Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Lord of Apokolips The Black One's Avatar

Default Avengers vs. X-Men: How much PIS can they manage?

The upcoming AvX storyline will be ripe for PIS. Just how much overclocking and understaing do you think they'll cram into it?

Personally, I'm looking foreward to the 1-on-1's between Cap and Cyclops. It's gonna be great to see how Cyc can suddenly hang in a H2H fight with Cap and how his optic blast, even when blocked with the shield, will knock Cap on his ass...
    Last edited by The Black One; 04-18-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth mockery condemnation misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly love=lies life=death self=dark side

Quote Originally Posted by The Black One View Post
    The upcoming AvX storyline will be ripe for PIS. Just much overclocking and understaing do you think they'll cram into it?

Personally, I'm looking foreward to the 1-on-1's between Cap and Cyclops. It's gonna be great to see how Cyc can suddenly hang in a H2H fight with Cap and how his optic blast, even when blocked with the shield, will knock Cap on his ass...
    To be fair Cyclops also will not use a wide-angle blast either... But yeah, all of that will happen I imagine.

Mostly the fact that Thor does not decimate everyone involved will probably be the biggest chunk of PIS.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    - That is all.

AvX... how much comic book stuff can they manage should be the title of this post

Maybe. But really PIS is more of a rumbles oriented thing. Nothing wrong with that, I like to read the rumbles and occasionally post there.

But a lot of what is considered PIS in a rumble situation is just a normal cool story in a comic book. Something like Cyclops/Cap being somewhat evenly matched isn't a huge issue to me, because it will probably be more about them yelling/talking at each other as they fight about their opposing philosophies. If one of them just instantly goes down, well what fun is that? Of course it would be nice if it's done in a way that makes some sort of sense, sure.

Now if you have someone like Daredevil taking down Colossus or something, yes that's stupid. There needs to be a balance between presenting a good entertaining battle and having it reflect the combatants power levels/skills.

Also keep in mind that unlike most rumbles unless it's some sort of scenario, stuff like fighting spirit or whatever you want to call it, character quirks, emotions, etc... play into these battles.

If everything in comics was done with a rumbles mentality, then 99% of the time the fastest character would win in one panel.
    Last edited by destro; 04-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by destro View Post
    Maybe. But really PIS is more of a rumbles oriented thing. Nothing wrong with that, I like to read the rumbles and occasionally post there.

But a lot of what is considered PIS in a rumble situation is just a normal cool story in a comic book. Something like Cyclops/Cap being somewhat evenly matched isn't a huge issue to me, because it will probably be more about them yelling/talking at each other as they fight about their opposing philosophies. If one of them just instantly goes down, well what fun is that? Of course it would be nice if it's done in a way that makes some sort of sense, sure.

Now if you have someone like Daredevil taking down Colossus or something, yes that's stupid. There needs to be a balance between presenting a good entertaining battle and having it reflect the combatants power levels/skills.

Also keep in mind that unlike most rumbles unless it's some sort of scenario, stuff like fighting spirit or whatever you want to call it, character quirks, emotions, etc... play into these battles.

If everything in comics was done with a rumbles mentality, then 99% of the time the fastest character would win in one panel.
    Meh.
    PIS is terrible, in my opinion, at least in most cases.
    Like for example, what you are talking about with Cyclops and Cap, it is not PIS why Cyclops would not use a wide-angle blast. Cyclops generally would not try to kill him. Quite the same as why Cap would not throw his shield through the back of Scott's head.
    The hand-to-hand fight would be entertaining, even with PIS off. Cap should win pretty handily but not in a complete stomp so it would be fun to watch.

However, when they have to blatantly ignore powers, I really hate it.
    I am of the opinion that if you cannot write a story for a character then do not write for them. Or, alternatively, do not write a character that powerful.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    - That is all.

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Well, to be honest, PIS has already started, in FORCE.

AvX Issue 1, almost 2 weeks ago, includes Cyclops O-Blasting Cap right off of his lawn - but using a narrow blast. Cap blocks it, but somehow still gets launched 20 feet back into the Pacific Ocean, where he can oh-by-the-way still stand up. The Avengers jump in now over a group including Magneto out of a metal ship (note: metal ship and Avengers hovering at the ready covered in Avengers more than AvX). Anyway, AvX 2 is going to be a fight, it looks like. Given the teams on hand (no Thor, yes Magneto and Emma) it doesn't seem that the AssembledR Avengers should last more than seconds. That's clearly not how it's going to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Well, to be honest, PIS has already started, in FORCE.

AvX Issue 1, almost 2 weeks ago, includes Cyclops O-Blasting Cap right off of his lawn - but using a narrow blast. Cap blocks it, but somehow still gets launched 20 feet back into the Pacific Ocean, where he can oh-by-the-way still stand up. The Avengers jump in now over a group including Magneto out of a metal ship (note: metal ship and Avengers hovering at the ready covered in Avengers more than AvX). Anyway, AvX 2 is going to be a fight, it looks like. Given the teams on hand (no Thor, yes Magneto and Emma) it doesn't seem that the AssembledR Avengers should last more than seconds. That's clearly not how it's going to go down.
    Then Thor will show up. Suffer a PIS stroke, and go home, while the X-Men scratch their heads and say, "Domino isn't even here, what the devil just happened?"
    Armored Frame Division #27: Starlancer Flight - Roland Vance Xel'Tais

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Iron Man and Vision lasting more than a second or two against a team with Magneto would be fairly epic PIS if Tony hasn't done a lot of Comicscience-Fu in advance.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'yleh View Post
    Then Thor will show up. Suffer a PIS stroke, and go home, while the X-Men scratch their heads and say, "Domino isn't even here, what the devil just happened?"
    Actually Thor is in space trying to directly take the fight to the Phoenix Force, so there gave a pretty credible answer why he's not around.

Quote Originally Posted by tjarvis View Post
    Actually Thor is in space trying to directly take the fight to the Phoenix Force, so there gave a pretty credible answer why he's not around.
    Yup, he's leading the team into space to try to stop it. We all pretty much know in advance how that's going to work out, so, um, why bother them, Cap? Oh, yeah, because the fight with the X-Men is really hard to justify with a living Thor on the Avengers side.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Yup, he's leading the team into space to try to stop it. We all pretty much know in advance how that's going to work out, so, um, why bother them, Cap? Oh, yeah, because the fight with the X-Men is really hard to justify with a living Thor on the Avengers side.
    So... you would rather the Avengers not try to pre-emptively block the Phoenix Force from reach Earth, and just lay out a red carpet for it to find a host? I mean, yeah, those jaded readers like us can predict what's going to happen, but you can't fault the characters for trying to use a tactic that actually has some sense and as far as they know could actually work. Besides, who else are you going to send after the Phoenix Force when you no longer have the Sentry?
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Besides, who else are you going to send after the Phoenix Force when you no longer have the Sentry?
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    ROTFLMAO!!
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln

"We thought that by making your world more violent, we would make it more 'realistic,' more 'adult.' God help us if that's what it means."

-Grant Morrison to Animal Man, Animal Man #26

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Omega, I thought we were against deliberate curbstomps. How much PIS would it take for the mere Phoenix Force to last more than three panels against Doreen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    So... you would rather the Avengers not try to pre-emptively block the Phoenix Force from reach Earth, and just lay out a red carpet for it to find a host? I mean, yeah, those jaded readers like us can predict what's going to happen, but you can't fault the characters for trying to use a tactic that actually has some sense and as far as they know could actually work. Besides, who else are you going to send after the Phoenix Force when you no longer have the Sentry?

True, true - they have to try something, and I guess the God with the hammer capable of absorbing nearly unlimited levels of energy is the only real option. I'm just sad that it's not going to matter in the slightest, since they're going to have Thor throw the hammer, or try to punch the sun-sized firebird, rather than directly dialing up a d-dump, or antiforce, or energy absorbtion, or whatever it takes.