or "the dude with the shades and lazer eyes". Avengers as a team concept may be just now becoming popular, and I'd say, as that, it already rivals the X-Men (though not surpasses). However, the individual popularity of many of it's members idsmuch higher than the team identity. How many people never heard of the name Avengers, but are familiar with the name Justice League? For them, that was the team of the greatest super-heroes of all, and the average non-comic fan Joe, doesn't have any idea that you have Marvel heroes and DC heroes. I've lost count of how many times I've been asked if Aquaman will be in the Avengers movie, or whay Green Lantern isn't in it. Captain America, Spider-Man, Hulk, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barbie, Ben 10, heck maybe even Aquaman, all have a much higher name-brand recognition factor than Wolverine, the most popular X-Men. And I'll say that Thor and Iron Man may be head to head with him.
    So, short answer, any way you look at it, it's on it's way to getting there, and I don't see X-Men recovering the lost ground.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I doubt that most people can even name that many X-Men, even Wolverine. They may know and recognize the name X-Men, but if they are not at all intrested in comics, it'll go something like: "That guy that Hugh Jackman played with the claws" or "the white haired woman" or "the dude with the shades and lazer eyes". Avengers as a team concept may be just now becoming popular, and I'd say, as that, it already rivals the X-Men (though not surpasses). However, the individual popularity of many of it's members idsmuch higher than the team identity. How many people never heard of the name Avengers, but are familiar with the name Justice League? For them, that was the team of the greatest super-heroes of all, and the average non-comic fan Joe, doesn't have any idea that you have Marvel heroes and DC heroes. I've lost count of how many times I've been asked if Aquaman will be in the Avengers movie, or whay Green Lantern isn't in it. Captain America, Spider-Man, Hulk, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Barbie, Ben 10, heck maybe even Aquaman, all have a much higher name-brand recognition factor than Wolverine, the most popular X-Men. And I'll say that Thor and Iron Man may be head to head with him.
    So, short answer, any way you look at it, it's on it's way to getting there, and I don't see X-Men recovering the lost ground.

Peace
    I really don't agree. I know plenty of people who don't read comics or watch modern day Marvel cartoons but can name plenty of X Men and a couple of X Men villains. They certainly can't do the same for the Avengers. I'll agree that the Avengers have definitely seen a rise in the public eye as of late, but they certainly haven't overshadowed the X-Men. I don't think the Avengers have risen to any great heights just yet. Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor may have, but the Avengers as a whole are still far behind. They're certainly a position to rise up, but even if they do, I doubt they'll ever overshadow the X-Men.

I really don't agree.
    And that's your right. Cool.

Peace

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

I really don't agree. I know plenty of people who don't read comics or watch modern day Marvel cartoons but can name plenty of X Men and a couple of X Men villains. They certainly can't do the same for the Avengers. I'll agree that the Avengers have definitely seen a rise in the public eye as of late, but they certainly haven't overshadowed the X-Men. I don't think the Avengers have risen to any great heights just yet. Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor may have, but the Avengers as a whole are still far behind. They're certainly a position to rise up, but even if they do, I doubt they'll ever overshadow the X-Men.
    Heh....people probably felt the same way when talking about the Fantastic Four compared to the X-Men back in the Silver Age. Remember, the X-Men were canceled. Time marches on and the X-Men are going have a hard time regaining their rank as long as Marvel doesn't own the movie rights. What was true when you were a kid and watching cartoons doesn't compare with what kids are seeing now. Superhero Squad consists of mostly Avengers characters. You have Earth's Mightiest. Look at any JCP kids clothes department and count how many Cap, Thor, Spider-Man, Hulk and Iron Man shirts you see and then count up the X-Men ones. It's not even close.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Not to be a jerk but, what does this matter in even the slightest way? Who cares outside of some cliqueish fanboys?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

quick google search of "X-Men Merchandise" turned up 39,200,000 results
    quick google search of "Avengers Merchandise" turned up 18,500,000 results
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

"Doctor Doom merchandise" About 290,000 results
    "Magneto merchandise" About 5,660,000 results
    "Loki merchandise" About 924,000 results

doctor doom t-shirt results 193
    magneto t-shirt 222
    loki t-shirt 925

so he's definately winning in that department

this all does point to the Fantastic Four being completely irrelevant, though.
    Last edited by Monty_Cristo; 04-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Superman or Batman?
    `
    Peace

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Not that it matters, but the X-Men still have decades of pop cultural inertia behind them. Most of the Avengers are still relatively obscure.

I know people, who know next to nothing about comics, that are still angry that Gambit wasn't in the movie and that they "screwed Rogue all up" (all because they liked the 90s cartoon).
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    Not that it matters, but the X-Men still have decades of pop cultural inertia behind them. Most of the Avengers are still relatively obscure.

I know people, who know next to nothing about comics, that are still angry that Gambit wasn't in the movie and that they "screwed Rogue all up" (all because they liked the 90s cartoon).
    The main Avengers (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk) aren't that obscure and are becoming less so as the months go by.

Now I agree that the Xmen's biggest advantage in that area is the 90's cartoon since it ran for years on network T.V.

Avengers: United they Stand was on network tv but only lasted a season(and was crap besides). Avengers: EMH is a great show, but its on a cable station almost nobody has.

And to back up Monte, Spider Man is on a whole other level from even the Xmen since he's had a cartoon out or out on reruns every decade since the sixties.

IMO, Spider-Man is on a level that only Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman can touch in that area(with Hulk close behind).

I think that right now the Avengers are more popular with the general public. By group name, the X-Men are still a popular property, but with Marvel having the rights to the Avengers films, combined with their dedication to the source material, it's to be expected.

Another point to remember is that when the avengers comic launched; Hulk, iron man and Thor were already established characters and soon after featured the revitalized cap. This was mimicked in the films giving the public time to digest and appreciate each character and their origin and creating attachments to the characters by the viewers.

X-men was a team from the beginning, in comic and film. Outside of viewers who all can't help but remember wolverine, the films never gave the public a reason to feel connected to any other character, outside of maybe rogue...everyone seems like cannon fodder.
    I think that Fox's approach to the X-men property is almost just as responsible for Avenger's moving ahead as a property.

Plus avengers just kick ass, lol
    Pull List: Thor, Journey Into Mystery, Captain America, Avenger's, New Avenger's, AvX, Super Crooks, Secret Service, Voodoo Child, Vescell, America's Got Powers, Wolverine and the X-Men