Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Where is Slott to shut down this fanfic?

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IronMagnus View Post
    I would like to see them together, if only for a little while. And I want to see MJ's reaction, since she and Carol were friends.
    Interesting... I'd read it

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Where is Slott to shut down this fanfic?
    He's off politely crushing darthfury's dreams
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Sure, why not? What's really the point of making him single if he's not going to hook up with anyone? He's spends about 90% of his time hanging around with other superheroes these days, and a pre-existing female hero usually has a built-in fan base, as a opposed to a brand new supporting character. Let's face it, if it's not MJ or Gwen we fans are either going to be 1.) apathetic to the new girl or 2.) straight up hostile towards her. (Carlie)

Romantic sub-plots have been a staple of Amazing Spider-Man since it's inception and even though the current books have been pretty good, the absence of Pete's love-life has it feeling rather incomplete (imo.)

No.

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

You know why this pairing actually is bad, right? Because Spider-Man is a bigger character than Carol Danvers (FAR bigger). And it would really undercut Carol's new series if she were in a relationship with a bigger character (similar to the reasons Batman/Wonder Woman or Superman/Wonder Woman are a bad idea.)
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    You know why this pairing actually is bad, right? Because Spider-Man is a bigger character than Carol Danvers (FAR bigger). And it would really undercut Carol's new series if she were in a relationship with a bigger character (similar to the reasons Batman/Wonder Woman or Superman/Wonder Woman are a bad idea.)
    Spider-Man is a pretty small guy. He's only 5'9 or 5'10. Isn't Carol just as tall or taller?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Ronin View Post
    Make it Happen!
    Personally, I feel that Carol and Peter should take their time with their friendship slowly in the background. In addition, it might be best to diversify Peter's mutual relationship to no more than 6 female heroines because I don't think that any one person on the Spider-Man side should standout as a potential love interest. The idea is to expand those mutual relationships beyond The Black Cat. Thus, if there are 5-6 other heroines(Besides Black Cat) who are interested in Spider-Man, than a writer could choose which one to use because he wouldn't be stuck with using The Black Cat. There are writers who might like The She-Hulk, Silver Sable, Psylocke, Spider-Woman, or Ms. Marvel. So it gives the writer a chance to use a their favorite heroine(who has a positive chemistry with Spidey) in a team-up story with Spider-Man that they wouldn't otherwise had used. I could see a mutual friendship among the women I have mentioned for Spider-Man. But, it is best to leave things at the close friends level and not extend it into a serious relationship because it would cause a conflict of interest among those who may or may not like the idea. Therefore, a longterm friendship with a heroine might be ideal for Spider-Man with a little tension between them. Here is a quote from SW:

Quote Originally Posted by stephen wacker View Post
    I was the one here who wanted Pete and Carol to go out on a date in the first place, so i have a vested interest in this, BUT...

While I like the idea of and understand Pete and Carol on a date (and I think Carol would legitimately enjoy hanging around Pete as opposed to the other members of the Avengers)...I don't think she would ever go beyond being pals. She's got higher standards than that. I don't like the idea of Carol "settling". Doesn't track with her history to me.

(Brian Reed wrote a nice issue of Ms Marvel with pete and carol out having dinner in the city).

SW
    This is a statement that I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Spider-Man is a pretty small guy. He's only 5'9 or 5'10. Isn't Carol just as tall or taller?
    Carol is actually 5'7 and I think that Peter is around 5'10 to 5'11. At least that's was what the old official guide said about their descriptive heights in the 1980's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Sure, why not? What's really the point of making him single if he's not going to hook up with anyone? He's spends about 90% of his time hanging around with other superheroes these days, and a pre-existing female hero usually has a built-in fan base, as a opposed to a brand new supporting character. Let's face it, if it's not MJ or Gwen we fans are either going to be 1.) apathetic to the new girl or 2.) straight up hostile towards her. (Carlie)

Romantic sub-plots have been a staple of Amazing Spider-Man since it's inception and even though the current books have been pretty good, the absence of Pete's love-life has it feeling rather incomplete (imo.)

Personally, I don't think that Peter should be in a relationship with anyone at this time
    . The only reason why fans were hostile towards Carlie because the relationship never took its time to grow organically as a mutual relationship first. This way, the fans who have come to like the character. I still feel that Carlie isn't out of the game with Peter Parker. It's just going to take its time from this point onwards in a slow and steady manner. Just like Peter's relationship with Mary Jane is just taking its time slowly.

This is why The Black Cat rejected him because she didn't want to be known as the rebound girl for Spider-Man. Any woman who is interested in Spider-Man/Peter Parker is not going to have a serious relationship with a man who just got dumped by his recent ex-girlfriend. There are no Friends with Benefits for Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 04-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.

So, I thought it might be an interesting idea to have Peter retreat (temporarily) into his life as Spdier-Man following a particularly disappointing event as Peter Parker. As a result of this, he's making some...not well thought out decisions. Make him a bit desperate, make her a bit desperate, and have them have a passionate, unhealthy relationship for a few issues, then use that to pull them out of the hole they're in and realize that they have other things that are more important to them and that it can't continue. Ms. Marvel works for that role because of a previously established attraction.

BUUUUUUUUUT...I don't think that works anymore. That idea would be, in my mind, the final straw before a reunification with Ms. Watson, as it helps him realize what's the most important to him, but not only to I think that's going to be moved further away after Ends of the Earth, but the two players aren't in position as well anymore. When Spider-Man was on the Avengers and Carol wasn't getting her own book. since things have changed now, well, it doesn't really work anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm not sure I can agree here.

"Pairing" (not always romantically) a lesser known character with a more popular one is a common way to bring in readers from the bigger character. It's "oh, let's see what they do with him in this new book". Spidey isn't a guest star everywhere because he needs more notoriety.

That said, I think it'd be considerably more difficult to do a romantic pairing, but eh, with enough coordination.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Carol is actually 5'7 and I think that Peter is around 5'10 to 5'11. At least that's was what the old official guide said about their descriptive heights in the 1980's.
    Carol is listed as 5'11'', 124 lbs. in all the current handbooks.

Back in the 1985 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, under her entry as Binary, she was 5'11'', 120 lbs.

So she's put on 4 lbs over the years. That must be where the fat jokes come from.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I'm not sure I can agree here.

"Pairing" (not always romantically) a lesser known character with a more popular one is a common way to bring in readers from the bigger character. It's "oh, let's see what they do with him in this new book". Spidey isn't a guest star everywhere because he needs more notoriety.

That said, I think it'd be considerably more difficult to do a romantic pairing, but eh, with enough coordination.
    The problem is that characters like Carol Danvers (who Gerry Conway wrote the first few issues of her original solo series) and Power Girl (who Gerry Conway helped create) is that these characters are defined by the ideas of feminism (particularly of the late 60s, early 70s) and being in a relationship with a man who completely overshadows them is diminishing to them as solo-characters.

(Not saying these characters being in a relationship is a bad thing. But it should not be with a bigger, more established character. It is bad for these characters thematically.)
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Back in the 1985 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, under her entry as Binary, she was 5'11'', 120 lbs.

So she's put on 4 lbs over the years. That must be where the fat jokes come from.
    Wow. Spider-Man is a manlet. So short. He and MJ must have looked like an awkward looking couple.

BANNED

What's the point of Peter having a love interest at all when we all know it's not going to go anywhere due to the current powers that be at Marvel?

...and if a love interest isn't going to go anywhere then what's the point of Peter being Peter?

He should be Spider-Man 24/7 and not have a social life at all as Peter. Spider-Man's social life basically takes place in his Peter persona.

Interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post
    What's the point of Peter having a love interest at all when we all know it's not going to go anywhere due to the current powers that be at Marvel?

...and if a love interest isn't going to go anywhere then what's the point of Peter being Peter?

He should be Spider-Man 24/7 and not have a social life at all as Peter. Spider-Man's social life basically takes place in his Peter persona
    That would be boring. I like the Peter/Spidey side equally. And I personally feel that Peter should not be in a relationship with anyone because he just broke up with Carlie Cooper. I say let he remain single for a long period of time until his mutual relationships, heroines or not, get a chance to establish themselves. The moment when there is a serious relationship with anyone other than Mary Jane, we'll see the same problem that led to the break up with Peter's relationship with Carlie Cooper. Let us give the writers the chance to tell their stories. For those who are interested in doing a mutual relationship between Spider-Man and a Heroine, let them decide which heroine to use rather than the Black Cat. On the Peter Parker side, let's give the writers a chance to slowly develop his relationship with Mary Jane and Betty Brant once again.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 04-16-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dragon View Post

He should be Spider-Man 24/7 and not have a social life at all as Peter. Spider-Man's social life basically takes place in his Peter persona.
    A love interest can have an impact on his life without them immediately getting married.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

This July Carol will ride Peter like a Harley....
    Cyclops ad portas