Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

No. What the hell are you smoking?
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

X-men kill Avengers in popularity. Just go to a comic convention and you will see that.

Quote Originally Posted by x-men_always_win View Post
    X-men kill Avengers in popularity. Just go to a comic convention and you will see that.
    Just went to one last month. Way, way, way more little kids dressed as Captain America than Wolverine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	544761_3376957578653_1110766671_3314831_850964440_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	91961
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    The grandma test is rather grim tho', don't you think? Because according to that test, there is only 3 fictional characters in all of comic-dom, heck, perhaps all of fantastical fiction:

Superman, Batman, ( notice how these are not marvel-characters) and POSSIBLY, but not always, Spider-man.

No Wonder Woman, no Green Lantern, no Captain America, no Iron Man.

3 characters. 3 franchises, no more, no less.
    Welcome to the reality of how many people care about the things you love.

Love the things you love because you love them. All else is irrelevant.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Not that you're biased or anything...
    Life looks better in black and white.

I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar

In pop culture? It's not even close.

Avengers have some of the most recognizable characters Marvel's ever created. Everyone knows who Captain America, Hulk, Thor and Iron Man are as names, even if they aren't familiar with their background and details. Thor has the advantage of having a popular mythological name, so even if you never read a Thor comic, the name itself pretty much tells you what he is.

X-Men have Wolverine who is more popular than a lot of Avengers, but he's just one character. Most X-Men don't lend themselves to fame and iconic status as well as Avengers because even their costumes aren't as recognizable and they keep changing. Everyone recognizes Captain America's outfit.

The Avengers movie will be massive, and make more money then the entire X-men trilogy, if not all five X movies.

As for "going to comic cons" to see who's more popular--that makes no sense. Those are hardcore fans, not the general public. And it just means X fans are nerdier

Quote Originally Posted by lurchadamo View Post
    I also think whats helped the Avengers is that They were all individual big budget films being brought together in a team movie, this is something we have not seen....
    True. it's this gargantuan amount of awesomeness thats luring these impressionable youths to the Avengers-side. tsk tsk.

and i dunno if this grandma test will work here in the Philippines, but i sure know one thing - ask anyone who grew up during the nineties and they'll be more on the x-men side....ask the young children these days and they'd be more on the avengers side.

I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar

The grandma test seems illogical to me. Pop culture is basically by and for young people, so what's the point of asking a 90 year old? How are you going to find out what's hot in pop culture right now, by asking someone who's youth was in the 40's and is afraid to go out after 9 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Custo View Post
    The grandma test seems illogical to me. Pop culture is basically by and for young people, so what's the point of asking a 90 year old? How are you going to find out what's hot in pop culture right now, by asking someone who's youth was in the 40's and is afraid to go out after 9 pm.
    whoa, its the Grandma test not the Great Grandma test.

And popular culture much wider than the youth.

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

I'm outside the US at the moment and I can safely say that more people know Iron Man than any one X-man except Wolverine.

Blockbuster movies tend to increase characters popularity exponentially.

IMO, Chris Hemsworth is the new Hugh Jackman. It seems the girls love the big blonde man swinging his big hammer.
    Last edited by USERNAME TAKEN; 04-17-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

BANNED

I don't know. The X-Men films and cartoons did manage to build up quite an audience during their heyday. I don't think we should underestimate how big of an impact they had. They may not be as popular as they once were, and the Avengers franchise is perhaps the most popular as it's ever been, but I don't the X-Franchise should be counted out.

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    I'm outside the US at the moment and I can safely say that more people know Iron Man than any one X-man except Wolverine.

Blockbuster movies tend to increase characters popularity exponentially.

IMO, Chris Hemsworth is the new Hugh Jackman. It seems the girls love the big blonde man swinging his big hammer.
    Plus, he may or may not be cheating on his brother and banging Miley Cyrus.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ronin View Post
    Agreed, though The Hulk. hes lost his popularity in recent decades but The Hulk is up there among older folks. I can't argue hes as popular as Spider-Man or anything, but the Hulk is surprisingly popular among groups you'd not think about!

Maybe that will change after The Avengers though hah we will see!
    The Hulk TV show with Bill Bixby was very popular back in its day so there's a generation of non-comic book types that know him from that time. Everyone pretty much knows what it means to Hulk out when you get angry....and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry. That was a popular catch phrase. The show was even respected within the TV industry and it got some Emmy nominations. Yeah, Lou Ferrigno looks kind of cheesy today but the acting was top notch and they didn't make a joke out of it or camp it up like the Adam West Batman.

Heh....just went to C2 E2 and you're wrong on that point. In stores there is way more Avengers merchandise. Kids are wearing the Captain America, Thor or Iron Man shirts today.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Confused by custom titles

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    As this stage, I think Disney will only get the rights for Spider-man and X-men when hell freezes over.

Sony and Fox will do everything possible to hold onto those rights forever.

Even if it means re-boots on and on...
    Yes. That sucks big time. Spidey has been okay but X-Men has been all over the place...

The Avengers are the definite hotter product at this point, but X-men's been around since the late eighties really so they'll always be in the water cooler hero convos. As a MU fan, Im just happy pretty much each genre has sumone reppin it (hero epic- avengers, terrible noir - DD, even more terrible dark/goth- Ghost Rider, Scifi - Xmen). I'll take that kinda deep talent pool then having to rely on batman all the time
    http://reverbnation.com/roninakacmil

"put haters to the left i aint lettin 'em win,
    Cuz i got mind soul and power like infinity gems"

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dqpk7c.jpg